Madstad wind management
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Madstad wind management

Madstad wind management

I notice that there is lot of wind hitting me on my cheeks, also wind rushing from behind and pushing me from back (cold air on back of my neck). I've adjust my Madstad one time since installed and also have mirror wings. What adjustments do I need to make to keep the cold air out. I plan to install other Baker or similar products.

Quote Originally Posted by wantone View Post
    I notice that there is lot of wind hitting me on my cheeks, also wind rushing from behind and pushing me from back (cold air on back of my neck). I've adjust my Madstad one time since installed and also have mirror wings. What adjustments do I need to make to keep the cold air out. I plan to install other Baker or similar products.
    Adjust the rake so that the shield is not "standing up" too much. My perfect adjustment is where the outer and inner have approximately the same rake. The outer shield bottom is about an inch higher than the bottom of the inner one. Try that.

I did not like having the mirror air wings with the Madstad. It changed the air flow. I removed them.
    2014 F6B Deluxe - Yellow

Waaaay back when I got mine, I rode with the hardware barely tight, I would make adjustments every couple of miles of riding til I got the protection I wanted. After reading and trying to help Madstad buyers, it seems many adjustments I did, did not exactly work for others. Too many variations, people height, helmet, etc... I wasn't looking for isolation, makes the ride to hot and stuffy. I know others are looking for a behind a car windshield feel.
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    IMHO, folks try to buy/use as small a shield as they can w/the Madstad. It's a great system but it isn't going to provide 'massive' amounts of air movement with a small shield. I'm on a RDL saddle that raises me up a bit, and I'm long in the torso. I run a 15 inch shield, the Wife runs a 13. I've tried the 13 in all different combinations. It just won't do what the 15 does for me.

I use the Wings in summer to pull air in. Shield in various 'heights' depending on how much air I want over the top helmet vents. Shield 'rake' is equal to base rake, not stood up 'straight' like recommended, UNLESS I'm puttering through the country, looking for absolute min wind noise to listen to the bike speakers.

I can still easily see over the top of the 15" shield with it slid all the way up to the top of the slots and with the rake set to match the base. Even with the Wings set 'neutral', I get less air swirling around my ears with the wings removed. Now that its cooled off a little, I have pulled my wings off 'for the winter'.

Quote Originally Posted by chipmaker View Post
    After reading and trying to help Madstad buyers, it seems many adjustments I did, did not exactly work for others. Too many variations, people height, helmet, etc... I wasn't looking for isolation, makes the ride to hot and stuffy. I know others are looking for a behind a car windshield feel.
    All true. I'm as wide as a barn, and 'narrow' folks the same height as myself will not experience the same results with the same settings.

Agree on the isolation,,, I do not believe full isolation is possible. I have some jacked-up eyes that can't handle a lot of wind. If I'm going to run shorter/slower rides, I can do alright with a 1/2 helmet/snap on shield. Super-slabs / road trips require a 3/4 or full face, both w/shield

I notice that there is lot of wind hitting me on my cheeks, also wind rushing from behind and pushing me from back (cold air on back of my neck).
    Air from behind,,, When I experience this, my shield is set too straight and wings are full closed. This creates a large 'bubble' of low pressure that has air rushing up from behind to fill.

Assuming the underlying issue is a cold neck/cold body, have you tried a neck gaiter to keep your neck warm?

Quote Originally Posted by royr View Post
    I did not like having the mirror air wings with the Madstad. It changed the air flow. I removed them.
    Everyone is different! I love my air wings, I've said before, the best addition to any bike...ever! I have one of the first Madstad's with more adjustments possible than yours.

I haven't tried the Madstat, but have had a 19" Slipstreamer with vent, Klockwerks and currently am running a Vstream. I've also tired many different shields on various other bikes over the years and here is what I experienced and concluded. A shorter shield that you look over will always provide more airflow and sometimes more buffeting than a taller shield that you look through.

If you want the most protection from the wind get the tallest shield out there with the most rake/angle and look through it. There is a difference between having clean air hit you versus turbulent/dirty air (aka buffeting). Most folks just want to get rid of as much dirty air as possible and are okay with clean air hitting them, but some riders want as little air flow as possible. If you are one of those riders then go with the tallest shield you can find for the most protection from the wind.

Finally, riding a bike will always result in more airflow on the rider than riding in a car so if you're expecting a perfectly calm cockpit you will likely never be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by XKnight View Post
    Finally, riding a bike will always result in more airflow on the rider than riding in a car .
    Yup, and the fairing on the6 stops/redirects a lot of wind already,,

The 6 is the first 'real' faired bike I've had. I've pretty much forgotten what it was like to ride with just a shield or a 'batwing' type fairing,,,

I stick my arm or leg out doin 70 every once in a while just to 'remind' me,,,