Training--Looking to increase my riding skills - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Training--Looking to increase my riding skills

Quote Originally Posted by 4bobo View Post
    I am not looking for free. Happy to pay for the right instruction. Can you point me in the right direction?
    I just picked that one video randomly, I do not know what locations offer the BRC2 (experienced course) for free, other than PA, but I am not aware of any basic courses for free. That said, you can find a location here:

http://www.msf-usa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Just to clear up some MSF nomenclature -

- the Basic Rider Course (BRC) is for beginners or anyone riding on a permit who is still unsure of their basic skill set. It is 5 hours of classroom, and 12 hours of Range time on the "trainer" bikes. If the written and skills tests are passed, the Permit is stamped and becomes a Class M license.

- The Basic Rider 2 Course (BRC2) - aka the Experienced Rider Course up until a few years ago - is a one day class where you bring your own bike. The skills and exercises are more advanced than the BRC, but it is still a class where people riding with permits can get a stamp for a Class M license. I ran a group of 12 Ride Captains from the local club and sure enough, the ones who "already knew everything and just here for giggles" were the ones who actually failed the class. The other 10 riders took it seriously, and walked away, self admittedly, better riders than they were at 8 AM that morning. I can vouch that it has been an eye opener for anyone who has taken it from me -not because of me, but because I watched their faces as the light bulb got brighter and brighter...

- The Advanced Rider Course (ARC) is another one day event that should not be taken lightly. You need to be thoroughly familiar with your bike and self confident in your own abilities taking this course. This is not a licensing course and does not pander to a "desired outcome." It is focused on making better riders. I am taking this course on the F6B on 1 Nov here in Philadelphia.

hiflyer: Thanks for that video - I work with Joyce and Chris in the Pennsylvania Motorcycle Safety Program, PAMSP.
    All our courses are free to anyone with a PA license, or Active Duty Military serving on a base in PA, or a civilian working on a military base in PA who must conform to the rules of the base if they are to ride on the base and that includes taking a course every three years (we have lots of Jersey folks who like free rather than the $250 for the MSF NJ courses.)

I honestly cannot wait to put this "6" through the ARC. I know we are both going to learn new things that day.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    I guess I was typing the same time you posted this. Good to know others with the same interest in rider training as I, are members of this forum. Maybe we need to make an "Okie" video! I am one of those who thinks the BRC2 should still be called the experienced riders course.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bobo View Post
    I am not looking for free. Happy to pay for the right instruction. Can you point me in the right direction?

https://www.google.com/search?q=adva...lz=&gws_rd=ssl

In Houston, I'd go here as I went to their basic MSF course:

https://www.awesomecycles.com/occ_ex...course_erc.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    I am one of those who thinks the BRC2 should still be called the experienced riders course.
    Ditto. I have gotten too many Basic Riders on some "Full-Tilt-Boogie" bikes and they just made a bit of a mess of the bikes and sometimes themselves.
    I tell BRC students that when they get a bike, they should be actively riding for a year on that bike and be very comfortable before enrolling in the BRC2.

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    Good to know others with the same interest in rider training as I, are members of this forum.
    Any other Rider Coaches out there? At the next Rally, we can get a group photo and send it to MSF. Maybe we can write off the trip as a business expense.....
    Cheers,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Ditto. I have gotten too many Basic Riders on some "Full-Tilt-Boogie" bikes and they just made a bit of a mess of the bikes and sometimes themselves.
    I tell BRC students that when they get a bike, they should be actively riding for a year on that bike and be very comfortable before enrolling in the BRC2.

Any other Rider Coaches out there? At the next Rally, we can get a group photo and send it MSF. Maybe we can write off the trip as a business expense.....
    Cheers,
    Steve
    I'm a Rider Trainer and Vic Roads Officer in Melbourne Australia. Totally agree. It's all about practice. Get comfortable on your bike and keep practicing the basics of braking, counter steering, looking where you go and scanning the road ahead. These are the skills that need to be instinctive when you are riding. You don't want the first time you have to do an emergency stop to be the time a truck pulls out on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    I'd say the Advanced Riders Course would be a good recomendation. They have 'em here in TX, but not 'free',,,
    It also took the advanced riders course at Road America in Wis. I did learn alot. When we were done we get do go around the race track one time. I was doing about 100 mph at times you could not pass anyone. That was the best part.

I would practice on a smaller, lighter bike. I cannot imagine developing riding skills on the F6B.
    Re-tired, or Re-tard. Depends on your attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by motoman View Post
    I would practice on a smaller, lighter bike. I cannot imagine developing riding skills on the F6B.
    I've taken the ARC before, but not on the F6B.... Because bikes handle differently, taking the ARC on the bikes you ride is quintessential to success.
    It would be silly to take the ARC on a Buell Blast and then park the Buell and ride the "6" for 15,000 miles.
    Although, taking the ARC on a Blast suddenly sounds like a lot of fun.......

Cheers,
    Steve

Check out stayinsafe.com

Taken from their site..........

The Stayin’ Safe experience combines the pleasures of motorcycle touring with real world, real-time advanced skills coaching. Regardless of which tour you choose, our programs are similar in that they offer riders of nearly every motorcycle type a fun opportunity to enjoy some of the best riding roads and attractions in the country while also learning advanced visual strategies and techniques for smoother cornering and safer riding. With a target ratio of three or four participants to each tour leader/coach, we conduct our instructional tours primarily on mountain roads, in rural settings and smallish towns with limited riding on divided highways and in urban environments (although we do have programs available for this type of riding).

www.stayinsafe.com

Is there any course Gold Wing or F6B specific?

BMW offers both on road and off road courses at their Spartanburg, SC facility:

http://www.bmwusa.com/performancecenter#motorcycle

Honda has a much bigger market share so my hope is that there is that type of course availability.

I doubt there would ever be an F6B specific course but with all the police on Gold Wings, I would think there is something out there.

Thank you for all the great responses.