Kuryakyn Heal Toe Shifter... had to go - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kuryakyn Heal Toe Shifter... had to go

Kuryakyn Heal Toe Shifter

Mine is laying in the garage! Mine moved the peg out an I was always dragging in the left turns.
    Right beside the mini boards.
    Ok he's done

I put the mini boards back on!! I'm sick of the led position
    Ok he's done

Curious about your lean angle. I have the floor boards and h/t shifter and was always dragging the boards in the turns. Took the boards off and put the stock pegs back on and have yet to drag . Are you dragging your stock pegs in the turns?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994

Not sure who that's directed at Bill, but I drag my OEM pegs; I just about have the bolt head on the bottom worn off

To update my HT shifter experience, shortly after my original post I decided my problems were rider error and decided to give the shifter another shot. After figuring out that I need to pay more attention to shifting, I've been using it successfully for the past several months... to the point of even recommending it to a few others.

Well, I wish I could take back everyone of those recommendations!

A few days ago my bike started dropping out of 2nd and 3rd gear!!!!!!! This happened multiple times. Sometimes under hard load... about midway of climbing through the RPM's in 2nd, the bike would plop into neutral and instead of accelerating I'd be coasting and revving a free spinning engine! Other times the bike would fall out of 2nd gear like this under light load.

Yesterday I removed the HT shifter (again!) and am once again monitoring the situation. After a day or so with the OEM shifter I have not had a gear flop.

I'm fed up with this POS and sending it straight to the round file. This gear dropping thing has me so flustered that I won't bother listing it for sale or give it to anyone; I don't want anyone else going through these issues.

If I happened to suggest trying a heal-toe shifter to you, please disregard that; not recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by RcBtx1999 View Post
    Folks who ride Goldwings have tranny problems when they install the heel toe shifter and big floorboards. The weight of the shifter stress the tranny and sometimes riders have a tendency with the larger floorboards to rest part of the foot against or on some of the linkage. Ergo the problem.
    I saw people suggest that but never saw anything definitive. GoldwingGreg is VERY adamant that the HT shifter doesn't harm the tranny, and it was his writings that convinced me to give it a shot.

At this point idk what to think. I know Greg has a ton of very in-depth mechanical experience on the Gl1800, but my tranny sure doesn't like the shifter.

Here's a thought, after reading your post it struck me that when I had my Harley Touring bikes, which came stock with floorboards and heel toe shifters, I used to remove the heel part, they came in 2 pieces. The reason was having a size 12 boot, especially with a defined heel which sometimes protruded under the shifters, I would just squeeze inside that space. I found that same things were happening to me till I removed the heel part. Seems that because my left foot was in such a tight space I would inadvertently be hitting the shifter and not even know it. I don't know if the Kury comes in 2 pieces but if it does try it, you'll still wind up with a nice I floorboard.

Quote Originally Posted by stepbill View Post
    Curious about your lean angle. I have the floor boards and h/t shifter and was always dragging the boards in the turns. Took the boards off and put the stock pegs back on and have yet to drag . Are you dragging your stock pegs in the turns?
    I drag my stock pegs in the turns. That is one reason I won't go to floor boards.

Thanks for the thought, Tax, but this HT is one piece and I've never ridden on the heal part. I press down on the toe part when downshifting, and I press down on the heal part when upshifting; otherwise my foot never touches the thing.

The GL1800 tranny is one of the most finicky in the industry already... and from what I see this shifter just makes that worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    I drag my stock pegs in the turns. That is one reason I won't go to floor boards.
    Yeah Jimmy! Ride like you mean it

If anyone wants to sell their HT shifter with the floor boards if they're just laying around PM me. I'm not an agressive driver or shifter plus I'll lop that heel shifter off toot sweet. I'm just used to the big boards and I need that shifter up higher.