A bad day in Green Bay - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: A bad day in Green Bay

G'day Neil and mrs Neil !
    1st chance I've had to check website etc as you know.
    Glad to hear your both ok but sorry the bikes a bit twisted.
    Hope you get it all sorted and are back riding soon.
    Cheers
    Roger

Neil, sorry to hear about your accident. Tell your dear wife we wish her a speedy recovery.

You got a lot of advice here, some good, some not so good. I did biker personal injury cases for years, both plaintiff and defense. You need a lawyer who understands motorcycle accidents. There are too many things that can adversely effect you and her, both now and in the future. Small examples; , loss of use for the time your bike is not available,and how do you determine the loss in value for your bike? It will be worth less after the repairs than a similar bike that was never involved in an accident...and there are many more small issues that merit concern.

If you don't know a lawyer in the area of the accident pick up one of the many biker magazines. There will be ads. Motorcycle laws may not be the same as auto laws, and you need someone on your side. The insurance company relies on trained professionals who handle these claims every day. You need someone working for you who knows what's real and what's urban legend.

As you are starting to learn, medical expenses aren't cheap. Did you know your medical insurance company and property damage insurance company will have a right to recovery? The term is subrogation, and they have a right to demand your cooperation if they choose to go after the at fault driver. So you may wind up in court whether you like it or not. Your lawyer can handle these details for you.

When you're dealing with the insurance company how do you make sure you're compensated for loss of quality of life? If there are lingering issues after all the medical treatment your life will change. and you deserve to be compensated for it.

Sorry this response turned out to be so long, but I don't want to see you make a mistake that can't be corrected. It was a pleasure meeting you both in Franklin and I'd hate to see you get screwed by an insurance company.

Neil,
    Not much I can add but that I am happy you and the wife are going to be ok.
    Sad that your bike with the touches you had put into it got hit, but like the boyz said it can be repaired,hopefully replaced.
    You have some excellent advice here,I would point out the suggestions on future problems because of the immediate injuries to both of you.Make sure that is taken into account as once you sign and accept you will have no further recourse ,even if it is proven the problems down the road are from the accident.
    Adding that I know about this from my injuries during my youth. They healed,but I pay for them as I have gotten older.
    The other is the comment on being hounded about money up front from the hospitals. My own experience has been they have always done that. I have had surgeries scheduled,showed up and was caught off guard by a demand for partial payment for the procedure,even though I had/have excellent insurance. That was before ACA,had nothing to do with it. Just the way it is .
    Heal fast ,my best to you and your wife,hope she continues to ride with you and that you get your bike handled quickly.

Just saw this. Big ouch. So glad to see and hear you both are okay.
    Good luck with everything.
    Matt.