Cracked front fender
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cracked front fender

Cracked front fender

I installed a 7inch fender extension from Show Chrome. And a few days later the rear of the front fender was cracked in two places. I don't know how it cracked or if the fender extension had anything to do with it. I don't plan on put the extension back on. I glued and taped the fender back together until the new fender comes.
    Attachment 9135Attachment 9136

There have been some reports of this happening on the Goldwing forums..I understand it puts unnecessary stress on the lower part of the front fender causing it to crack...This is a major issue with Victory Vision's, as I had one for over (3) years, and the rear portion of the front fender would often split/crack on certain bikes due, supposedly, to a faulty design from the factory....I traded mine before any fender issues but know many who are still fighting with Victory.....

Jack.
    I also had my fender break using a extension. Im fairly certian it was caused by stones getting caught in the tire tread then getting pinched between the tire and the fender. I had fixed it the first time and it was good until I put on a new front tire. 2 trips down the gravel road I live on and it broke the fender and the side fender tabs that it mounts to.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Mine broke the lower screw 'tabs' off my front rear fender, then the fender commenced to self-destruct.

Replaced busted fender. Extension now sits in my attic. So far, so good!

Clearly, there is a pattern forming. No fender extension equals no cracked fender.

Add me to the list of broken rear fenders because of the Show Chrome Fender Extension. My Honda Dealer replaced the fender under warranty since they installed the extension before I bought the bike. I waited awhile (2-3 weeks) before I put the extension on the replacement fender. After reading this post I think I'll take it off again.

I really like the way it looks and I like the way it reduces the mess at the bottom of the bike when you run though water runoff but if I have to pay ~$150 every couple of months it's not worth it.

Carl
    2013 Black Smoke Chrome LE Honda Goldwing F6B 04/26/2014
    2007 Blue/White Suzuki M109R LE 05/02/2007
    2003 Candy Red Honda VTX1800C 04/01/2005
    1999 Black/Red Honda Valkyrie Interstate 05/05/2012 (Sold 7/25/15)
    1973 Gold Honda CB750 Four 04/16/2010

The conclusion I've drawn concerning this is that the heavier fender extenders tend to crack the fender just as you have described. I use an extender myself but it's a lighter, plastic one called the Fenda Extenda made by Pyramid Plastics. So far, this has worked out just fine. I have friends running these and they have had no problems either. I do believe the extender is useful in protecting the front of the engine so I plan to keep using it.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Ah nuts. I wanted to get one for keeping mud off the engine and looks... but idk now.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    The conclusion I've drawn concerning this is that the heavier fender extenders tend to crack the fender just as you have described. I use an extender myself but it's a lighter, plastic one called the Fenda Extenda made by Pyramid Plastics. So far, this has worked out just fine. I have friends running these and they have had no problems either. I do believe the extender is useful in protecting the front of the engine so I plan to keep using it.
    Got any pics?

Can't seem to find a pic of the GL version on the manufacturers website, Amazon, or,,,?

Well Jack, here is my 2 cents. I had two Gl1800s with the same fender extension and no problems. One had a mileage of 167,000. How ever on my F6B, it appears some one at the factory over tightened the left side upper and broke a chunk out. the fender was replaced under warranty we found the broken edges were like polished where the broken piece had rubbed. The fender area had made a banging noise from day one. It was only lately that three of the lower bold areas broke. TO my knowledge there is no prohibition by Mother Honda on fender extensions.
    Deer Slayer
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it.