Cracked front fender - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Cracked front fender

I have a tube of Permatex Red Hi-Temp RTV sealant left over from a previous project. I plan on using that; together with some additional 3M double sided tape; to affix the Fenda Extenda to the fender of my F6B.

I really don't want to drill into the fender and install the little plastic rivets (4 of them) that sent with it.

I know that the Red RTV sealant is some incredibly sticky and grippy stuff when it cures. Should be OK with securing the Fenda Extenda.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

shooter
    No. In my professional opinion it isn't good enough. You need a good epoxy. Just trying to help. You don't want to combine two fastening systems at the contact point. RTV and the tape is a no go.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    No. In my professional opinion it isn't good enough. You need a good epoxy. Just trying to help. You don't want to combine two fastening systems at the contact point. RTV and the tape is a no go.
    Thanks for that advice. I did not apply the RTV sealant as of yet.

I am having some difficulty test fitting the Extenda Fenda to the front fender; and then installing it on the forks and checking the tire clearance.

I used some 3m double sided tape to hold the Fenda Extenda more securely than the supplied tape already on it. If I make the Fenda Extenda completely flush against the inside of the OEM fender; and then test fit it on the bike; the end of the Fenda Extenda is really close to the tire.

If I fit the Fenda Extenda with a slight relaxed gap/space on the inside of the fender; it seems to be mounted more naturally with the curve of the OEM fender. Which also shows that there is more space between the trailing edge of the Fenda Extenda and the tire.

So I assume that others whom have installed this; had a little gap on the inside of the OEM fender; with the Fenda Extenda? Or was the closeness of the Fenda Extenda tolerated with ensuring that it was mounted completely flat against the inside of the OEM fender?

Fits fairly well:

This is the gap I'm talking about. If I completely remove the gap; the Fenda Extenda comes really close (the trailing edge of it) to the tire; when I test fit it:

Bike looks a lot different with the fenders removed:

I am awfully tired at the moment; have been up since 2am this morning dealing with server crashes at work; and am still working on restores (remotely). So I've pretty much bagged all of this until tomorrow.... can't see staright anymore.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

I bought the one from J&P. It came gloss black and haven't had a bit of a problem. I was warned beforehand....do not overtighten as this will break it.

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    This is the gap I'm talking about. If I completely remove the gap; the Fenda Extenda comes really close (the trailing edge of it) to the tire; when I test fit it:

After much internal debating and analysis of the problem at hand regarding the fit of the Fenda Extenda; and it's minimal free space between the tire's tread; and am going to opt to leave a slight gap (a little less than pictured above); and seal it with some sort of expoxy.

This will provide for the best fit, look and clearance of the Fenda Extenda installed on the OEM fender. Guess that it is not 1,000,000,000 % accurate for a precise fit. But is is good enough for my exacting standards.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Well.. if anyone is interested further in this and is following this thread.... I figured it out

Those three pieces of sticky tape that the manufacturer of the Fenda Etenda installed? They were causing the exaggerated gap when I would try to fit the Extenda in a natural; curving position with the OEM fender. Pushing down on the gap of course was pulling the trailing edge of the Extenda closer to the tire. The tape was acting as a pivot for a fulcrum of sorts... with the exaggerated movement of the tip of the Extenda getting too close to the tire; when test fitting it.

The instructions nowhere say to remove the tape.

I've since removed the tape from the Fenda Extenda and applied a nice coat of JB Weld quick bond Epoxy to it; and now the Fenda Extenda has no gap AND fits correctly with the natural curve of the OEM fender.

We don't need no stinking tape. Or rivets for that matter.

Will be reinstalling everything tomorrow morning. Could do it tonight (this particular Epoxy cures in one hour) but I will wait a little longer...

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

the Show chrome and I are not friends i cracked mine on my wing since replaced it with a Big bike fender extension works for me now need to get one for the F6B

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    The conclusion I've drawn concerning this is that the heavier fender extenders tend to crack the fender just as you have described. I use an extender myself but it's a lighter, plastic one called the Fenda Extenda made by Pyramid Plastics. So far, this has worked out just fine. I have friends running these and they have had no problems either. I do believe the extender is useful in protecting the front of the engine so I plan to keep using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Battoo View Post
    the Show chrome and I are not friends i cracked mine on my wing sincem replaced it with a Big bike fender extension works for me now need to get one for the F6B
    Show Chrome and Big Bike is the same company. I know they make 2 or 3 different lengths.
    I will not put any kind of fender extension on my bike once is enough. And I hope no more fenders crack.