Windshield Heights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windshield Heights

Windshield Heights

Hi all, I've tried to find some info specifically about the various windshield heights, but it seems that it's a bit all over the place.

I'm also in Australia so any US manufacturer probably won't do me any good.

All I'm looking for is information on the height of windshields and then I can go shopping locally.

I'm 180cm (6') and looking for something that just sends the wind clear of the helmet at a normal riding position.

Any idea on what height I will need?......Thanks.

Perhaps we could have a 'Ready Reckoner' for various height riders looking for the same thing?

I priced a screen 16.5 inch from Canberra Motorcycles today and they want $503 plus fitting less Ulysses discount of about 10% i think.
    I've just enquired regarding a tinted 11 inch screen from 'Wingstuff" in the US and i believe the cost is $129.99 US for the screen and $160 US freight, that works out at $329 Aust, a big saving.
    I'm hoping to get an invoice from them via email tonight so i'll let you know the outcome.

Regards Chris

http://www.superbiketoystore.com/ind...f6b&_a=viewCat

Quote Originally Posted by cosborn View Post
    I priced a screen 16.5 inch from Canberra Motorcycles today and they want $503 plus fitting less Ulysses discount of about 10% i think.
    I've just enquired regarding a tinted 11 inch screen from 'Wingstuff" in the US and i believe the cost is $129.99 US for the screen and $160 US freight, that works out at $329 Aust, a big saving.
    I'm hoping to get an invoice from them via email tonight so i'll let you know the outcome.

Regards Chris

http://www.superbiketoystore.com/ind...f6b&_a=viewCat
    Thanks Chris. What height are you if it's not a personal question? I'm trying to find the correct height screen that's not too tall and not too short.....bloody hell, sounding like Goldilocks! Also very interested in your testing the waters with US deliveries. I almost fell over when I priced heated grips, backrest/carrier, centre stand from the Gold Wing Dealer on the Gold Coast. About $3k worth!, so I opted for the Centre Stand only and I'll see how I get on with the bags only as I'll be riding by myself.....and a Throttle Lock when needed.
    Cheers
    Ken.

WOW!!! The prices you guys talk about our mind blowing!!!!!! You all must make A LOT of money!!!!!! The US has our problems but we have not had our prices go up like this.

P.S. I am NOT kicking your country, just shocked by the prices !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I'm 6 ft and the tall Honda shield works perfect for me. So good I can even have a cigarette while driving.

WINDSHIELD HEIGHT

hi spewey what i did was buy a used windshield from a full size goldwing and started to adjust it to different heights to find the best height for my riding position. im 5' 10" ride in a straight up position and found that 18" measured from the top rubber on the front cowl i still had lots of buffeting on the helmut so now im at 19.5" and is a lot better, i can just see over the windshield so will probably look at 20" height. if you go this route you will have to drill some holes in the shield for lower heights, and the 19" range should bolt up in the adjustable slots and you can raise it up higher than 20". the center slot on the windshield lower slot will have to be cut for the lower heights you will see this when you start to play with it. i hope this helps and will save you money trying to figure what is best for you.............regards........bobo

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    WOW!!! The prices you guys talk about our mind blowing!!!!!!

The $160 freight from the US seems outrageous for a windscreen, but unless Tom Hanks is delivering it by life raft, what are you going to do?

Spewey - I am 6' tall (32" in seam) and sit upright on a standard saddle. I have the tall Honda OEM screen. That is 16.5" from the top edge of the rubber fairing gasket to the top of the screen. I can see over the top of the screen by about 2 to 3 inches. At regular cruising speeds (around 100 - 110 km/h) the wind just hits the top inch or so of my helmet - that causes a little noise (not bad) and very minor buffeting (again, not bad). As I speed up, the wind moves a little higher and clears the helmet by around 130 km/h and the noise and buffeting decreases. Hope this helps.

Hi Spewie,
    I'm about 6 ft and i am after a screen that comes to just under my eye line so the wind goes over the top but i don't have to look through it.
    I just got the invoice from Wing Stuff which came out to $358 au, shipping was about $180 us but the 358 is still substantially cheaper than buying here in Aust. I don't know if there is any import duty, i don't think so though. The only screen available is the super tall one which i tried but for me i have to look through it, and you can't get tinted screens here.

Guys if you think screens here are expensive, i priced an OEM passenger backrest and carrier at $1261 US.

Chris

I guess apart from the wind thing, i was also after a screen which size wise fitted in to the overall aesthetics of the whole machine, having said that I'm prepared to accept a little bit of wind.
    I did find that with the 16.5 inch screen that it wasn't too bad, just not for me.

Chris