What am I missing?

Thread: What am I missing?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What am I missing?

Fist off hello, new guy. I have a pending purchase set for Monday but I am having a REALLY hard time pulling the trigger. First a little history; I've been riding 40+ years, currently ride a BMW R1200RT, and have a bum hip which is preventing me from enjoying any distance on the RT. So with that said I've ridden about 40 miles on the F6 and like it (after the Beemer Vtwins are not an option). Handles smooth, motor is fantastic, and most important is I can throw a leg over the saddle and ride the bike any distance I want without hip pain.
    Obviously the stock shield will get replaced immediately and the passenger backrest raised, but I'm just having a REAL hard time as I stated pulling the trigger (a first for me). What am I missing here???

ps.. this is not a troll

What is your concern? We have a few here with 10,000 plus miles that may be able help answer some questions. Just your hips and comfort? My hip bothers me some from a back injury but so far the F6B is comfortable to ride.
    Welcome to the Fourm
    Avatar is a photograph I took July 4th 2009 of a flag and cannon located on Freeman's Farm at Saratoga National Park in Stillwater, New York. A location of a Revolutionary battle field and an American victory over the British in the Autumn of 1777. Let us give thanks to all Veterans past and present for their sacrifice.

I used to ride some BMWs also: R1150R, K1200R, R1200RT. After the RT and Concours 14, I love being closer to the ground, easier getting on/off and way less tippy feeling. If you are in the states, you may miss the ABS and cruise. I am fine without it. This bike is many different things to different people. For me its a fat comfy sportbike, for others its a long distance cruiser with a little less luggage than a normal 'wing. The flat seat that allows shifting around is one of my favorite parts. If I ever get the time to make really long rides, I will invest in highway pegs, and there are many to choose from. Also, with this Honda, you may never have to take it back for service, these are very low maintenance bikes.

What are your concerns?

REAL hard time as I stated pulling the trigger (a first for me). What am I missing here???
    There's about 6-degrees difference in the knee angle between the RT and the F6B. I'm not sure how much that will help your hips but it should help some. Comfort aside, if your inner voice isn't speaking (yelling) to you "buy this bike" then listen, it's not for you. As for me, When I saw the advance photos in the cycle mags I knew I was in trouble, the feeling I got was "I really have to get this bike".

The first time I rode the F6 I felt more at home on the standard GW. Took the F6 out with the Mrs on the back a few days later and actually liked it much better the second ride, maybe it was just a transitional adjustment. Rode it again yesterday and the Mrs and I really like it other than the ws which has no functionality at all above 35 mph.
    My concern is I really love the RT, but the hip kills me after a couple blocks. I really enjoy the F6 and no hip pain at all, but there is just that lingering thought that I won't be as happy on the F6. Maybe it is just the lack of so many features the RT has that the F6 doesn't? I'm not sure, but the Mrs is sold on the F6, I'm just thinking I'm missing something. Annually I ride a good 15-20k, rode to AK from PA last summer so the ease of maintenance on the F6 is a big plus. I should have said I've owned two older wings back in the day and always loved them.
    So really my dilemma is I can stick with the RT and pain, or pick up the F6 and put on some miles. Should be a no brainer right?

but the Mrs is sold on the F6
    With that very important issue explained, pull the trigger on the F6B immediately!

My wife is short and hated getting on the RT and hated the bags digging into her calfs, neither are a issue on the F6B. I thought she would miss the top pack, but she says she is very comfy on the F6B. Now I don't buy my bikes to make my wife happy, but its a big bonus when she is. Good luck, both bikes are great...

i feel your pain. i traded a bmw k1200gt that i have enjoyed for a long while. at 64, the aggressive riding stance was reeking havoc on these ol' joints now. after a couple of hundred miles, i wanted to lean it against a tree somewhere & walk the rest of the way. i ride for pleasure & riding with pain is definitely not pleasurable. i want say that i don't miss the fantastic feel of the european quality & all the little creature comforts of the beemer, but i have absolutely no regrets having made the trade. the f6b's not a bmw but it has a lot of advantages you'll eventually come to appreciate. just do it & don't look back; you'll not regret it.