Do I really need a "motorcycle" GPS for 5x the price?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do I really need a "motorcycle" GPS for 5x the price?

Do I really need a "motorcycle" GPS for 5x the price?

Garmin car GPSs cost about 1/5 of a Zumo 590LM.

I am looking at the Garmin 1597LM for 170.

It has lifetime maps, smartphone and bluetooth integration.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

I have a couple of friends that use the same type...when it rains, they put a baggie over it, if the vibration finally kills it they throw it a way and get another......who is to say which is Right? Although it is a lot cheaper !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I have the older Garmin 1450LM designed for use in cars. A couple of years ago I decided to take a two month motorcycle ride around North America and knew that I needed a GPS. My biggest concern was protecting it in the rain. I couldn't justify the high cost of the Garmin Zumo line so I used the baggie. What I found was that the baggie obscured my ability to see the screen especially when it was wet.
    That's when I decided to invest in a Garmin Zumo 350LMT. Not only was it waterproof but also had this very slick quick disconnect mount that allowed me to remove it with the press of a button when I didn't feel comfortable leaving it on the bike.
    The only downside was that the Zumo has a smaller screen.
    The Zumo 590LM is one of their most expensive models so you could save some money by getting a more affordable model.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Exploring the world, one road at a time.

I have been questioning the same thing for years. I just quietly use a little $80 "on special" unit that I snap onto a ball receiver mounted on the handlebars.

Quite frankly, the vibration produced by the F6B and many other modern bikes is no worse than many modern four wheel vehicles so I don't consider vibration a huge issue.

Rain is problematic I am sure on a non bike specific GPS unit but a baggy works in worse case circumstances as stated previously. You only need the GPS when you are in un familiar cities or exploring back roads. When I am making distance on the highway I usually have it tucked away in the cubby. It likely depends on your approach to motorcycling but I generally wouldn't be out snooping around in un familiar territory on a motorcycle in the rain in any case....I would just get where I am going and leave the exploring for a better day.

Bottom line is I have cheaped out on GPS technology and use the same unit on my bike as I do in the cage. If it gets lost, or dropped or water logged I just replace it. With a little care I have probably only been through three units in the last 8 years and two of these are still working. I just happened to get some place and needed a GPS having left it on the bike back in the shop so bought another inexpensive unit.

My approach.....my experience....for what it is worth.

tink

I tried using a Tomtom Gps on my bike. I could not view it easily in sunlight. My Zumo 450 is visible in sunlight, even while wearing dark sun-glasses.

Why not just buy a Lifeproof Waterproof case($50-60) for the iPhone and use the built in Maps program?? It has bluetooth, it's waterproof, and has turn by turn voice directions.

Quote Originally Posted by DJL951 View Post
    Why not just buy a Lifeproof Waterproof case($50-60) for the iPhone and use the built in Maps program?? It has bluetooth, it's waterproof, and has turn by turn voice directions.
    That's what I do and it works great

I use my phone, that my company pays for. It's a Motorola Droid Razr M . I have a mount that is made specifically for it. The phone is secure in it and it keeps it charged. Also, when I put the phone in the mount, it changes the screen to "vehicle" mode offering large icons for navigation and phone use. These can be customized. The phone is water resistant, not water proof, but behind the fairing it has to be really down pouring to get wet. The upside to using the phone GPS is that it can update for traffic conditions and road changes. The down side is that it does not store maps so you must have a signal when you first set up a trip. Once the map is in place, there is no issues really. Is it quite as nice as a stand alone GPS, probably not as seamless, but it functions and I can answer my phone if need be through the bluetoothe and Scala G9 on my helmet. The biggest plus is I don't pay for it.

I'm not overly fond of GPS on a motorcycle. A big reason why I ride is for solitude. That's why I'm not a big fan of sound systems either. However, on those times when I'll want one or the other, the phone hooked to the USB in the saddlebag works fine. Haven't really had a chance to put it in actual use yet, but I have tested it a couple times and it works great. Biggest thing to consider is whether you want a GPS that finally gives up on you completely if you go your own way or one that insists on redirecting you to your stated destination until you shut it off. Oh, I should say I use in ear monitors as ear plugs even with the sound off, so I'm not relying on directions coming through the speakers.
    Ride to work, work to ride
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have never seen a real need for a GPS on a bike..The old fashioned map works for me and gives also gives old guys like me a chance to stop and get off the bike for a minute...Although I marvel at modern technology, GPS's on a bike makes no sense to me.....JMHO