Do I really need a "motorcycle" GPS for 5x the price? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Do I really need a "motorcycle" GPS for 5x the price?

If you have an iPhone, downloading the TomTom app could be cheaper than getting a GPS... Check if this app has life upgrade, I think it does here in NZ.

Artiste Extraordinaire Elin in So. Cal.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL951 View Post
    Why not just buy a Lifeproof Waterproof case($50-60) for the iPhone and use the built in Maps program?? It has bluetooth, it's waterproof, and has turn by turn voice directions.
    Because when you don't get cellular reception, you are SOL. I know. Deep in the Rockies, the phone was useless. Heck, it was useless in the California High Sierras in Sequoia National Park (as was everybody else's phone).

I am toying with getting a GPS since I enjoy solo touring and wandering back roads is a pleasure. I have slightly different concerns than a 220 pound male, however.
    Most women riders I know have no desire for this kind of unwanted attention. This video explains what I mean.
    If you have cell towers and can get reception on your phone, then that's a great way to go. Out west with the vast expanses of nothing (desirable for motorcycle touring!!), I think a GPS is the way to go.
    "If it moves, paint it."

shooter
    You're right Elin. I live where there isn't always cell reception. The GPS always works unless you're in a cave. I carry a portable CB in the bag on long trips.

its only important if you want to pic your own roads to route and not auto route. If you favor the back roads it is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Elin in So. Cal. View Post

I have slightly different concerns than a 220 pound male, however.

Most women riders I know have no desire for this kind of unwanted attention. This video explains what I mean.

Note the skin color of the vast majority of the harassers...

Quote Originally Posted by foodog2 View Post
    its only important if you want to pic your own roads to route and not auto route. If you favor the back roads it is the way to go.
    How do you use it for secondary roads? I know TomTom has the winding roads thing -- is that it?
    Ride to work, work to ride
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]