Do I really need a "motorcycle" GPS for 5x the price?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I really need a "motorcycle" GPS for 5x the price?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL951 View Post
    Why not just buy a Lifeproof Waterproof case($50-60) for the iPhone and use the built in Maps program?? It has bluetooth, it's waterproof, and has turn by turn voice directions.
    That's what I do and it works great

I use my phone, that my company pays for. It's a Motorola Droid Razr M . I have a mount that is made specifically for it. The phone is secure in it and it keeps it charged. Also, when I put the phone in the mount, it changes the screen to "vehicle" mode offering large icons for navigation and phone use. These can be customized. The phone is water resistant, not water proof, but behind the fairing it has to be really down pouring to get wet. The upside to using the phone GPS is that it can update for traffic conditions and road changes. The down side is that it does not store maps so you must have a signal when you first set up a trip. Once the map is in place, there is no issues really. Is it quite as nice as a stand alone GPS, probably not as seamless, but it functions and I can answer my phone if need be through the bluetoothe and Scala G9 on my helmet. The biggest plus is I don't pay for it.

I'm not overly fond of GPS on a motorcycle. A big reason why I ride is for solitude. That's why I'm not a big fan of sound systems either. However, on those times when I'll want one or the other, the phone hooked to the USB in the saddlebag works fine. Haven't really had a chance to put it in actual use yet, but I have tested it a couple times and it works great. Biggest thing to consider is whether you want a GPS that finally gives up on you completely if you go your own way or one that insists on redirecting you to your stated destination until you shut it off. Oh, I should say I use in ear monitors as ear plugs even with the sound off, so I'm not relying on directions coming through the speakers.
    Ride to work, work to ride
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have never seen a real need for a GPS on a bike..The old fashioned map works for me and gives also gives old guys like me a chance to stop and get off the bike for a minute...Although I marvel at modern technology, GPS's on a bike makes no sense to me.....JMHO

I was slow to embrace GPS for cars, but when my work bought them for all of us I finally tried it and now use it all the time. For bikes, I still use maps and hand written directions. Haven't got lost yet. I would probably bring along a cheap $100 GPS if I was doing a cross country trip just to have it as a backup.

I am of the same mind as Opus. When I have travelled, as I cross state lines or as needed, I just stop at the info centers,get a map,plot my course while I rest and have a snack,remember the route and travel on.
    When I am looking for a place specific I ask my phone to get the location. Being old school the map works best for me personally.
    My buddies have the GPS units with satellite radio which is nice,but the fidelity on my F6B as good as it is,deteriorates at speed on the road, and again my personal choice is the sound of my pipes and the wind.
    To each his own but I dont want a lot of 'stuff' hanging off the bars or destroying the sexy lines of my scooter. So far right now I can do without GPS. That money is going towards lights,belly pan and maybe a new seat....
    I reserve the right to change my mind

gps

I am too famous for my short cuts to let a GPS get me there sooner or easier

shooter
    Hey Bobo for what its worth. I had one Garmin killed by vibration. Two years ago I bought a Garmin 560LMT DEZL. It is heavy duty and has done good for me for two years. A plus is it has a powered cradle. I bought three extra cradles at $19.95 each and have a cradle on both bikes , car and truck. Whatever vehicle I get in or on I just grab the DEZL and pop it in the cradle.

No Lifeproof Case for iPhone 6

Quote Originally Posted by er.medic View Post
    That's what I do and it works great
    I like the idea but Lifeproof has not released a case for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus yet.

I like the concept but the RAM version looks to have a stouter mount.

Of course the RAM iPhone 6 Plus specific holder has not been released either.

I think I better wait to see what gets released before splashing 800 bucks on a GPS.

TomTom Rider Motorcycle GPS:

After using Garmin on my motorcycle for years I went to the TomTom Rider motorcycle GPS which I also use in my truck. Construction is rugged, best screen in sunlight of any GPS I have used, price is much less than the Garmin and lifetime map updates. I really like the TomTom Rider, have used it on three long trips now. Between my Android phone and the TomTom GPS I have no need to carry any paper maps or atlas with me.

If you are a current Garmin user (as I was) switching to the TomTom requires some patience, the two function differently. My point here is you have to read the Manual and learn the TomTom. I did and I won't be going back to Garmin.