Do I really need a "motorcycle" GPS for 5x the price? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do I really need a "motorcycle" GPS for 5x the price?

I was slow to embrace GPS for cars, but when my work bought them for all of us I finally tried it and now use it all the time. For bikes, I still use maps and hand written directions. Haven't got lost yet. I would probably bring along a cheap $100 GPS if I was doing a cross country trip just to have it as a backup.

I use a Garmin Nuvi 2557 in the car and on the bike. The display is nice and big, but I do have an issue with brightness and glare. I mount the GPS on a ball mount on the clutch lever base. The viewing angle is critical. If it is just right, I get no reflection or glare. If the angle is off a little bit vertically, I can hardly see the display. Would I spend $600+ on a Zumo? Only if I had an abundance of play money and only if I was guaranteed no glare. And I rarely even use my GPS on my bike, also only as a safety backup. I like to peruse paper or Google maps first.

I am of the same mind as Opus. When I have travelled, as I cross state lines or as needed, I just stop at the info centers,get a map,plot my course while I rest and have a snack,remember the route and travel on.
    When I am looking for a place specific I ask my phone to get the location. Being old school the map works best for me personally.
    My buddies have the GPS units with satellite radio which is nice,but the fidelity on my F6B as good as it is,deteriorates at speed on the road, and again my personal choice is the sound of my pipes and the wind.
    To each his own but I dont want a lot of 'stuff' hanging off the bars or destroying the sexy lines of my scooter. So far right now I can do without GPS. That money is going towards lights,belly pan and maybe a new seat....
    I reserve the right to change my mind

gps

I am too famous for my short cuts to let a GPS get me there sooner or easier

shooter
    Hey Bobo for what its worth. I had one Garmin killed by vibration. Two years ago I bought a Garmin 560LMT DEZL. It is heavy duty and has done good for me for two years. A plus is it has a powered cradle. I bought three extra cradles at $19.95 each and have a cradle on both bikes , car and truck. Whatever vehicle I get in or on I just grab the DEZL and pop it in the cradle.

Quote Originally Posted by Miwhite View Post
    I tried using a Tomtom Gps on my bike. I could not view it easily in sunlight. My Zumo 450 is visible in sunlight, even while wearing dark sun-glasses.
    This has been the #1 difference between my Zumo and my phone and car GPS. Much more visible in sunlight. And it's nice not having to worry about rain.

Interesting question!

Do you really need a six cylinder 1832cc engine when a 125cc would do?
    Do you need a fairing? Fog lights? A custom seat? Different windshield?

The point being, none of us NEED any of these, to include even owning a F6B. If you can afford to spend a little more to do it better, faster, safer or more conveniently and can afford it, then why not buy the best. So, if the feel like you would benefit from a brighter screen, xm radio, bluetooth connectivity to make and receive telephone calls via your GPS, as well as waterproof/ vibration protection, then spend more for it. If you don't need those things, go cheap or go without. As others said, a map will get us where we need to go. That's the fun of accessorizing... you don't have to have and do everything like the rest.

I suspect that motorcycle accessory companies love F6B owners when it comes to options for the scoot.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by db24 View Post
    Interesting question!

Do you really need a six cylinder 1832cc engine when a 125cc would do?
    Do you need a fairing? Fog lights? A custom seat? Different windshield?

The point being, none of us NEED any of these, to include even owning a F6B. If you can afford to spend a little more to do it better, faster, safer or more conveniently and can afford it, then why not buy the best. So, if the feel like you would benefit from a brighter screen, xm radio, bluetooth connectivity to make and receive telephone calls via your GPS, as well as waterproof/ vibration protection, then spend more for it. If you don't need those things, go cheap or go without. As others said, a map will get us where we need to go. That's the fun of accessorizing... you don't have to have and do everything like the rest.

I suspect that motorcycle accessory companies love F6B owners when it comes to options for the scoot.
    I agree with the premise, other than an F6B not being a necessity , but my question concerns the bang for the buck.
    I would be happy to pay double for the aforementioned extras that a 'motorcycle' GPS has but my heartburn is the 5x factor.
    I have purchased two additional windshields, fog lights, heated grips and a day-long seat in my first month of ownership so I am willing to spend if there is value.

Thank you to all for your insightful responses!

Reading this thread has piqued my interest in a M/C dedicated GPS, so I had a look at the Zumos including the 390, 590 etc. I found the graphics really disappointing, they reminded me of something from Game Machines in the 80's. I was expecting 'Pub Pong' to be an option for those rain delays. I'll stick with a map and my memory....while it holds out.
    I'd really expect something a bit more cutting edge considering the price they charge.

Yes U do