Do I really need a "motorcycle" GPS for 5x the price? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do I really need a "motorcycle" GPS for 5x the price?

Quote Originally Posted by Spewey Griffin View Post
    Reading this thread has piqued my interest in a M/C dedicated GPS, so I had a look at the Zumos including the 390, 590 etc. I found the graphics really disappointing, they reminded me of something from Game Machines in the 80's. I was expecting 'Pub Pong' to be an option for those rain delays. I'll stick with a map and my memory....while it holds out.
    I'd really expect something a bit more cutting edge considering the price they charge.
    My phone actually uses Google earth pictures to make the maps, so you see buildings too in the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    My phone actually uses Google earth pictures to make the maps, so you see buildings too in the map.
    Thanks Jimmytee. I'll also look to alternative options. I'm not that keen on sticking anything on the bars anyway and spoiling the lines. I'll probably stick to a phone or IPAD if I get stuck.

No Lifeproof Case for iPhone 6

Quote Originally Posted by er.medic View Post
    That's what I do and it works great
    I like the idea but Lifeproof has not released a case for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus yet.

I like the concept but the RAM version looks to have a stouter mount.

Of course the RAM iPhone 6 Plus specific holder has not been released either.

I think I better wait to see what gets released before splashing 800 bucks on a GPS.

TomTom Rider Motorcycle GPS:

After using Garmin on my motorcycle for years I went to the TomTom Rider motorcycle GPS which I also use in my truck. Construction is rugged, best screen in sunlight of any GPS I have used, price is much less than the Garmin and lifetime map updates. I really like the TomTom Rider, have used it on three long trips now. Between my Android phone and the TomTom GPS I have no need to carry any paper maps or atlas with me.

If you are a current Garmin user (as I was) switching to the TomTom requires some patience, the two function differently. My point here is you have to read the Manual and learn the TomTom. I did and I won't be going back to Garmin.

RAM Aqua box with Nuvi

I bought a used Garmin Nuvi with lifetime updates and placed it in a RAM Aqua Box. The Aqua Box worked well protecting the GPS from moisture and vibration. One drawback of the Box was that the plastic window would sometimes reflect the sun and prevent viewing of the GPS.

I've used a car GPS for years in a case like this, It has foam inside it that im sure takes out some vibration. Its been thru many heavy rains and car washes and has never let any water in. I did take off the little handlebar strappy thing and screw a ram mount ball onto the back. : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-M...item3a9120eb34
    2013 Honda F6B #374 (darksided)
    2004 Honda NRX1800 RUNE #274
    2008 Can Am Spyder #21 (basically factory darksided. )
    1989 Kawasaki KZ1000 Police
    1992 Yamaha FJ1200

I also use my iPhone & a life proof case. I also plug my iPad into the usb cable in the trunk so I can hear the directions over the tunes as well as see the directions on my iPhone. Saved me from buying a gps for the long trips.

Quote Originally Posted by DJL951 View Post
    Why not just buy a Lifeproof Waterproof case($50-60) for the iPhone and use the built in Maps program?? It has bluetooth, it's waterproof, and has turn by turn voice directions.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzzPhotos View Post
    I also use my iPhone & a life proof case. I also plug my iPad into the usb cable in the trunk so I can hear the directions over the tunes as well as see the directions on my iPhone. Saved me from buying a gps for the long trips.
    FYI.... I pulled out of Franklin, NC... told my iPhone to go home....told my Garmin 550 to go home... Garmin was one hour SHORTER.....you guessed it...got home one hour early!!!!
    Not sure why the difference.....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

The problem with using a smartphone for GPS for those of use who live and ride west of the 98th meridian is that there are significant expanses of the Great American Desert and the Intermountain West that do not have cell/data service. Most mapping apps require data service in order to refresh the map as location changes. Without that data connection...nada. I have found an iPhone app that stores the entire North American continent on the phone itself (GPS Copilot) and it's useful in a pinch but it's pretty clunky. Also, one can't manipulate the map controls on a smartphone without taking off gloves (unless you've got those really cool new gloves that channel your GSR through the glove to the screen).

My personal choice is to continue using paper maps. But, on the trip from Durango, CO to Logan, UT I could have used a GPS because it was really difficult to calculate a reasonably accurate ETA given all the backroads we took.

So, if you live and ride places that have reliable cell/data coverage, smartphone may be all you need. If you don't have reliable cell/data coverage, paper or GPS are the way to go. If I was going GPS, I'd probably consider the Zumo worth the price.

I too use a Garmin..............

On a Ram mount. on a ball mount on the clutch reservoir, it's a Garmin Nuvi, larger screen, Bluetooth it off my iPhone 6 and I can get real-time weather, from Best Buy with Black-tie warranty so I'm good to go, free lifetime updates, starts to rain I bag it, traffic conditions too!