Tip - Relax your Baggershield hardware.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tip - Relax your Baggershield hardware.

Tip - Relax your Baggershield hardware.

Hey, folks... I've had a Baggershield 11/19 on my ride for a few months now... used it through the summer months and have generally enjoyed it.
    I've been carrying the top shield stowed behind the lower using the quick release hardware with the compressible rubber well-nut. I prefer to use only the lower shield when I'm riding solo, and sometimes use the top shield when my girl is with me.

Last weekend I went to take the top shield out from behind the lower, and wouldn't you know, the rubber well-nuts have been compressed and in-place for so long a couple of them didn't want to relax and push back through the holes in the shields. It made it a little difficult to get the two pieces apart for a while. If I had let them remain like that for too much longer, I think I might have had to cut them off and replace with new.

So... the reason for posting this is to remind anyone who is using the Baggershield 11/19... those compression nuts that secure the two shields together should be released and allowed to relax and decompress often.

My best advice is not to ride with the top shield - stowed or in place - unless it's for a particular trip. Certainly don't keep the two shields bolted together for months at a time as I did.

I've decided I'll be leaving my top shield at home, with the hardware loosened, unless I know I'll have a passenger. And to pretty-up the three holes in the lower shield, I found some black nylon hole plugs at Lowe's, in the hardware section.

Ride safe!
    "1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"

Have you tried spraying your nuts with silicone? Keeps them soft and pliable.
    As for your well-nuts, silicone could help them too.

Good tip.

TMI............
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    Have you tried spraying your nuts with silicone? Keeps them soft and pliable.
    As for your well-nuts, silicone could help them too.

PLEASE ….. NO PICTURES

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Thanks. Now when I store my bike for the winter I'll be taking the shield off. Like you I only used the lower shield when riding this summer and added the top when it got cooler.
    Thanks for not posting the nut pictures.

Sprayed my nuts...

Attachment 9422

It didn't help.
    And she says it makes 'em taste nasty!
    "1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixol Phaane View Post
    Attachment 9422

It didn't help.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixol Phaane View Post
    Attachment 9422

It didn't help.
    You're supposed to spray them with silicone, not penetrating oil.
    Sheesh!

Had the same issue with the mounting hardware/wellnuts . Learned to not keep them so tight and they work fine unless it gets really cold , then its a battle to remove them .