Windshield, Helmets, Wind, and the radio

Thread: Windshield, Helmets, Wind, and the radio

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Windshield, Helmets, Wind, and the radio

When I bought my bike I rode the first 500 miles with the shorty windshield, half helmet, and my bifocal safety glasses. Two issues I had were wind coming up under my glasses drying out my eyes and having to turn the radio up pretty high. With these issues I purchased the taller Honda windshield.

I would like to go back to the shorty and can live with the radio but not the burning eyes.

I don't want goggles because I need my bifocals. I don't want to purchase goggles with bifocals either. I am hoping I can figure out someway to divert the wind another direction.

How about the Baker Airwings that mount under the mirrors?

OR, is the some kind of trim I can put along the top edge of the shorty windshield?

Last, I would prefer a 3/4 helmet but not a full face or modular.

Thanks
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

The short Clearview recurve works for me. There are options like the Laminar Lip and Wunderlich that could be used with the OEM screen, but I haven't heard of any reports back with any of those products. Besides, they change the look of the stock shorty that you and I would both prefer. Cee Bailey makes a 9" shield, but I haven't heard much about it here.
    Ride to work, work to ride
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I really like the Baggershield. Looks good and does an effective job. Plus it has the clear portion you can put up for a really protected ride.
    Attachment 9428

Quote Originally Posted by zeus661 View Post
    I can comment on the helmet. I use a Shoei J-Cruise 3/4 helmet. Pricey, but great wind and nose isolation. It also has a drop down sun screen behind the large face shield.

You can also look at the new Scorpion EXO220 3/4 helmet.
    I will be buying one of those for my wife, as soon as I can find one in her size to try on.

Forgot to say I'm riding the Bell 500 Custom (Newest version) when riding 3/4.
    Ride to work, work to ride
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I use the scorpion 3/4 and a bell 500 with glasses. No way i could do freeway speeds without a better windshield. But i would not "old man" my F6B with a tall screen and i wanted to see way over windshield, so i bought a madstad. Works great. I could only use stock screen with fullface.
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

I highly recommend getting hand wings. I have the Baker ones but there are others.

If you don't want a FF helmet you'll need a 3/4 with a long face shield in order to block the wind from shooting up and drying out your eyes. The stock shorty windscreen is simply too short to get the wind flowing over your head no matter what you add to it. Best short windshield I've tried is the Klockwerks Flare. Looks better than the stock shorty as far as I'm concerned and actually works well.

Quote Originally Posted by zeus661 View Post
    When I bought my bike I rode the first 500 miles with the shorty windshield, half helmet, and my bifocal safety glasses. Two issues I had were wind coming up under my glasses drying out my eyes and having to turn the radio up pretty high. With these issues I purchased the taller Honda windshield.

I would like to go back to the shorty and can live with the radio but not the burning eyes.

I don't want goggles because I need my bifocals. I don't want to purchase goggles with bifocals either. I am hoping I can figure out someway to divert the wind another direction.

How about the Baker Airwings that mount under the mirrors?

OR, is the some kind of trim I can put along the top edge of the shorty windshield?

Thanks
    The answer is your gonna have to ditch the safety glasses and get dedicated riding glasses with the foam surrounds. To me I don't like the looks of goggles over glasses. That's what I'm wearing. 3/4 helmet to cut down on wind noise. Do you have to have prescription glasses to see?