SpeedoHealer install? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: SpeedoHealer install?

Guhl is indeed reflashing the ECM. 2006+ ECM's can be flashed, pre-2006 cannot be.

First off, I'm a bit of a gearhead too, but with nowhere near the commitment or extra $ to commit as you have. I am a bit envious.

No, I don't have the Healtech OBD tool for the Honda, nor do I want or need one. I'm perfectly content with my engine, save for the cold start stumble. I can live with that. It sounds like the Guhl reflashing of your stock ECM is the way to go. I would want to first know exactly how the maps that they will reflash are different than Honda's stock maps, will the engine still operate in open and closed loop, how are any sensors affected, will the cat overheat from a richer open loop map, etc etc etc.

Keep us informed, as I'm sure others are also very interested in your findings.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
    Sorry. I didn't mean to start an argument. I live in the suburbs of NYC. And the speed limit pretty much everywhere around here is 30 mph, I do 40 and you still have people riding up your butt and on the nys thruway the limit is 65 and its like a racetrack. Again , I'm sorry.
    I can't even fathom owning a 'B in NYC with that traffic and congestion. I detest taking my 'B downtown in my city of 750 000. I live 30 seconds from a major route that takes me out of the city and into the prairie or along the large river that flows north into Lake Winnipeg. The scenery along that river road drive is beautiful, traffic is very light, and I can wind out my 'B whenever I want. Today I did my 75 km route out of the city up and down both sides of the river. I saw maybe a dozen cars and another dozen bikes in that 1 hour ride. I saw 150 kph briefly on a large bridge that crosses the river, with no one around. And yes, I did check for any other vehicles around (police with their speed lasers) before opening her up for 30 s.

I got my Healtech digital gear indicator today, but the SpeedoHealer is still on order and hasn't been shipped yet by my online retailer. I hope to get the SoCalMotor LED bulb kit and flasher and gear indicator installed this weekend. We'll see how that goes. Big birthday party at our house Sunday (grandson turns 2), so bathrooms need cleaning, floors need vacuuming, you know the rest.

I'd love to see how you end up mounting your gear indicator. You may have seen these already, but here's a few pics I found on the web. Not sure who's bikes these are...

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    First off, I'm a bit of a gearhead too, but with nowhere near the commitment or extra $ to commit as you have. I am a bit envious.

No, I don't have the Healtech OBD tool for the Honda, nor do I want or need one. I'm perfectly content with my engine, save for the cold start stumble. I can live with that. It sounds like the Guhl reflashing of your stock ECM is the way to go. I would want to first know exactly how the maps that they will reflash are different than Honda's stock maps, will the engine still operate in open and closed loop, how are any sensors affected, will the cat overheat from a richer open loop map, etc etc etc.

Keep us informed, as I'm sure others are also very interested in your findings.
    Haha, you're very kind, thank you. I agree too about wanting to know the details. I'll certainly post info if/when I make some progress here.

I'm going with the bottom pic; in the left speaker grill as close to the tach as possible.

I can't wait to hear your impressions after you get it installed.

I'm reading that this needs to have the clutch released before it indicates a gear...

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    I can't wait to hear your impressions after you get it installed.

I'm reading that this needs to have the clutch released before it indicates a gear...
    Yes, if the clutch is in or the trans in neutral, a blank line is displayed.
    As soon as the clutch is released enough to close the microswitch that kicks up the curb idle very slightly, then the gear indicator displays the correct gear. Apparently it happens quickly with hardly any delay.
    I don't have time to do it today, not likely tomorrow either.
    Our weather is deteriorating quickly, with cool weather next week:

http://weather.gc.ca/forecast/city_e.html?mb-38&unit=i

As soon as it's done, I'll post pics and a description.

Air Soft makes a combo shift indicator/voltmeter that goes in the blank space on the right side of the fairing. I like the looks of it, but the price was over $200, so I'll have to wait on it. Putting the gear shift in the speaker grill is a great idea probably a less expensive proposition too.
    ss^,
    Ken