Glad to be here

Thread: Glad to be here

Glad to be here

New "Old Guy" here. Just sold my bike a few days ago and I got a plan for the F6B.

I have been riding since 1976. Started with a NEW Honda XL125. Have also had a 350s-- 2 and 4 cylinder (wish I kept that 350-4) I have owned 550, 750; VTX 1800, 99 Valkyrie Interstate and every Harley except the VRod. I just finished 2 rounds with Victory --Kingpin and Cross Roads--and decided at 59 it is time to get away from the V Twin. I have been looking at the FJR from Yamaha too, but I don't see the wife giving it compliments after spending time on the back of a Road King, Ultra Classic and Cross Roads. She loved the Valk Interstate, but it was the most top heavy bike I have ever owned. I was never comfortable with her on the back.

I have had the HOTTS for an F6B ever since they came out--- but I now have a plan since I have a few-- not enough now-- but a few bucks sitting in the bank waiting to see what the near future has in store. I WILL have a F6B, but it looks like it will be February or late January. My job situation is shaky and I may be unemployed-- I may be moving to Fla--or neither may happen! One thing is sure to happen. I will be 59 1\2 years old and I will have better access to the remainder of the F6B costs thru my 401K, so--- if I remain healthy and the US economy does not collapse before that, I will be on one soon. If I still have my same job, I just may let the bank help me along. Either way, I need a few months to work things out. It is sooooo hard to sit back and pretend to wait patiently.

I have enjoyed the sense of humor here and I have learned a ton in just a few days. I am big on aftermarket and tweaking.

Anyway-- thanks for the free education. I will be bringing this thread back to like in January when I get serious about pulling the trigger. There are deals to be had. I have driven to NJ twice, Georgia once and all over the vast NC landscape to get the right deal. Hendersonville and Rockingham NC have great deals as does the guy in Bentonville AK, but you guys seem to know where ALL the great deals are.

Now that I have taken a few minutes of your time that you will never get back, I just wanted to say I am glad to be here!

All Good Old Ryder....there are a few of us here of your vintage, and a few others that have had even more opportunity to age, mature and develop interesting bouquets....OK, enough of the wine analogy BS.

I did the same thing about a year back.....jumped on here with the intent of buying an F6B....picked it up in June and ran it across the continent up here in the land of the Canucks.

Helpful site, good range of experience here from distance riders to tech savvy people to accessory guru's. All good.

And the bike is a spectacular piece of work. I too looked at the sport touring rigs like the FJR1300 but frame wise they were too small for my 240lbs. The F6B is a sport touring rig on steroids...lots off oomph, lots of brakes, weight down low....handles like something half its size...and relatively comfortable for the long haul....not a barkalounger but a reasonable compromise.

Hell....these threads always turn into sales pitches for mother Honda products.....but the bike is a lot of fun and can eat miles like a hungry teenager.

Hope you end up following though...you probably wont be disappointed.

geo

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    New "Old Guy" here. Just sold my bike a few days ago and I got a plan for the F6B.

I have been riding since 1976. Started with a NEW Honda XL125. Have also had a 350s-- 2 and 4 cylinder (wish I kept that 350-4) I have owned 550, 750; VTX 1800, 99 Valkyrie Interstate and every Harley except the VRod. I just finished 2 rounds with Victory --Kingpin and Cross Roads--and decided at 59 it is time to get away from the V Twin. I have been looking at the FJR from Yamaha too, but I don't see the wife giving it compliments after spending time on the back of a Road King, Ultra Classic and Cross Roads. She loved the Valk Interstate, but it was the most top heavy bike I have ever owned. I was never comfortable with her on the back.

I have had the HOTTS for an F6B ever since they came out--- but I now have a plan since I have a few-- not enough now-- but a few bucks sitting in the bank waiting to see what the near future has in store. I WILL have a F6B, but it looks like it will be February or late January. My job situation is shaky and I may be unemployed-- I may be moving to Fla--or neither may happen! One thing is sure to happen. I will be 59 1\2 years old and I will have better access to the remainder of the F6B costs thru my 401K, so--- if I remain healthy and the US economy does not collapse before that, I will be on one soon. If I still have my same job, I just may let the bank help me along. Either way, I need a few months to work things out. It is sooooo hard to sit back and pretend to wait patiently.

I have enjoyed the sense of humor here and I have learned a ton in just a few days. I am big on aftermarket and tweaking.

Anyway-- thanks for the free education. I will be bringing this thread back to like in January when I get serious about pulling the trigger. There are deals to be had. I have driven to NJ twice, Georgia once and all over the vast NC landscape to get the right deal. Hendersonville and Rockingham NC have great deals as does the guy in Bentonville AK, but you guys seem to know where ALL the great deals are.

Now that I have taken a few minutes of your time that you will never get back, I just wanted to say I am glad to be here!
    Hope things work out as you will love the F6B..I will be 75 in January and can relate to getting older..Many of the bikes you have had over the years remind me of some of the same ones I had..Loved my 350/4 Honda and the 400/4 ,great little bikes... As I have said before on other posts don't worry about where you buy the bike, if your happy with the deal and dealer then that is all that really counts..No matter when, or where you buy, someone always claims they got a better deal!! Buy when you are able and enjoy a great bike!!..PS don't worry about the economy tanking, when the GOP dumps some of the current "dummies" in the Senate next week..Hopefully some good things will be done....

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post

I have had the HOTTS for an F6B ever since they came out--- I WILL have a F6B, but it looks like it will be February or late January.
    I just came back from my last ride of the season, a 75 km run on a sunny 10C day. Since the weather here is normally below freezing, I relented and winterized her (oil and filter change, final drive oil change, top up gas tank with stabilized premium with no ethanol, and removed the battery). As I was riding back to the city, I was sad thinking that I wouldn't be driving this work of engineering and art for another 5 months. That is depressing. This is the first bike that I have owned that I have been really depressed having to put away for the winter.

NC Winter ride.

Go ahead and get it. It is warmer in Snow Hill than Advance and we pick our days and ride all winter. I think I would move if I had to put my F6B up for the Winter. See you on the road. I will be making some runs to Oak Island this Winter. See Ya.
    Deer Slayer
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it.

I would be tempted to buy now with the great low prices if you wait the deals might be gone. I don't think they can go any lower.

Welcome aboard Old Ryder.