TPMS... nothing but crap

Thread: TPMS... nothing but crap

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by radi0chik View Post
    I would LOVE to see something such as the Big Bike Parts 13-318 but have it be able to read the current internal TPMS that the Goldwings have. Right now, all it has is an idiot light that says it's low. It doesn't say whether its 1 or 20psi low. That would be nice to integrate into the F6 as well. Right now that's what I have on mine, and have no issues with it. I need to learn/figure out what language and how the sensors/receivers talk back and forth. It CAN'T be rocket science!
    I guess you skipped post #26 above with this link

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?4...highlight=tpms

I have a home made prototype TPMS system with a fully functioning RF link between sensor and receiver module... and you're right, it's not rocket science. TPMS RF links operate in a specified frequency band defined by the FCC in the USA and their counterpart regulatory body internationally; the de facto standard frequencies are either 325 or 433 MHz. Most TPMS systems communicate using a frequency modulation technique called FSK, frequency shift keying. Basically, a baseband is chosen, either 325 or 433 MHz, and *slight* frequency deviations are used to transmit data that will be decoded as a digital "one" or a digital "zero" by the receiver. Once the receiver decodes the transmitted data and captures the stream of 1's and 0's, it can then digitally process the information and send it to an LCD screen, for instance, to display temperature and pressure data. That's all there is to it.

As for the Goldwing sensors, reverse engineering a receiver to work with them can be done, but it's a SIGNIFICANT task with no guarantee of success. I evaluated this option and concluded that it would be better overall to make my own sensors. This way, you have control of the software on both ends of the link which allows debugging and designing without relying on what little technical support Honda may provide (due to liability reasons they probably wouldn't provide any support).

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    I guess you skipped post #26 above with this link

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?4...highlight=tpms
    I did see the thread, and saw you were working on one. The reason I wanted it interfacing to the original honda sensors is the goldwings that DO have the system, have a light on the dash that will never go off (short of redoing a bunch of wires) if their default sensors aren't installed. So if you remove the default sensors, you're screwed.

Making your own sensors and receiver works too, just doesn't interface with the stock setup.

I chose the FOBO because it will do what I need for a reasonable price and it warns me before I ride (and in the living room).
    At home I can still put air in the tire while the tires are cold and get accurate readings. Once on the road it will warn me if the pressure drops a lot. I guess you can get a feel for how the pressure changes with the temperature. It reads both pressure and temp (but does not compensate for the temp)

I want this to be successful because I can get it for the cars and the bikes and then I can check my daughters and wife's car from the house.

The jury is still out with most people on the forum from what I have read. So for my $100.00 I no longer have to crawl under the bike to check the tire pressure. I am no expert but this gives accurate enough pressure readings and will warn me before I ride when I am still at home next to my air compressor. (Not bad for $100.00)

Steve

Good deal Steven; I like those usability features.

Accuracy and precision are pretty much a given and problems should be rare. There's only a handful of manufacturers who make automotive pressure sensors and all have pretty much the same accuracy spec. The differences, and the problems if any, will come from how well each vendor designs the supporting circuitry and software.

As for compensating for temperature, that's not a big deal. You check and set pressure when the tire is cold, and it matters little if the pressure rises a few psi with temperature. Further, the compensation routine is handled by the IC in the pressure sensor... and it requires extra power from the battery to run. The vendor is actually maximizing battery life by minimizing the amount of work the IC needs to do. I'd gladly accept this "limitation" if it buys only a few extra months of operation over the span of several years.

FOBO TPMS

One thing I forgot to mention is the batteries can easily be changed. The tire sensor is on the valve stem. I bought the t shaped valve stem replacements so I can leave the pressure sensor on and add air as needed. I will add the new valve stems when I change the tires. For now I have to remove the sensor to add air. I use a pressure gauge when I add air (I guess this is my quality control to make sure the sensors are reporting accurate).
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevenolts View Post
    FOBO TPMS

One thing I forgot to mention is the batteries can easily be changed. The tire sensor is on the valve stem. I bought the t shaped valve stem replacements so I can leave the pressure sensor on and add air as needed. I will add the new valve stems when I change the tires. For now I have to remove the sensor to add air. I use a pressure gauge when I add air (I guess this is my quality control to make sure the sensors are reporting accurate).
    Steve

wishing i had waited one more day. Oh well.

Sorry Press; I shoulda mentioned that none of the Bluetooth linked devices have been captured.

Maybe Regitar will take it back...