Ultimate Seat..... - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Seat.....

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    I'm right there with ya, Jesse!
    Finding time to smell the roses or go someplace semi-close that I haven't been before is my challenge,,,

Breaking away for a week is easier for some than others.

Wife and I spent a week in the Ozarks about a month ago,,, Work makes it all seem like a distant memory,,,

YUP

Quote Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
    I like being comfortable on the bike so will look into a Day Long over my long time fav Ultimate. But anything over 500 mile days for me defeats the purpose of riding a bike, which is to ENJOY the ride and freedom to just cruise along and enjoy the scenery. Doing marathon rides from point A to point B at 80-90 MPH on the freeway is not my idea of fun, you get to see nothing except your start and end points. I took 21 days to get across Canada, camping out and taking any road that looked like it might be interesting, meeting nice people and getting suggestions on what NOT to miss. I did the same on a back and forth trip coast to coast, staying OFF the damn freeways as much as possible, and averaging 200-300 miles a day for 5 weeks...... now that is the way to enjoy riding. Piling on the miles just for the sake of making your odometer spin is a real shame, as you miss so much as you zoom past. Take time to smell the roses.
    +1
    I agree Jesse!
    I have ridden over 1000 miles a day on a few occasions.........SO WHAT! Who the heck cares! It is no big feat!
    200 to 400 a day is the way to go. Stop all over the place, see all attractions, meet the locals, PARTY with the locals. You find all the best places if you spend some time with the locals. Best restaurants, best places to stay, best attractions, best party spots, best bands in town, best dance places and on and on. I also travel mostly with NO PLAN! maybe the first night I might know where I am going to stay and have a reservation but the rest of the trip, I just wing it, because I never know where I will be. I have found the best spots doing exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
    I like being comfortable on the bike so will look into a Day Long over my long time fav Ultimate. But anything over 500 mile days for me defeats the purpose of riding a bike, which is to ENJOY the ride and freedom to just cruise along and enjoy the scenery. Doing marathon rides from point A to point B at 80-90 MPH on the freeway is not my idea of fun, you get to see nothing except your start and end points. I took 21 days to get across Canada, camping out and taking any road that looked like it might be interesting, meeting nice people and getting suggestions on what NOT to miss. I did the same on a back and forth trip coast to coast, staying OFF the damn freeways as much as possible, and averaging 200-300 miles a day for 5 weeks...... now that is the way to enjoy riding. Piling on the miles just for the sake of making your odometer spin is a real shame, as you miss so much as you zoom past. Take time to smell the roses.

I did my saddlesore 1,000 and that was enough for me. It's amazing to see what you have been missing on the roads you ride often when you slow down enough to look off at the scenery.

At the same time, (Sparky) congrats on your many miles of riding.
    KJ
    SOLD 2013 F6B Black Deluxe
    2014 Victory Cross Country Tour
    EZRIDE
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ride to Live Live to Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Westernbiker View Post
    +1
    I agree Jesse!
    I have ridden over 1000 miles a day on a few occasions.........SO WHAT! Who the heck cares! It is no big feat!
    200 to 400 a day is the way to go. Stop all over the place, see all attractions, meet the locals, PARTY with the locals. You find all the best places if you spend some time with the locals. Best restaurants, best places to stay, best attractions, best party spots, best bands in town, best dance places and on and on. I also travel mostly with NO PLAN! maybe the first night I might know where I am going to stay and have a reservation but the rest of the trip, I just wing it, because I never know where I will be. I have found the best spots doing exactly that.
    I guess some of us just like to ride more than we like to "meet the locals, PARTY with the locals" and find "Best restaurants, best places to stay, best attractions, best party spots, best bands in town, best dance places and on and on". When you ride a few more miles a day you also get to do some of those things, but I would rather be riding than stopping to party. When you ride a long day you still have time when you stop for the night to do what you want. I have had lots of long days that include going down a new, interesting road or the one less travelled, meeting interesting people, but even then you can rack up the miles. All you have to do is open your eyes. Do you look at the white line all day long? I like to find the best roads! Not the best party or dance spot. That's for when I go to the Caribbean with my wife. Any way you can travel as you want and I will continue to rack up the miles looking at the scenery, riding the best roads and smelling the roses when I stop for gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Westernbiker View Post
    +1
    I agree Jesse!
    I also agree, I've been riding for 25 years, and never understood, IB, SS or whatever you want to call them. 300-400 miles a day with my wife or buddies is more than enough for me. Anyone riding mega miles a day are no more riders to me than guys taking a date to dinner or DQ. I'm just not impressed. And your product endorsements are no more important than anyone else.
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

The Wife and I like to ~ride~ for entertainment/therapy, with short and / or semi-long stops along the way. Some of our best rides were lazy putts through rural 2 lanes, with a stop for a cold drink, gas, lunch, look at some of the bikes at the local haunt,, whatever,,, 200-300 a day. No hurry, no worry,,, More therapeutic than anything else. Rarely do we ever 'travel' on the bikes, at least not for more than a few hours / up to a ~day~ out.

Some may ride a bajillion miles, some may only get out once every 6 months. I find either of those 2 situations to be a bit 'different', and nothing I care to do myself, but, as long as I don't have to do either one of 'em, I'm good!

Quote Originally Posted by chipmaker View Post
    I also agree, I've been riding for 25 years, and never understood, IB, SS or whatever you want to call them. 300-400 miles a day with my wife or buddies is more than enough for me. Anyone riding mega miles a day are no more riders to me than guys taking a date to dinner or DQ. I'm just not impressed. And your product endorsements are no more important than anyone else.

Now, let's all agree to be polite here...okay ?

I can appreciate that many of you do not like to ride a lot of miles on any given day. That is your choice, and I am not going to be critical of you for riding 200 to 500 miles in a day. Ride the way you want to, and I will not demean you for doing so. On the same note...I would ask that you not demean me or others than want to do 1000+ miles a day. That is our choice. I do not think less of you because you "choose" to ride 300 miles a day, and stop and smell the roses...as you call it. So, out of respect, please do not think less of me because I do ride 1000+ miles a day, and do my own version of smelling the roses.

Now, that is saying it nicely...politely.

I could defend my ways and methods of riding with a lot more fervor, and I could be critical of the very few miles that some of you ride, but what would be the point ? We each ride our own bikes...individually...at our own pace. You do your thing...and I will do my thing.

But I will defend one point that was made in criticism...and that was the statement that, "And your product endorsements are no more important than anyone else". The word..."important" is a subjective word, that carries no specific value. Therefore I am forced to agree that your statement is not incorrect. However, to put a fine point on this...my product endorsements based on my motorcycle riding experiences carry more weight than a rider than has ridden 1/10th the mileage I have. Now, that is a statement that declares a value, because...if I have ridden more than 1,000,000 miles over the course of 43 years, and I endorse a product, it means more to the riding community than a rider that has ridden 100,000 miles, over the same 43 year time span.

If a person does not agree with my opinion on a product endorsement, they are free to choose whatever product they want to use. Example, I have very clearly stated that a Russell Day-Long saddle is NOT for everyone. I have stated that it is for people that like to ride longer distances, and for people that have bad backs, injured backs, etc. And yet, I almost always put in the disclaimer that every butt is different, and...if your seat works for you, and you are happy with it, then it is the best seat for you.

No one here is forcing anyone else to go out and buy a product. But common sense...and logic...would dictate that if Rider A rides 45,000 miles a year for 40+ years...and Rider B rides 1,000 miles a year for 40+ years, then Rider A would have more experience on the road, testing products, trying out different boots, tires, seats,. clothing, etc., and if Rider A wanted to help or assist others in the riding community, Rider A would share that wealth of information with others.

My personal opinions about products, or how many miles to ride each day may differ from what someone else may think, but there is no need or reason to criticize any one of us, because of what we do, use, or think.

BTW, for the record...I have ridden more than 150 Saddlesore 1000's (1000 miles in a day), and more than 75 Bunburner 1500's (1500 miles in 36 hours), and more than 50 BunBurner Gold (1500 miles in 24 hours) and more than 5 Pile Driver 2000's (2000 miles in 24 hours.) I do that because I want to, not because I am forced to. I "see" all that I want to...but I do it at a higher speed than most do. That doesn't mean I don't see the same things, or less...or more. I see what I want to see, and smell what I want to smell, and meet those that I want to met, and eat at places where I want to eat...and I do not begrudge others that do it their own way. I no longer send paperwork into the IBA to have certified for every ride that I do, as it is no longer needed by me, or for me. The IBA knows who I am, and how I ride. In January I rode down to Bolivia and Chile, and rode back home. 15,125 miles in 28 days..there and back. Rode the entire way. All I do is send a few pictures to the IBA, they review them, and they know where I have been.

I ride for myself...my way. Maybe the rest of you should do the same.

The Voice of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by chipmaker View Post
    I certainly do not ride to impress anyone. I ride because I like to ride. I wouldn't expect you to understand me, how could you. You own a car and a truck! I don't participate in IBA events but I respect those who do. The 1000 mile day is their lowest award and many can accomplish that but 48 states in 10 days, now that sounds like fun!

As far as product endorsements go, I would rather hear from someone who has put those products through their paces and knows how they perform. What good is someones opinion if all they have to offer is what the brochure says.

Not aimed at anyone in particular, but telling us what you've done/where you've been is fine, however, it gets quite nauseating hearing it over and over and over again.

"I think this,,,," is cool

I think this,,,, because I've ridden to Mars and back 849 times in 98 years",,, eh,, that's a whole different kind of 'message'.

Don't try to separate/elevate yourself above others, unintentionally or otherwise. That's not why we are here.

Angry Ultimate Seats?

I thought this thread is about Ultimate Seats, not who racks more miles in a saddle. So, let's stop it right now. It seems to me some people that read this thread used and like Ultimate Seat products and they became upset when other seat manufacturer is being mentiond here as being better/superior performing product than Ultimate for some, even with disclaimers. So, why don't we just keep this thread about Ultimate Seats and not any other seat? If one wants to mention another product, why not just start another thread?

I am going to stop at Ultimate Seat store at Destination Daytona this week and inquire about F6B seat. If it's on display I will try it and take pictures and post them here upon my return.

I still have a stock seat on mine and am still looking around for a new seat, but Air Hawk Cushion does a great job for me so far. The most riding I did on F6B so far in a day was over 700 miles in one day and was not sore at all so we'll see.

I do believe that high mileage riders have a great insight from wast experience about products they used, so I welcome the review/endorsement, but I'll make up my own mind anyway. Let's refrain about writing about a completely different product than the thread was intended for no matter how strong we feel about it being superior. In this case there already are several threads about RDL products so I don't see the need to include it here. If you're not into Ultimate Seats guess what, maybe this thread was not intended for you.

RDL may be in my future too but I never tried or or seen it, none of my friends have it, so I appreciate Miles reviews of it in other threads I read about it. It's not the best looking seat either but that's subjective. One of my closest friends has Ultimate Seat on his Rune and he swears by it, I tried it several times and liked it. I think Ultimate makes a high quality product. I also don't plan on doing 2000 miles in a day ever so RDL may be an overkill for me. But I'm still reading and trying to figure everything out so I appreciate all the comments so far.