Extended Service Plan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Extended Service Plan

Extended Service Plan

I bought my new 2013 almost a month ago and have put about 1700 miles on it. I love the bike. When I bought it, Fred Cummings Motorsports made me feel like I was getting a great deal and that the normal 4 year extended service plan (not a extended warranty as it specifically says) goes for $1000. They gave me a great deal on the extra coverage by selling it to me for $699.

Only after reading here on the forum, I realized I had been STUPID! Then to top it off, last weekend running around the So Cal desert and running into some other "Wingers", and hearing about how solid the bike was (you guys tried to tell me), I called the "Service Plan" folks and requested my total refund. I had 90 days to cancel the plan.

I am convinced I will not need the extension. What a great machine and if we'll cared for, I think it will last longer than I will. (And I am just 61).

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Unless things have changed recently ......

As long as the Extended Service Plan was never activated, Honda used to refund all of it except a $25 processing/cancelation fee.

Example..... if you decided to sell your Goldwing before the ORIGINAL 3 year warranty expired, you could call Honda and cancel the extension and receive a refund minus the $25.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

It was not a Honda service plan. I can't recall the name of the insurer but they are based out of Menlo Park, CA. Don't get me wrong, I think the insurer is a good provider and the plan was good, but apparently there is a lot of profit margin in what a dealer can sell the policy for. Also there was a 90 day period in which I could cancel and receive a full refund. Since the plan was included in my Honda financing, the refund comes off the top of the loan. A full $699 towards the principal of the loan. That was fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastergunny View Post
    It was not a Honda service plan. I can't recall the name of the insurer but they are based out of Menlo Park, CA. Don't get me wrong, I think the insurer is a good provider and the plan was good, but apparently there is a lot of profit margin in what a dealer can sell the policy for. Also there was a 90 day period in which I could cancel and receive a full refund. Since the plan was included in my Honda financing, the refund comes off the top of the loan. A full $699 towards the principal of the loan. That was fine with me.
    Why would you go with a non Honda service plan when the Honda plan is less money.

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    Why would you go with a non Honda service plan when the Honda plan is less money.
    I agree and the Honda Care Warranty will be honored at any Honda Dealer. I don't trust 3rd party warranties.

Carl
    2013 Black Smoke Chrome LE Honda Goldwing F6B 04/26/2014
    2007 Blue/White Suzuki M109R LE 05/02/2007
    2003 Candy Red Honda VTX1800C 04/01/2005
    1999 Black/Red Honda Valkyrie Interstate 05/05/2012 (Sold 7/25/15)
    1973 Gold Honda CB750 Four 04/16/2010

I was stupid. The dealer offered an extended service plan and I assumed it was Honda. It was not. If I buy any plan it will be a Honda plan now that you guys have made me smart!

Thaks Phantom! Copy all.

Extended Warranty Cost Question

Just wanted to ask you guys if the prices are all the same for the extended warranty, regardless where you buy it?

The reason I ask, is that for my Toyota P/u there was a $400 difference between the policy cost in CA and out of state, mind you the same terms, and policy from Toyota.

The dealership could set the price, and so this one out of state dealer was getting plenty customers daily, and made up in sales volume.

Coming back to the Honda policy, so far I have seen $800 for 4 yrs with out towing benefit, and the remark at the site "suggested" retail price.

That leaves to believe that there might be dealerships out there who will sharpen their pencils, and stray away from "suggested".

So that makes me curious, any members who can attest to this possibility?

Thanks

Max

Quote Originally Posted by maxrider View Post
    Just wanted to ask you guys if the prices are all the same for the extended warranty, regardless where you buy it?

The reason I ask, is that for my Toyota P/u there was a $400 difference between the policy cost in CA and out of state, mind you the same terms, and policy from Toyota.

The dealership could set the price, and so this one out of state dealer was getting plenty customers daily, and made up in sales volume.

Coming back to the Honda policy, so far I have seen $800 for 4 yrs with out towing benefit, and the remark at the site "suggested" retail price.

That leaves to believe that there might be dealerships out there who will sharpen their pencils, and stray away from "suggested".

So that makes me curious, any members who can attest to this possibility?

Thanks

Max
    I landed the 4-year Honda Warranty for $580 when I purchased my F6B about 6 weeks ago. Back in December I purchased the 4-year on my 2012 Wing for $580 thinking I was going to keep the bike. When I decided to trade the Wing on the F6B in March, I told the dealer what I paid in December and they matched it for the F6B. So, yes, there are dealers who will sharpen their pencils.

I believe you can still buy the warranty up until your 3 year warranty expires. I paid approx $600.00 for the warranty with road hazzard. So I get bumper to bumper and unlimited use road hazard for seven years. It only takes one problem to pay for the warranty. I found that in the past I would just let some stupid light or electronic part go unimpaired because it wasn't worth the price to fix. This way I can get everything fixed and feel the peace of mind knowing I am covered when traveling. Also you should buy the Honda warranty if you get on because it will be good at any Honda dealer.

It feels good not to have to worry!!! If I never use it I will be very lucky don't you think?

Steve