Post accident jitters.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post accident jitters.

Post accident jitters.

Back in mid September I went down on my F6b. I was in the Detroit area on a side street that made a curve to the right. There was a car size pothole going into the curve. I made the wrong decision and went between the pothole and the curb. Going into the curve the front wheel hit the curb and the bike went down. I was doing about 30-35 mph. The bike has been repaired and returned to me. Because of a knee injury requiring surgery I probably won't get back on it until May of next year. Feeling a little nervous and wondering how to get over it. I have ridden for almost 20 years and my previous bike was I Valkyrie I had for about 15 years. Any tips would be appreciated.

As for the bike, the left mirror came off and all damage was to the left side. Saddle bag lid, crash bars, front cowl, and a bunch of little parts where replaced. I actually could have ridden it home if not for my knee. $10,200 in damages.

As for my knee I had a tibial plateau fracture which took six weeks to mend before the surgeon could replace my ACL and fix the meniscus.

I was wearing a helmet and MC jacket and will now ALWAYS wear them.
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

Consider taking an MSF course or similar training to boost your confidence. You can also practice in a parking lot on your own until you feel comfortable enough to hit the streets again. Then get right back on that iron horse and enjoy yourself.

Sorry for your mishap. Accidents are never fun and even worse when a trip to surgery is envolved.

I got pushed off the road by a car driver running 80 about ten years ago. I went to the ditch and my Harley Road King went end over end several times finally coming to rest with the air cleaner burried against my right calf. No helmet, no jacket. I was lucky. Only ended up with a brused right leg and a lot of bike damage.

I was back on the motorcycle after the repairs but, like you felt a bit unsure for a few months especially in corners. No real advice except get back on the horse and ride. Your confidence returns pretty quickly and you will forget about this latest incident. I don't even think about it when riding anymore.

Good luck when you get back to riding.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Unfortunately I have also crashed motorcycles. I've learned to always wear full protective gear, including pants. Would have you gone down if it wasn't for the pothole? I would say gear up and ride. Take it slow and build your confidence.
    Frank Ferrante
    2013 F6B Black Deluxe
    2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado

In military aviation, we always do extensive debriefs to figure out what we did, what we didn't do, and how we could make it better.
    We also say "don't let the plane take you where your brain hasn't been for at least 5 minutes."

For a mishap, there are 2 separate investigations: a legal investigation to determine culpability and a separate safety investigation in which all information is privileged with the intent of never allowing this to happen again. Basically surrender the 5th Amendment so as to keep others safe.

You know what happened. You know what you did. You have the privilege of knowing and (sort of) walking away.
    Other than the Michigan Highway Department (or the equivalent) not doing their job, I don't think your mental processes or decision trees have anything lacking.

This was not a "riding error" on your part.
    This was not another vehicle causing you to make life decisions.
    This was not a foreseeable thing. Your brain was ahead of the bike, you knew the turn, the pothole was the variable.
    You made a decision to go one way. Was going the other way even an option - into oncoming traffic? Would it have been better? Do not second guess yourself.

Bottom line: when there is nothing wrong with your physical abilities (May?!?), I am sure you shall find your mental abilities in top shape and all the work you shall do prepping and checking your bike will only reinforce your self-confidence. You got this.
    Cheers,
    Steve

Make sure you have all the right gear, research the best stuff you can find and don't hold back. When you health, get back on the bike and get out away from cars and the congestion and just cruise around and get the groove back. It will come back faster than you think. Glad you are hurt more seriously and that the bike is all fixed up.

Have fun riding.

shooter
    Zeuss the MSF course sounds like a great idea. If you want to go it on your own I would suggest starting out on something like a 250 in a parking lot. Practice maneuvers , stops , starts and just in general get your balance back. No group rides when you get back on the girl. Side roads only , low speed cruising. Your confidence will come back riding solo. Nobody watching. Think positive , a book or CD to boost self esteem and confidence will help. Good luck buddy.

Hi Zeus661,
    I Hope your recovery goes well and quick, sorry to hear about the mishap.

So, let me share with you my riding this year. I live just north of Detroit and know too well the conditions of the roads.
    I picked up one of the faster black F6B's early this year, and almost all of my miles were in Ohio. Once I get out for a ride
    the first thing I do is head south on I-75 to Toledo, and that is where my bike gets real happy. From there I have all sorts of options,
    south, east or west, any direction I take, the roads are excellent.
    Yeah, we have some morons running the road commissions in Michigan, they probably own stock in the companies making orange road cones.
    Only wish I could relocate and skip the hour ride just to get off of the Michigan roads.
    Anyway, get a hold of me in May, I'lll ride with you, the best way to get back in the saddle is to just get on and ride, start with the rural roads you're most familair with, the just a bit more each time.

Time heals/hides all wounds...
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

time and experience is the answer

I've trashed many a bike, surprisingly most not my fault. It takes some time, and i agree, the course is a great way to "get back on the horse" . Every time I have gone down, you are changed a little, not scared, but more observant. I scan intersections allot, at night, I actively look for the deer, rather than passively. I scan my rear views at lights, while the bike is in gear. Each time I learn from the previous accident, and incorporate lessons for the future. I do this almost subconsciously. Its still amazingly fun for me to ride, and i'm a better rider for it! It is taboo, but here is a timeline of all the scoots, and their outcomes. as you can see it gets better with time and experience.

1971 yam 200/2 stroke more time down than on the road- oil injectors screwed up, would seize the engine all the time, lotsa fun at 60MPH, squared off the tires on that one!
    1989- 16 YO with her licence 20 mins, coming back from the DMV took out me and my suzuki savage in Syracuse ny
    1990's killed a couple of dirt bikes while showing my ass
    1978 Yamaha xs750 triple on some ill prompted off roading
    seccaII 650 mostly up, but sometimes not- 7 tickets on one stop for this one. pissed the cop off good.
    2000-intruder 1400 hit some sand and went down, no damage just embarrassment
    1989 FLHT dumped a few times in parking lots
    2006 FLHX dumped a few times nothing major
    2011 ultra classic limited- never down
    2013 F6B never down - knock on wood

Good luck getting back on the horse, don't take too long and don't let the fear overcome you!