Windshields - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windshields

Clearview

Anyone have a picture of an F6B with the small Clearview, Sport Tour width and upper recurve on their F6B?

I spent 20 years building and flying model planes. It is a very expensive hobby that is a lot of fun and at the same time you cant help but learn some things. After owning a few bikes with batwing fairings, these aero principles are reinforced. Here is what I learned.

Just putting a sheet of lexan in front of your face to block the wind has been going on for years. It has become the UNQUESTIONED method for motorcycle comfort whether it is attached to the forks, triple tree or fairing. Harley's batwing fairing is NOT the best way to shield the rider, but lo and behold, the style has stuck and the MoCo refuses to change the design fearing change is a bad thing. (Imagine That!). Next time out on your bike, try this experiment. Hold your hand out like you are giving a signal for a right turn. Notice the resistance on the palm of your hand. Imagine what the resistance is On a huge sheet of plastic bolted to the forks and you see what is going on with a Road King.

The best wind management comes with a fixed fairing like is on the B, Wing, Vision, Road Glide, etc where the fairing is mounted to the frame as the frame is much more of a solid foundation to mount a device for wind penetration. Now we get to the shape of the device that distributes the force of the wind around your body. IN MY OPINION this is just as important For EFFICIENCY as any other part of the wind management system you put in place. The accepted thinking is bigger is better. I disagree. It has been my personal experience that the design of Klock Werks provides the best protection, penetration, and efficiency while not disturbing the handling of the machine itself.

Your opinion may vary. While most people freely give their opinion on what they like, this is the reason WHY I like the Klock Werks shield. I think many will dismiss the product because of the strange looks, but it is the look that makes it so good. Research the product for the history and accomplishments and buy wisely.

PS----no slight to other products intended. Ride safe

windshields

I researched windshields for days and came up with the Clearview as my choice. I talked with the company and decided on the large as I am 6'1". The difference was huge but there is a lot more whind noise than on the batwing of my 2009 Ultra. I then changed the seat to a Mustang which sits you lower by an inch. A little better but I don't think this is perfect yet. I'm going to leave this alone for a while to try to sort this out but I find highway buffeting at 70-80 miles per hour to be annoying over long periods. I have 3 types of helmets but find my half helmet almost useless with this setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    I researched windshields for days and came up with the Clearview as my choice. I talked with the company and decided on the large as I am 6'1". The difference was huge but there is a lot more whind noise than on the batwing of my 2009 Ultra. I then changed the seat to a Mustang which sits you lower by an inch. A little better but I don't think this is perfect yet. I'm going to leave this alone for a while to try to sort this out but I find highway buffeting at 70-80 miles per hour to be annoying over long periods. I have 3 types of helmets but find my half helmet almost useless with this setup.
    Did you get the upper recurve on your Clearview?

windshieds

Yes

Plam Bay Florida, summer in Battle Creek, Mi.

Windshields

Does anyone know if the Baker wings that fasten to the bottom of the mirrors helps much with buffeting around the ears and shoulders. I have a Clearview and love it, but still get a little to much buffeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Does anyone know if the Baker wings that fasten to the bottom of the mirrors helps much with buffeting around the ears and shoulders.
    YES!!! Highly recommended! Also reduces buffeting for passenger.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    It has been my personal experience that the design of Klock Werks provides the best protection, penetration, and efficiency while not disturbing the handling of the machine itself.

Your opinion may vary. While most people freely give their opinion on what they like, this is the reason WHY I like the Klock Werks shield. I think many will dismiss the product because of the strange looks, but it is the look that makes it so good. Research the product for the history and accomplishments and buy wisely.

PS----no slight to other products intended. Ride safe
    I posted last week about my windshield collection, and my last purchase was the Klock Werks. While it looks good, it doesn't even compare to the Madstad that I own. Have you tried the Madstad? Lowest noise and buffet level of "all" that I have tried. I use the 11" shield on the M/S, and plan to put it back on the bike tomorrow. All others are going up for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    Aero stuff can get very tricky and needs to be adjusted for the person. As stated just lowering your head 1" makes a difference. The same is true if a seat moves you forward or back. A person needs to find their "sweet spot ". If you are sitting on the bike the top of the shield should be about level with the bridge of your nose. This is a good rule of thumb for standard shields. As I said earlier, bigger is not better. Why? Think of it this way-a vacuum moves blades thru the air and the motion sucks air to replace the air disturbed by the blade. The same aerodynamic principle is true with a windshield on your bike. While the shield is punching a hole in the air, you are sitting behind it enjoying the vacuum. However wind is rushing up from the bottom to replace the air being displaced by by the windshield. This is where the buffeting comes into play. The smaller the shield, the less the buffeting. It is air coming up from below that causing the problem. The fixed fairing really helps a lot. Other things such as lowers also help.

The angle of the shield also comes into play, but the problem with that is there is not any adjustments to be made on our B.

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    I posted last week about my windshield collection, and my last purchase was the Klock Werks. While it looks good, it doesn't even compare to the Madstad that I own. Have you tried the Madstad? Lowest noise and buffet level of "all" that I have tried. I use the 11" shield on the M/S, and plan to put it back on the bike tomorrow. All others are going up for sale.
    Being able to adjust the angle and the height to find that "sweet spot" gets good results.

Sorry, but I just can't get past the looks of the Madstad.