How to RV
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to RV

How to RV

Well w/retirement a possibility next year, I am considering some occasional travel, a combination of long weekends, maybe a week here and their and the possibility of a month in the winter. Being not the smartest guy in the room, more of a spender than a saver and a sig other that although younger, their for will have to work about 10 years longer, but will never pull in a much money, I need to watch my pennies.

I will be either going w/ a class b, camper van style or a class c, van front, box back, style, not really interested in pulling a camper or having one in the bed of a pickup truck. It will be the (2) of us and the dog. The class b van would be the easiest to maneuver and use as a second vehicle, the class c would afford more room and storage. Would be towing the 6 of course. still open to all suggestions, any input would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Well w/retirement a possibility next year, I am considering some occasional travel, a combination of long weekends, maybe a week here and their and the possibility of a month in the winter. Being not the smartest guy in the room, more of a spender than a saver and a sig other that although younger, their for will have to work about 10 years longer, but will never pull in a much money, I need to watch my pennies.

I will be either going w/ a class b, camper van style or a class c, van front, box back, style, not really interested in pulling a camper or having one in the bed of a pickup truck. It will be the (2) of us and the dog. The class b van would be the easiest to maneuver and use as a second vehicle, the class c would afford more room and storage. Would be towing the 6 of course. still open to all suggestions, any input would be appreciated.
    Pull a Bunkhouse camper with your F6B?
    Deer Slayer
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it.

If I loose a little weight and learn yoga, I could sleep in the Bushtec, not sure about the g'friend and dog. lol

Camp at the Holiday Inn...its cheaper !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Camp at the Holiday Inn...its cheaper !!!
    +1. Since I retired from the USMC - the Holiday Inn IS the new definition of camping.

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    +1. Since I retired from the USMC - the Holiday Inn IS the new definition of camping.
    You should have joined the AF...you would not have to wait until retirement!

Quote Originally Posted by ReserveBum View Post
    You should have joined the AF...you would not have to wait until retirement!
    Air Force: "A great way of life."
    USMC: "Doing bad things to bad people for 239 years."

Of course, since I wanted to fly, I didn't chose AF. The Navy/USMC has more pilots than the AF, and I believe the Army has even more.
    But yes, the conditions could get a bit "austere" at times.

Reminds me of the cartoon where the Soldiers are up to their waist in a swamp and one says to the other "This sucks."
    The next panel showed two Marines neck deep in the swamp and one says "I love how this sucks."
    Next panel, two Sailors are looking through a porthole and in the binoculars you could see the Marines in the swamp, and one Sailor says "That's gotta suck."
    Last panel, Airman Smith is in his hotel room, reclining on the bed, remote in his hand and says out loud "What? No cable? This sucks.!"

Not better nor worse, just different.
    And with just under 40 hours in F-4s, yes, they rock!
    Cheers,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    If I loose a little weight and learn yoga, I could sleep in the Bushtec, not sure about the g'friend and dog. lol
    King size bed! Pile em in.
    Deer Slayer
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Air Force: "A great way of life."
    USMC: "Doing bad things to bad people for 239 years."

Of course, since I wanted to fly, I didn't chose AF. The Navy/USMC has more pilots than the AF, and I believe the Army has even more.
    But yes, the conditions could get a bit "austere" at times.

Reminds me of the cartoon where the Soldiers are up to their waist in a swamp and one says to the other "This sucks."
    The next panel showed two Marines neck deep in the swamp and one says "I love how this sucks."
    Next panel, two Sailors are looking through a porthole and in the binoculars you could see the Marines in the swamp, and one Sailor says "That's gotta suck."
    Last panel, Airman Smith is in his hotel room, reclining on the bed, remote in his hand and says out loud "What? No cable? This sucks.!"

Not better nor worse, just different.
    And with just under 40 hours in F-4s, yes, they rock!
    Cheers,
    Steve
    Too funny !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Here's a little I learned:

1. Don't buy new. There's a ton of used RV's out there to suit every taste and budget.

2. Walmart is your friend. There's an atlas available (at Walmart) that lists every Walmart and where it is located. You can stay overnight at most Walmarts for no charge. Warning: the wife will get bored riding all day in the RV and go shopping at night.

3. Sign up for the Good Sam breakdown coverage. I've used them 4 times for tire changes.