Somebody managed ape hangers

Thread: Somebody managed ape hangers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I would really like to know what had to go into that mod.....I don't necessarily want full apes, but I would like to envision mini-apes. Had a shoulder surgery and mini-apes (like my Heritage) are as high as I can comfortably go.
    Also, teaching the BRC2 and ARC might prove to be difficult with anything higher.
    Looks sharp!
    Steve

With mini-apes on the Heritage, doing the demonstration for the "Figure 8 Box Pattern" can get interesting quickly.
    The first turn is to the left, so I am at full right arm forward up high AND I have to shift my butt to the right without pulling down or back on the right handgrip or pushing forward on the left grip.
    Then rollout, shift butt back to middle (sometimes I cheat and overshoot to prepare for the right turn).
    Get some speed up then a full right turn with left arm fully extended and right arm tucked close, shifting my butt to the left.
    I use substantial leg pressure on the footpegs to keep everything stabilized.
    It is more difficult to perform this maneuver with higher handlebars. Yes, it can be done through practice and now I don't think too much of it except, "oh yeah - this bike."

I find my hands being just slightly lower than my shoulders quite comfortable. Higher than my shoulders is "work" and some pain due to that surgery I had years back.
    This position also keeps me from the "lean-too-far-forward-sportbike" posture that puts too much pressure on my bum shoulder.
    And while the stock setup is adequate, once I decide on a seat to keep forever, some sort of handlebar mod will follow. Might get away with something less costly than Helibars, but in fairness to Murphy, probably not.
    Cheers,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    With mini-apes on the Heritage, doing the demonstration for the "Figure 8 Box Pattern" can get interesting quickly.
    The first turn is to the left, so I am at full right arm forward up high AND I have to shift my butt to the right without pulling down or back on the right handgrip or pushing forward on the left grip.
    Then rollout, shift butt back to middle (sometimes I cheat and overshoot to prepare for the right turn).
    Most of the time when I demo the box. I don't counterweight. Instead I use rear brake under power. Try it if you haven't. I use this technique in my real world riding.

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    Most of the time when I demo the box. I don't counterweight. Instead I use rear brake under power. Try it if you haven't. I use this technique in my real world riding.
    I use that technique "real-world" also, but I'm also teaching the students to NOT use their brake whilst in a turn. One of my rider coaches was doing this in the box and when his brake lights came on, the students were all "Oh, oh, he is braking in a turn!"
    Ensuing discussions of the physics of "power-on" rear wheel braking were not fruitful.

I do make a point of using the brake under power while demo-ing the clutch control lanes, usually accompanied by the story of using this technique to go slow enough AND be stable during the "Slow-speed-suspended-hot-dog-eating-contest."

Slow and controlled will get it every time.
    Cheers,
    Steve

HELL YES!!! That's what I been looking for!! Hook me up with some info!! I had apes on my previous bike and swore that I'd always have them...if you haven't ridden with them, they are AWESOME!!! Loved mine and couldn't believe there wasn't something similar for my wing! Those are the only thing I miss about my old bikes and would make my wing PERFECT! So how'd ya do it? Thanks!!

alright, enough suspense already!! How'd ya do it? Yes, I'm impatient...

I think it looks pretty cool. Well done

^ I like it !