Somebody managed ape hangers - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Somebody managed ape hangers

ChainsawChuck

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Hey Tommy , not my cup of tea but I like it for you brother. I don't believe you was trying to make it look like a Harley but rather an F6B with apes. Like the red wheels. Do your thing man. There are always haters. Ignore them. Until they start making your payments its your to do as you want. Mod on!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawChuck View Post
    I also like the red wheels, did you paint them or have them powder coated? Sharp looking bike!
    They are powder coated, it's holds up much better than paint.

Great handleing

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyWho View Post
    Those apes gotta kill the handling of the 6.

They don't kill the handling, if anything I like it better. But I've had many apes for years and years and am used to them.

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Tommy .......

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Quote Originally Posted by mctommy65 View Post
    They don't kill the handling, if anything I like it better. But I've had many apes for years and years and am used to them.
    OK cool, I guess its all what you're used to. Enjoy

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I do like the red wheels though.

I'll take some pics if I can get over that way this weekend. As long as it's ok with Tommy.

Not sure handle bars have anything to do with the handling of a MCY... input is all that affects the turning...so much more is done in your behind !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyWho View Post
    Those apes gotta kill the handling of the 6.
    Apes definitely wouldn't be desirable on the track, but for regular street riding many folks like the comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Not sure handle bars have anything to do with the handling of a MCY... input is all that affects the turning...so much more is done in your behind !!!
    Surely you don't believe that.....input to the handlebars is exactly what causes motorcycle "lean".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countersteering

With mini-apes on the Heritage, doing the demonstration for the "Figure 8 Box Pattern" can get interesting quickly.
    The first turn is to the left, so I am at full right arm forward up high AND I have to shift my butt to the right without pulling down or back on the right handgrip or pushing forward on the left grip.
    Then rollout, shift butt back to middle (sometimes I cheat and overshoot to prepare for the right turn).
    Get some speed up then a full right turn with left arm fully extended and right arm tucked close, shifting my butt to the left.
    I use substantial leg pressure on the footpegs to keep everything stabilized.
    It is more difficult to perform this maneuver with higher handlebars. Yes, it can be done through practice and now I don't think too much of it except, "oh yeah - this bike."

I find my hands being just slightly lower than my shoulders quite comfortable. Higher than my shoulders is "work" and some pain due to that surgery I had years back.
    This position also keeps me from the "lean-too-far-forward-sportbike" posture that puts too much pressure on my bum shoulder.
    And while the stock setup is adequate, once I decide on a seat to keep forever, some sort of handlebar mod will follow. Might get away with something less costly than Helibars, but in fairness to Murphy, probably not.
    Cheers,
    Steve