Somebody managed ape hangers - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Somebody managed ape hangers

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Not sure handle bars have anything to do with the handling of a MCY... input is all that affects the turning...so much more is done in your behind !!!
    I respectfully disagree, the height and position of the handle bars effect the overall control of the bike, minor adjustments are noticeable. So I would believe large changes would be very noticeable and beyond a certain amount would very negatively effect the handling. Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyWho View Post
    I respectfully disagree, the hight and position of the handle bars effect the overall control of the bike, minor adjustments are noticeable. So I would believe large changes would be very noticeable and beyond a certain amount would very negatively effect the handling. Just my .02
    True, but pushing on handle bars is still pushing on handle bars...
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    True, but pushing on handle bars is still pushing on handle bars...
    Yes...but the ease of difficulty or relative ease, coupled with the angle of attack of the arms doing the pushing makes for vastly different mechanics.
    We've all been in the situation where we couldn't get "enough leverage" to break torque on a bolt due to the angle between our forearm and the socket wrench.
    Yes, pushing handlebars doesn't (shouldn't) require that much torque, but with apes or even low drag bars, the force applied is still at an angle to the desired movement of the handlebars and requires practice and muscle group repetition to master effectively.

And Steve, with your most excellent physique so prominently displayed elsewhere in these hallowed pages, you are probably exempt.....
    Cheers.
    Steve

Not to change the subject, but look at the photo montage of the scooter turning left in the wik. link I referenced in my earlier post. Notice what the front wheel does in initiating a left turn. This is the very reason that if you get too close to a curb, you can't get away from it, and you will crash. The front wheel has to actually turn towards the curb momentarily, to initiate motorcycle "lean" to get away from it. Maybe at slow speed you can weight transfer away from it, but if you are moving faster, prepare to crash.

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    With mini-apes on the Heritage, doing the demonstration for the "Figure 8 Box Pattern" can get interesting quickly.
    The first turn is to the left, so I am at full right arm forward up high AND I have to shift my butt to the right without pulling down or back on the right handgrip or pushing forward on the left grip.
    Then rollout, shift butt back to middle (sometimes I cheat and overshoot to prepare for the right turn).
    Most of the time when I demo the box. I don't counterweight. Instead I use rear brake under power. Try it if you haven't. I use this technique in my real world riding.

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    Most of the time when I demo the box. I don't counterweight. Instead I use rear brake under power. Try it if you haven't. I use this technique in my real world riding.
    I use that technique "real-world" also, but I'm also teaching the students to NOT use their brake whilst in a turn. One of my rider coaches was doing this in the box and when his brake lights came on, the students were all "Oh, oh, he is braking in a turn!"
    Ensuing discussions of the physics of "power-on" rear wheel braking were not fruitful.

I do make a point of using the brake under power while demo-ing the clutch control lanes, usually accompanied by the story of using this technique to go slow enough AND be stable during the "Slow-speed-suspended-hot-dog-eating-contest."

Slow and controlled will get it every time.
    Cheers,
    Steve

HELL YES!!! That's what I been looking for!! Hook me up with some info!! I had apes on my previous bike and swore that I'd always have them...if you haven't ridden with them, they are AWESOME!!! Loved mine and couldn't believe there wasn't something similar for my wing! Those are the only thing I miss about my old bikes and would make my wing PERFECT! So how'd ya do it? Thanks!!

alright, enough suspense already!! How'd ya do it? Yes, I'm impatient...

I think it looks pretty cool. Well done

I think it's in the same category as mopeds and fat chicks

But right on, dude!