GPS route planning

Thread: GPS route planning

GPS route planning

I am looking for a good GPS that has a trip planning program so I can do the planning work on a lap top and transfer the trip to my gps. Like I used to do with a very early Garmin and mapquest.

It seems most gps today are only a point a to b with no planning ability.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. ( not interested in the over-priced motorcycle models either. )

Thank!

I have a Garmin 590 Zumo. You can do routes. I have done a cross country routes on my computer and transferred them to my 590. I have also done some less complex day routes on the 590. You have to learn Garmin Basecamp to use your computer for routing and you have to connect the GPS to your computer to get the more detailed, secondary road maps that are on the 590. I guess you can buy a program from Gamin to load on your computer, I have not figured out what to buy so it matches the maps on the 590. Making routes is different on Basecamp, and for me, harder than the older Mapsource Garmins. The 590 has a large screen that is readable in the sunlight. It is too expensive. Given the other GPS options, I am satisfied with the 590.

Yes, I agree GPSs today seem to be more for point A to point B or finding a business units more than trip planning.

2014 F6B Deluxe - Yellow

Most of the Garmin Motorcycle units that have a memory card can do this. If you use a Mac the maps will move over, Honda Trip Planner and H.D. has a nice one as well.... Some say the Zumo 550 is the best unit and some say the newer versions are better.... hope this helps...
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com