second ride
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: second ride

second ride

I was able to take a second ride today as the weather cooperated nicely today. I am starting to think it's maybe a little quiet for my liking but I will still give it some time before I mod the exhaust. I was a little timid the last time I rode as coming from a '94 ultra classic so the power still feels immense. Low end torque it's very much to my liking many roads in my area are twisties with lots of hills. I found that roll on power if I needed to slow to around 40 in a corner while not grab the seat of your pants it was quite acceptable in overdrive. Tried 4th gear at around 40 and the response was incredible when compared to 5th gear or even my Harley.smoothest machine I've ever ridden , even smoother than my wife's accord...maybe.my only complaint at 6'1" would be wind. However a taller windscreen will fix that. Overall I am very impressed with this machine and can see myself on a full blown wing when (if) I grow up.
    When a Man Lies He Murders
    Some Part of the World
    These Are the Pale Deaths Which
    Men Miscall Their Lives
    All this I Cannot Bear
    to Witness Any Longer......

Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker View Post
    I was able to take a second ride today as the weather cooperated nicely today. I am starting to think it's maybe a little quiet for my liking but I will still give it some time before I mod the exhaust. I was a little timid the last time I rode as coming from a '94 ultra classic so the power still feels immense. Low end torque it's very much to my liking many roads in my area are twisties with lots of hills. I found that roll on power if I needed to slow to around 40 in a corner while not grab the seat of your pants it was quite acceptable in overdrive. Tried 4th gear at around 40 and the response was incredible when compared to 5th gear or even my Harley.smoothest machine I've ever ridden , even smoother than my wife's accord...maybe.my only complaint at 6'1" would be wind. However a taller windscreen will fix that. Overall I am very impressed with this machine and can see myself on a full blown wing when (if) I grow up.
    I got out for a ride today, it was 62-degrees just north of Detroit, been about a month since I was out riding.
    What's your plans for a windshield? There's quite a few reviews on this board from members who replaced their stock windshield.
    There's plenty of choices, I'm on my third windshield, and still need to buy another, still getting too much wind and noise. I think the Madstad is next for me.

Not sure about a full blown wing, think you need an AARP card for one of those!

No thoughts yet...I may go with a different helmet even. I am thinking windscreen but still unsure..I will ride it a little more just to decide how much taller I want to go...
    Some Part of the World
    Men Miscall Their Lives
    All this I Cannot Bear

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by F6B1911 View Post
    but funny

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Quote Originally Posted by F6B1911 View Post
    I got out for a ride today, it was 62-degrees just north of Detroit, been about a month since I was out riding.
    What's your plans for a windshield? There's quite a few reviews on this board from members who replaced their stock windshield.
    There's plenty of choices, I'm on my third windshield, and still need to buy another, still getting too much wind and noise. I think the Madstad is next for me.

I don't know where it was 62 degrees around Detroit, but out here in Commerce Twp. it was only about 48-50 and misty with a light rain most of the day..(Maybe I should move to St. Clair Shores)..not.....Have you tried the adjustable Baggershield 11-19"? I love mine and it does an excellent job with wind noise, protection and turbulence.....Madstad's get some good press, but to me they are just plain "Fugly" with all the braces and stuff....BTW, I know of a couple of "Wingers" that can put most riders of the F6B to shame in the "twisties"...The GW is definitely not just for "old guys"....Regards and ride safe...

Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker View Post
    nicely today. I am starting to think it's maybe a little quiet for my liking but I will still give it some time before I mod the exhaust. I was a little timid the last time I rode as coming from a '94 ultra classic so the power still feels immense. Low end torque it's very much to my liking many roads in my area are twisties with lots of hills. I found that roll on power if I needed to slow to around 40 in a corner while not grab the seat of your pants it was quite acceptable in overdrive. Tried 4th gear at around 40 and the response was incredible when compared to 5th gear
    Driving in 5th (OD) at 40 mph? Blasphemy!
    4th gear at 40 mph and the response was incredible?
    You've barely dipped into the 'B's potential yet.
    Wind out the gears to 5k rpm at full throttle. Peak torque is right around 5300 rpm IIRC.
    Then let us know how you feel.

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    I don't know where it was 62 degrees around Detroit, but out here in Commerce Twp. it was only about 48-50 and misty with a light rain most of the day..(Maybe I should move to St. Clair Shores)..not.....Have you tried the adjustable Baggershield 11-19"? I love mine and it does an excellent job with wind noise, protection and turbulence.....Madstad's get some good press, but to me they are just plain "Fugly" with all the braces and stuff....BTW, I know of a couple of "Wingers" that can put most riders of the F6B to shame in the "twisties"...The GW is definitely not just for "old guys"....Regards and ride safe...
    Yeah, it was great, I had no intentions on a ride today, rain was forecast for the whole day. Ran the lawnmower one last time to pickup what leaves were left, finished up in a T-Shirt.
    Saw it was 62-degrees on the garage thermometer, so I went for a ride, it never rained here until after 5:00pm.

No, I have not tried the Baggershield, the Madstad may not be the best looking shield, but the talk here on this board is all positive.

Aww come'on, the full blown Goldwing comment was only humor!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    Driving in 5th (OD) at 40 mph? Blasphemy!
    4th gear at 40 mph and the response was incredible?
    You've barely dipped into the 'B's potential yet.
    Wind out the gears to 5k rpm at full throttle. Peak torque is right around 5300 rpm IIRC.
    Then let us know how you feel.
    I realize the potential hasn't been tapped yet however I just today rolled up 60mi. Total on this machine. I said the power was immense compared to 5th or my Harley. I have always taken it easy until I get really comfy on a bike. I still want to rode it like my Harley ( which as rpm's went up here came the flat spot in the power band). While this bike handles amazingly it will still take a few miles before I feel comfy enough to tap out.
    Some Part of the World
    Men Miscall Their Lives
    All this I Cannot Bear

I rode today too, it hit 79. I foresee a taller windshield in your future. It's one of the first things that most F6B owners change out. The stock shorty screen looks cool, but is worthless for providing any wind protection. The Klockwerks Flare is a good compromise if you want to retain the short windscreen look while also providing decent wind protection.

Quote Originally Posted by XKnight View Post
    I rode today too, it hit 79. I foresee a taller windshield in your future. It's one of the first things that most F6B owners change out. The stock shorty screen looks cool, but is worthless for providing any wind protection. The Klockwerks Flare is a good compromise if you want to retain the short windscreen look while also providing decent wind protection.
    Yeah, what he said about KW Flare!