HOV Lane Position

Thread: HOV Lane Position

HOV Lane Position

For those of you that ride in the HOV lane (motorcycles are permitted in AZ) what part of the lane do you like to ride? I'm torn because part of me wants to ride on the left side to kind of hide behind the car in front of me so if someone tries to pull into the lane I won't get hit. Well at slow speed the other day I almost did get hit. If I was further right I probably would have been hit. But if I want to be seen better maybe riding on the right side is better. But then I feel more vulnerable and if someone cuts over my reaction time will be shorter.

Let's hear what you think and share some experiences with this issue.

LEFT

I mostly ride in the left part of the HOV lane for the reasons you said. Really it all depends on the traffic around me as to me deciding which part of a lane I ride in.
    It is a very complex formula that I use that requires hours, days, months and years to master.

Left side, left lane if I'm not turning off for a while. If I plan to exit to the right, I get to the far right of the exit lane. I too like to give some "buffer" room.

If I am on the Interstate, I am always in the far left lane and I am setting the pace. It is not that I like speeding-- quite the opposite. Blending in with the traffic makes a bike invisible. Being on the far left on the left lane makes sure I have un-obstructed access to my "out" which is the shoulder should somebody decide to crowd me.

Another question for Florida riders. I have seen some interstates in busy cities with a small lane about 4 or 5 feet wide between the far left HOV lane and the next one over. It looks like a "Motorcycle only" lane. Is that correct? I can't imagine what else it could be.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    If I am on the Interstate, I am always in the far left lane and I am setting the pace. It is not that I like speeding-- quite the opposite. Blending in with the traffic makes a bike invisible. Being on the far left on the left lane makes sure I have un-obstructed access to my "out" which is the shoulder should somebody decide to crowd me.

Another question for Florida riders. I have seen some interstates in busy cities with a small lane about 4 or 5 feet wide between the far left HOV lane and the next one over. It looks like a "Motorcycle only" lane. Is that correct? I can't imagine what else it could be.
    Fla...the answer is no...dead mans zone...

I ride the line..no matter what lane I am in... I also set the pace and feel this is a safer practice...The above quote says it all for me !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Like most others, i ride left of the left lane. Sometimes i may ride to the right for a bit purposefully to hopefully ensure i make myself known to the cagers driver sideview mirror since the B is so silent.

I had too many close calls this year, and ended up grabbing a Hi-viz yellow riding jacket, and I'll be darned if that didn't help.
    I call it my "See me now" jacket. I do, however still wear my Conspicuity vest over the new jacket.

If I have any more close calls next spring, I'll figure out how to mount a shotgun rack.

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by F6B1911 View Post
    I had too many close calls this year, and ended up grabbing a Hi-viz yellow riding jacket, and I'll be darned if that didn't help.
    I call it my "See me now" jacket. I do, however still wear my Conspicuity vest over the new jacket.

If I have any more close calls next spring, I'll figure out how to mount a shotgun rack.
    I've already got a prototype on the mount.

Thanks for the input. We gotta stay sharp out there!

I am just the opposite of everyone else..we don't have hov lanes here in Ohio and quite frankly we don't drive very well either...If I'm in the left lane I like to stay right, if I'm in the right lane I stay left....for the reason of being visible to the side mirror of the car in the adjacent lane...I don't have as good a view of the shoulder but I do have a better view of the cars in the opposite lane and also i have a little more distance to make a decision on path of travel...and there is something to the hi-vis..I have a buddy who has ridden for many years and he swears he hasn't had a fraction of the near misses since he bought his bright orange bike
    When a Man Lies He Murders
    Some Part of the World
    These Are the Pale Deaths Which
    Men Miscall Their Lives
    All this I Cannot Bear
    to Witness Any Longer......