Any difference(s) between 2013 and 2014 F6B?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any difference(s) between 2013 and 2014 F6B?

Any difference(s) between 2013 and 2014 F6B?

Got on a '14 Valkyrie this May and absolutely love it. However it is what it is ... a Cruiser and isn't much fun for rides over 1 1/2 hours.

Soooooo ... now i'm looking at potentially jumping on a new 2013 F6B.

Are there any differences between the 2013 and 2014 models? I've not been able to find any information indicating so.

The only difference is the 2014s have a beefed up transmission. Given how few reports there are of transmission problems on the 2013 and older Goldwings, you're probably not risking much by getting a 2013.

Supposedly, Madstad is working on a windshield for the Valkyrie. If true, you might be able to get the wind protection you want(I'm assuming that is your main issue) without the expense of changing bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by CheesyRider View Post

Supposedly, Madstad is working on a windshield for the F6B. If true, you might be able to get the wind protection you want(I'm assuming that is your main issue) without the expense of changing bikes.
    I've had an F6B Madstad for a year. I assume you meant the Valk

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    I've had an F6B Madstad for a year. I assume you meant the Valk
    Yep, that's what I meant. I fixed my post.

Thanks guys!

Yeah it basically boils down to not being comfortable after about 1 1/2 hours, no wind protection and the lack of bags available to take on and off quickly.

6 months ago I didn't intend on doing many long rides. That has changed recently and is why the F6B is calling my name.

The only difference is the 2014s have a beefed up transmission. Given how few reports there are of transmission problems on the 2013 and older Goldwings, you're probably not risking much by getting a 2013.

Supposedly, Madstad is working on a windshield for the Valkyrie. If true, you might be able to get the wind protection you want(I'm assuming that is your main issue) without the expense of changing bikes.
    2014's do not have a "beefed-up" transmission...Honda put a different coating on the 4th & 5th gears in a effort to enhance longevity and load as many riders overload the GW and F6B bikes....I suppose one could call it a minor beef-up, but nothing else was changed except the coating material.....Transmission issues seem to be very rare in the flat six motor.....

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    2014's do not have a "beefed-up" transmission...Honda put a different coating on the 4th & 5th gears in a effort to enhance longevity and load as many riders overload the GW and F6B bikes....I suppose one could call it a minor beef-up, but nothing else was changed except the coating material.....Transmission issues seem to be very rare in the flat six motor.....
    There are conflicting reports out there. Someone on this forum got an email directly from Honda stating the only difference is the coating. Elsewhere on the interwebz, there is a guy who rebuilds Goldwing transmissions who claims there were more substantial changes.

The only difference is the 2014s have a beefed up transmission.
    To elaborate, the only beefing up is a different heat treatment on the 4th and 5th output gears.

Transmission change from 2013 to 2014.

2013:

2014:

Someone on this forum got an email directly from Honda stating the only difference is the coating.
    That was me.

I inquired to Honda Canada about the trans difference between '13 and '14. Initially Honda Canada just brushed me off saying there were no changes. After I emailed them back saying plesae check again, they told me they had been in touch with Honda USA and yes, they were sorry, that indeed there was a minor change to the trans starting with all models of GL1800 for 2014.
    They told me that the coating was the only difference. Now that I read the link above to Greg's info, it seems like US Honda is either lying or so far out of the engineering loop that they are not to be trusted for technical information.

And after reading about the difference in the design of the gears for '14, I'm glad I have a '13.
    BTW, I have never experienced a ghost shift.