Looking for a new seat
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new seat

Looking for a new seat

G'day all,
    I'm in the process of getting the bike ready for another possible trip around Australia some time in the future and I'm looking to replace the stock seat on my F6B.

I'm 6' tall and about 100kg and i don't think that i necessarily need a seat that will drop me down further, but i need one that will allow me to cover up to 600km per day at most. The one that seems to stick out as the most suitable from what i've read (not seen unfortunately) is the Mustang Tripper Fastback.

I would be interested in opinions both good and bad and also ideas on other suitable seats/brands

Regards and best

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cosborn View Post
    G'day all,
    I'm in the process of getting the bike ready for another possible trip around Australia some time in the future and I'm looking to replace the stock seat on my F6B.

I'm 6' tall and about 100kg and i don't think that i necessarily need a seat that will drop me down further, but i need one that will allow me to cover up to 600km per day at most. The one that seems to stick out as the most suitable from what i've read (not seen unfortunately) is the Mustang Tripper Fastback.

I would be interested in opinions both good and bad and also ideas on other suitable seats/brands

Regards and best

Chris

The Mustang is a top quality seat, construction wise, not so much for me in the comfort zone. Lots of guys here love them. My concern for you is your knee position as you are tall. That's what bugged me. I also tried the Ultimate Mid Rider. It didn't work either, yet it is another top quality seat. Pushed me too far towards the handlebars, kind of like the stock Full Gold Wing does. I ended up getting an Air Hawk and have made 1k mile days on the stock seat using this when my butt got sore. It's all a matter what fits ya and makes ya happy. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by cosborn View Post
    G'day all,

Regards and best

Chris

Hi, I am about your size, and have ridden over 200,000 miles on GL1800's. I have used the stock seat because it is water proof. No need to cover the seat as it rains. Just my 2 cents.
    Deer Slayer
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it.

Go Ultimate...I have had both!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I sent an email to Mustang Seats in the US

G'day all,
    I have a 2013 Honda F6B and I'm interested in replacing the stock seat with a Mustang Tripper Fastback seat.
    I do about 40,000 km per year, I'm 5'11", 100kg and am looking for a seat that will allow me to travel up to 600 km per day. I
    have a couple of concerns which are:
    1. Will the seat be lower than the original seat. I am happy with the current seat height and angle of the legs. I have had a hip replacement!
    2. Will the seat still let me remove the bikes side covers without having to remove the seat?
    3. Can i still use the original Honda passenger backrest?
    4. Rough estimate of cost landed in Canberra Australia in US $
    5. Estimate of delivery time.

And their reply to me.

Hi Chris, thanks for the email.

Our seats for the F6B position you slightly down and back, but along with the shape and angle of the foam, it should improve the rider’s posture and comfort without drastically altering your riding experience. Obviously, given your medical condition, I cannot accurately predict your personal experience.

Our design team made an aesthetic decision to bring the seat closer to the body than stock. While all controls can be accessed with the seat installed, in some cases it does become a bit more difficult to do things the way you used to with the stock seat on it.

We work with the OEM passenger backrest. You’ll need to remove it to install the seat, then re-install it after.

Considering part 76840, the shipping cost to Australia is approximately $130, not including taxes, duties or fees. This item is currently in stock, and I would expect the delivery time would be approximately a week, though to be honest international shipping is not my expertise!

Have a look at the install sheet which I have enclosed. I might warn you that this is a tricky install and it’s best if you have a friend help you out.

Chris

Cool

The seat is easy enough to install...if anything all you need is 4 long screwdrivers to alighned the holes before penetration.....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Some have had very minor issues installing the Mustang seat, others, like myself, could not make it work and had the dealer tech install the thing...Sometimes the after-market stainless bolts work, some not..they proved to be too short in my case and we used the stock seat bolts..Listen to Chris at Mustang seats as he is right when he says these seats can prove to be a PITA to install for some...Once on it is a great seat and I love mine...Well worth the money for me...Good Luck...

I guess my main concern, and don't get me wrong i love the style of the seat, but the fact that you cannot get the side covers off with the seat in place. I'm wondering if this really is a problem as most of the batteries are no maint these days. Perhaps I'm just looking at the down side.

Are there any other ideas within the forum, maybe other makes?

Chris

I know the Mustang seat fits much tighter on the side covers than stock but do not see it as a major problem. You need to remove the covers to adjust the rear shock and service battery, but how often does that occur?..In cold climates like Michigan I use a battery tender during the winter, but have a pig-tail hook up that comes out thru the side cover bottom(dealer installed) so no problems so far...I have only had the seat on for one riding season so have no real data on long term side cover removal issues...Many on the board have said they have had no problems removing the covers after loosening the seat rail bolts a little....I personally did not feel the side cover issue was significant enough to prevent me from buying this great seat!!!

Thanks opas, i'll keep that in mind, I am leaning towards the Mustang.
    I've also sent an email to Ultimate so we will see what they say, hard decision i like them both.

Chris