Looking for a new seat - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new seat

You can't go wrong with either one. I had a Mustang on my Vulcan and loved it. I have an Ultimate on my F6B and love it. The reasons I chose Ultimate over Mustang are that I'm tall and wanted the King, and I like the adjustable rider backrest which you cannot get on the Mustang for F6B.

Quote Originally Posted by cosborn View Post
    I sent an email to Mustang Seats in the US

G'day all,
    I have a 2013 Honda F6B and I'm interested in replacing the stock seat with a Mustang Tripper Fastback seat.
    I do about 40,000 km per year, I'm 5'11", 100kg and am looking for a seat that will allow me to travel up to 600 km per day. I
    have a couple of concerns which are:
    1. Will the seat be lower than the original seat. I am happy with the current seat height and angle of the legs. I have had a hip replacement!
    2. Will the seat still let me remove the bikes side covers without having to remove the seat?
    3. Can i still use the original Honda passenger backrest?
    4. Rough estimate of cost landed in Canberra Australia in US $
    5. Estimate of delivery time.

And their reply to me.

Hi Chris, thanks for the email.

Our seats for the F6B position you slightly down and back, but along with the shape and angle of the foam, it should improve the rider’s posture and comfort without drastically altering your riding experience. Obviously, given your medical condition, I cannot accurately predict your personal experience.

Our design team made an aesthetic decision to bring the seat closer to the body than stock. While all controls can be accessed with the seat installed, in some cases it does become a bit more difficult to do things the way you used to with the stock seat on it.

We work with the OEM passenger backrest. You’ll need to remove it to install the seat, then re-install it after.

Considering part 76840, the shipping cost to Australia is approximately $130, not including taxes, duties or fees. This item is currently in stock, and I would expect the delivery time would be approximately a week, though to be honest international shipping is not my expertise!

Have a look at the install sheet which I have enclosed. I might warn you that this is a tricky install and it’s best if you have a friend help you out.

Chris
    IF the Mustang Seat is what you think you may like you need to jump on it. That is a good deal for Shipping to Australia, for the size of the box. That will cost them way more then that to ship, probably about double or more because of dimensional weight.

Cheers Rick, I went to the Value Accessories website and guess what. They currently don't ship to my address, oh well.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cosborn View Post
    Cheers Rick, I went to the Value Accessories website and guess what. They currently don't ship to my address, oh well.

Chris
    I own Value-Accessories and we do ship internationally and to Australia almost every day. Some of our best customers are from Australia and we have known them for many years. We keep track of which bikes everyone owns and make sure especially when shipping half way around the globe that everything is correct.
    We try to use the postal system for you guys in Australia as much as we can, but your country limits maximum length and girth to 79" for Postal inbound shipping. We can get everything in there using the Postal System at very reasonable rates except Windshields, Seats and some Exhaust.

We do have listed on the F6B seats page that international shipping is not offered because of the large shipping expense due to the size of the box. The cheapest is about $300 for shipping to Europe. Most people can not believe it is so expensive because of the size of the box and usually will not pay it.

That is why I suggested going directly with Mustang if they were willing to ship for such a low price to Australia. Someone probably just put in the weight and not the box dimensions to go with it.

We do have both both Plain and Tuck and Roll in stock. If anyone thinks they want one you for sure do not want to wait until next Spring.

Thanks for that Rick, I now see the problem.

Cheers and best

Chris

I went up to Goulburn this morning to see a friend who makes motorcycle seats, he made a beauty for my R1150RT which allowed me to travel long distances without having to rest.I seem to remember that it cost me about $300. and lasted for over 100,000 km.

Anyway, he was quite amazed at the stock seat noting that it had no form or shape to support the bum or the back, anyway i have left him with some complaints that i have with the stock seat and he suggested that he will think about it over Christmas and come up with a plan.

For interest sake i've included his web site below and a pickie of the RT seat

http://www.mjmcustommotorbikeseats.com.au

Attachment 10131

Seat

I have a Ultimate seat on all 3 of my motorcycles and highly recommend them.

G'day Cos to some the inconvenience of the seat hindering access to the battery, suspension adjustment and fuses may not be a big deal and I can see their point. However if I was on the side of the Darwin to Port Headland road waiting for a "friend" to help with the reinstall of the seat I could be there quite some time.

What I am trying to get across is in isolated areas such as the top end people have perished waiting for mechanical assistance. I am sure you would have an understanding of this Cos but many overseas visitors vastly underestimate the importance of being prepared.

To me any aftermarket product that impairs any maintainence is off my radar. Just my two cents worth and I hope you find a solution to your seat needs. The ones your friend makes look great.

Aussie Engineered---

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    G'day Cos to some the inconvenience of the seat hindering access to the battery, suspension adjustment and fuses may not be a big deal and I can see their point. However if I was on the side of the Darwin to Port Headland road waiting for a "friend" to help with the reinstall of the seat I could be there quite some time.

What I am trying to get across is in isolated areas such as the top end people have perished waiting for mechanical assistance. I am sure you would have an understanding of this Cos but many overseas visitors vastly underestimate the importance of being prepared.

To me any aftermarket product that impairs any maintainence is off my radar. Just my two cents worth and I hope you find a solution to your seat needs. The ones your friend makes look great.
    Cos and Woody-

Just as a side note - the side covers can be removed with both of our Ultimate F6B seats - and it was engineered top to bottom by an Aussie

Best,

Dave

I have a Mustang on mine and I can remove the side covers without taking the seat off....got a Mustang because it lowered me to where I could flat foot....Had a Ultimate on my Vstar....best seat I ever owened as far as comfort......The Mustang is a PITA to install... try the tapered seat bolts