Windshield Wrap Mod
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windshield Wrap Mod

Windshield Wrap Mod

I love my Clearview windshield but I don't like that I can see my Ridersan mirror through it from the front of the bike; aesthetically speaking it looks sloppy. This windshield came with some wrap applied on the indside of it but it isn't high enough to hide the Riderscan... so I pulled it off and re-installed my own wrap that is high enough.

I used 3M MATTE Black 1080 Series wrap... and now I have more of a custom finished look

Very Nice...I like it...Great ideal....

Please show it installed...
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Thanks Steve!

Visibility of the ground in front of the bike is diminished somewhat but it hasn't been a problem; I can still see plenty good.

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    Thanks Steve!

Visibility of the ground in front of the bike is diminished somewhat but it hasn't been a problem; I can still see plenty good.

Good job. I see your Attack Cat also.
    Deer Slayer
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it.

I used 3M MATTE Black 1080 Series wrap... and now I have more of a custom finished look

]
    Where did you buy this stuff? Looks good. I've never used anything like it. I assume that's a heatgun, you weren't just drying your hair! Also, does the Riderscan work? I assume it does or you wouldn't have gone to this trouble. That's something else I might have to put on my list. I had a shield that I tried to achieve the same look, using plasti coat. it was a disaster.

Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's just a regular ol hair dryer; just a little bit of heat is all it takes to stretch this stuff over the windshield curves. The only thing I don't like is the color isn't a very deep black... it's more of a dark grey. But once its installed it look very deep black when its behind the shield tint.

As for the Riderscan, I couldn't see riding without one. Love it. It really does give a 180 degree view; I'm able to watch people in cars stopped beside me at lights without having to turn my head.

Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's just a regular ol hair dryer; just a little bit of heat is all it takes to stretch this stuff over the windshield curves. The only thing I don't like is the color isn't a very deep black... it's more of a dark grey. But once its installed it look very deep black when its behind the shield tint.

As for the Riderscan, I couldn't see riding without one. Love it. It really does give a 180 degree view; I'm able to watch people in cars stopped beside me at lights without having to turn my head.
    I ordered a Riderscan today. Did you make a template to get the curve right? I'm talking about the top of the material

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    I ordered a Riderscan today. Did you make a template to get the curve right? I'm talking about the top of the material
    Nice! I hope you like it as much as I do.

I didn't make a template... but I think I understand what your concern is; it's incredibly difficult to get the top edge of the wrap perfectly level and even from one side of the windshield to the other. I used the "string" method to check for even-ness. I put a string through the center mounting hole of the windshield with a big washer on the end so the string could be pulled tight.

The blue tape in the pics have pen marks on them that indicate mounting locations of the Riderscan feet. Once I got the Riderscan feet perfectly even between the left and right sides of the windshield, I pulled the string tight and marked the left foot at the precise height that I wanted. I also marked the string so that I knew what length was used.

Pulling the string tight again, I marked the height of the right foot using the same string length. Now that you have left and right markers that were made using the exact same length of string, that means this should be a perfectly level line from left to right across the windshield.

" Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    You might have to do some engineering and make some longer "legs", so that it sticks out farther and past the dash, where you could drop the bottom edge of the mirror just below the edge of the dash. Just have to get one and figure it out. But I'll bet you can come up with something.