How big of a deal is ABS? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How big of a deal is ABS?

Its like insurance, you dont need it, until you need it.
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Wish the F6B had it, ok with it tho'

As evidenced in the aforementioned videos ABS is way better than separate front and rear brakes but the F6B has linked brakes that really work! Every time this subject comes up I ask the same question and so far no one has spoken up: Has anyone on this forum ever locked up a front or rear brake on their F6 and if so what were the conditions?

I only have 30,000 miles on my F6 so far but have had to haul it down quick on the freeway from 85 mph to stop a couple times. Never locked em up.

I hit the back legs of a deer this fall. I grabbed a fist full of brakes and stood on the rear brake. I locked the rear up momentarily on dry pavement. The bike maintained a straight line of travel.no instability whatsoever. I have never owned a bike with ABS, so I can't make a judgement whether or not that would have made a difference. This bike has great brakes and my momentum had me up on the tank while braking hard!

I would have thought all the B's would have ABS.
    Although you cannot get the Deluxe model of the F6B in Australia, all our standard models come with ABS and Dual CBS (Linked braking system).

Cheers

Chris

There is a difference between Linked Brakes and ABS. Linked Brakes are obviously as described , with the front brake partially activating the rear and vice verse . ABS stops the brakes from locking up under extreme pressure and/or slippery or unstable surfaces. It will automatically ease up pressure to the brakes if the wheel locks up and then reapply. It does this in fractions of a second and much quicker than nearly all people can do manually. It feels like a pulse through the lever and pedal. On a standard brake system , if the front locks up, you need to release and then reapply the brakes. With ABS , you just keep squeezing.

I don't know guys, all I see in these videos is incorrect braking techniques on the non ABS bike. Once you discover your tires are locked up you would release and reapply. In the case, of these videos the guy is applying full force to lock up the tires and never releases the brakes. Good riders know how to apply braking even on wet roads. Most of us know from years of experience that appling varying force during the sequence of stopping is the key to preventing tire lock up.
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

Quote Originally Posted by Fla_rider View Post
    I don't know guys, all I see in these videos is incorrect braking techniques on the non ABS bike. Once you discover your tires are locked up you would release and reapply. In the case, of these videos the guy is applying full force to lock up the tires and never releases the brakes. Good riders know how to apply braking even on wet roads. Most of us know from years of experience that appling varying force during the sequence of stopping is the key to preventing tire lock up.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Fla_rider View Post
    To me, ABS is most needed for riders that don't have the knowledge or experience to use brakes properly, especially in a panic stop situation. ABS is designed for someone to apply full braking without even thinking about modulating the brakes. Many experienced riders, and definitely those with racing experience, know how to use front and rear brakes and can do that without any panic whatsoever. In fact, I would venture to say that ABS could be detrimental to an experienced rider. I'll give you a personal example...driving my Ford Explorer with ABS years ago, I took an exit ramp following a lady driving a minivan. It had a yield at the end of the ramp. The lady stopped and so did I. As she started off, I started off too while glancing back to check oncoming traffic. There was no oncoming traffic but as I looked back forward the lady had stopped again for no known reason. I hit the brakes while attempting to modulate the brakes so as not to lock them up. I almost stopped in time but not quite. Of course, I was charged with the accident. Now, if I had remembered that I had ABS brakes, I possibly could have simply stomped on the brakes and stopped in time...maybe so, maybe not. For us "old school" guys, there is some re-learning to do when we go to ABS. I'm just sayin'
    Ken (Hornblower)