How big of a deal is ABS? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How big of a deal is ABS?

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    To me, ABS is most needed for riders that don't have the knowledge or experience to use brakes properly, especially in a panic stop situation. ABS is designed for someone to apply full braking without even thinking about modulating the brakes. Many experienced riders, and definitely those with racing experience, know how to use front and rear brakes and can do that without any panic whatsoever. In fact, I would venture to say that ABS could be detrimental to an experienced rider. I'll give you a personal example...driving my Ford Explorer with ABS years ago, I took an exit ramp following a lady driving a minivan. It had a yield at the end of the ramp. The lady stopped and so did I. As she started off, I started off too while glancing back to check oncoming traffic. There was no oncoming traffic but as I looked back forward the lady had stopped again for no known reason. I hit the brakes while attempting to modulate the brakes so as not to lock them up. I almost stopped in time but not quite. Of course, I was charged with the accident. Now, if I had remembered that I had ABS brakes, I possibly could have simply stomped on the brakes and stopped in time...maybe so, maybe not. For us "old school" guys, there is some re-learning to do when we go to ABS. I'm just sayin'
    You too? I topped a hill several years ago, on the interstate only to find traffic at a dead stop. I bounced off of an 18 wheeler. He looked in the rear view, waved and kept going. Not me, I crushed my radiator. All I remember is thinking, why won't my truck stop? All the while I could hear the ABS working. No thanks, don't want it, don't need it.

I had ABS on my previous ride but I never experienced it kicked in in 4 years (58,000miles).

When I bought my '14 F6B, lack of ABS was NOT a big deal at all.....

I noticed on the video, the test rider just kept applying the full brake. even after he locked the wheels..... It's like the worst case scenario.

Don't get me wrong, I think ABS is a great insurance JUST IN CASE, but it didn't keep me away from buying my F6B just because it wasn't equipped with ABS.

Heck, none of the bikes I've owned (except for the last one) didn't have ABS....

ABS is one of the greatest technological advances in transportation in the last 50 years.

The only reason Honda didn't include it was to save $$$. They could have at least offered it as an option.

They also could also have added it along with a switch to turn it off if you don't want to use it.

Even a lot of race bikes today have it, because it's so useful.

If you don't agree, I hope that chrome helps you with your next panic stop.
    Re-tired, or Re-tard. Depends on your attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by motoman View Post
    The only reason Honda didn't include it was to save $$$. :

I disagree.

Honda installs ABS as standard equipment on all F6B's sold in Canada, Australia, and Europe.
    Why not the US?
    Because the distributors in each region, in your case Honda USA, tell the factory what features they want included on their bikes for each regional market. American owners are more conservative and don't take well to new technology. Just ask HD about that. Did you know that F6B's in Europe come standard not only with ABS and cruise, but also the electric reverse?

If owners bitch long and hard enough to their dealers, who in turn pass on those complaints to Honda USA, you will likely see ABS on the American F6B's in the future.

BTW, having had ABS on my 4 wheeled vehicles since the early 2000's and having ABS on my last bike, I wouldn't want a vehicle without it.
    Yes, the expert drivers out there can likely modulate their non-ABS brakes in a skid situation to avoid lockup and high siding, but for the vast majority of riders who do not possess racing skills and reaction times, myself included, ABS will save you from high siding in a panic braking situation.

After reading all, and seeing the videos . . . . . . If and when I get a new scoot it will have ABS if offered. JUST SAY'IN, FOR THAT EMERGENCY SITUATION THAT COULD HAPPEN !

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    I disagree.

Honda installs ABS as standard equipment on all F6B's sold in Canada, Australia, and Europe.
    Why not the US?
    Because the distributors in each region, in your case Honda USA, tell the factory what features they want included on their bikes for each regional market. American owners are more conservative and don't take well to new technology. Just ask HD about that. Did you know that F6B's in Europe come standard not only with ABS and cruise, but also the electric reverse?

If owners bitch long and hard enough to their dealers, who in turn pass on those complaints to Honda USA, you will likely see ABS on the American F6B's in the future.

BTW, having had ABS on my 4 wheeled vehicles since the early 2000's and having ABS on my last bike, I wouldn't want a vehicle without it.
    Yes, the expert drivers out there can likely modulate their non-ABS brakes in a skid situation to avoid lockup and high siding, but for the vast majority of riders who do not possess racing skills and reaction times, myself included, ABS will save you from high siding in a panic braking situation.
    If you can find an old issue of Crusier Magazine from Spring of 2013, I thru mine out, you will find that the "main" reason Honda did not include ABS on USA bound F6B's was to keep it at a definite "price point" below $20,000 or so...It had nothing do to with dealer or customer requests, but a factory ordered decision by Honda management to keep the price in line with what they intended to do...This was also the case with Cruise and reverse options...Yes I know the 2015 bike has changed, but so has the base prices...You will not see an F6B in the US with ABS, Cruise, Reverse, etc..anytime soon for $20,000......Ride safe

So to recap....in all the accumulated miles of all the forum members only one momentarily locked up a rear brake??? If so the linked brakes work pretty darn good or we are all just experts or lucky souls!

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    I disagree.

Why not the US?

You might disagree with everything , but if we talking about safety , visibility is equally important . So , why US Goldwing riders don't get bikes equipped with wiper blades on the windshields , like it's mandatory in Japan ? F6B is the poorer version of GL1800 and its price has been adjusted for the favor of those , who simply do not need so many options .

[QUOTE=bigbird;57170]I disagree.

Just ask HD about that. Did you know that F6B's in Europe come standard not only with ABS and cruise, but also the electric reverse?

My HD Streetglide had abs in 09 and there were a few times when it came in handy. Fish tailing a bagger is no fun, tho the system they used didn't work when the bike was leaned.
    Brakes on the Honda, work much better than the SG, more progressive, smoother and controlable, no real comparison in that respect.
    ss^,
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by 1951vbs View Post
    So to recap....in all the accumulated miles of all the forum members only one momentarily locked up a rear brake??? If so the linked brakes work pretty darn good or we are all just experts or lucky souls!
    Very interesting point. It doesn't seem that we're hearing from anyone who has had a problem as a result of locking up. We're not even hearing much of anyone locking up at all.
    Maybe because it just doesn't happen too frequently anyway, in the great scheme of things?
    Or maybe some of us don't like to admit to ever locking up?
    Maybe it has something to do with the experience level of the average F6B rider? (I doubt that this is a first bike for too many people.)
    Could the linked braking system possibly be so effective that it actually results in a very low likelihood of ever locking up?