Smells like a gasoline. Leak

Thread: Smells like a gasoline. Leak

Smells like a gasoline. Leak

My new 2014 smells like gasoline when ever I park it in my garage I have check under the bike for any signs , but nothing. just had the bike in for its 600 mile. Oil Change and inspection The dealer noted no issues. Has any one else noticed this?

Quote Originally Posted by GregS View Post
    My new 2014 smells like gasoline when ever I park it in my garage I have check under the bike for any signs , but nothing. just had the bike in for its 600 mile. Oil Change and inspection The dealer noted no issues. Has any one else noticed this?
    Just out of curiosity, have you checked your gas cap? I was out on a ride once, and thought I kept getting wiff of gas every once in awhile. Turned out that at the last stop for gas, I had just left the cap sitting under the locking cover.

One of the things to check on the first scheduled maintenance is a fuel line, to make sure it's not rubbing or wearing. If there is a pinhole, the gas could be evaporating on the hot surfaces when the engine is hot thereby expanding the pinhole, and then closing when things get cold. I'd check the gas cap first though.....
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Fuel smell

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    One of the things to check on the first scheduled maintenance is a fuel line, to make sure it's not rubbing or wearing. If there is a pinhole, the gas could be evaporating on the hot surfaces when the engine is hot thereby expanding the pinhole, and then closing when things get cold. I'd check the gas cap first though.....
    Thanks. I will.

Vapor recovery system...

These things use a vapor recovery system to capture vented gas vapors after shutdown that the fuel tank may otherwise release. In brief, the "vent" is in the front of the bike, by the oil filter. It's a charcoal can with some valving to purge itself under trailing throttle. Not the best system, but it's light and doesn't impact performance. BUT.... park the bike full of gas and as it expands actual liquid gas can get pushed into the charcoal can and even dribble out. This is practically guaranteed to happen if you really top it up all the way. Not going to hurt anything (except for the usual spilled fuel precautions), but it will then take FOREVER for the charcoal can to purge itself and you may end up smelling fuel vapors for quite a while. Sniff around the chin "spoiler"; I bet you will trace the vapors back to the overflow discharge hose off the carbon can...

Quote Originally Posted by GregS View Post
    ... just had the bike in for its 600 mile. Oil Change and inspection The dealer noted no issues. Has any one else noticed this?
    Just wondering why you took the bike in at 600 miles for an oil change? The first scheduled oil change isn't due for 4K miles. The dealer I bought my F6B from said 800 miles, but a more trusted dealer and my owners manual both agree with the 4000 mile mark.

Many of us that ride bikes, and have done so for years, seem to be a little "anal" about oil change frequencies...I know as I am one of them...Changed my F6B oil first time myself at 800 miles and plan to change it about every 3/4000 miles in the future just cause I feel better..I know what the manual/manufacturer indicates, and they are probably right, about the 4000 mile thing...Modern oils are much improved, as are engine tolerances, but old habits are sometimes hard to change..BTW, I do follow the oil change guides on my cars to a point, but change oil when I feel they need it....Been driving cars and riding bikes since 1954 and never had an engine related problem due to oil change issues....Ride safe and as they say "to each his own"......

Mine said first service at 1000kms (600 miles )

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_A View Post
    These things use a vapor recovery system to capture vented gas vapors after shutdown that the fuel tank may otherwise release. In brief, the "vent" is in the front of the bike, by the oil filter. It's a charcoal can with some valving to purge itself under trailing throttle. Not the best system, but it's light and doesn't impact performance. BUT.... park the bike full of gas and as it expands actual liquid gas can get pushed into the charcoal can and even dribble out. This is practically guaranteed to happen if you really top it up all the way. Not going to hurt anything (except for the usual spilled fuel precautions), but it will then take FOREVER for the charcoal can to purge itself and you may end up smelling fuel vapors for quite a while. Sniff around the chin "spoiler"; I bet you will trace the vapors back to the overflow discharge hose off the carbon can...
    +1

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/