Plan on picking F6B in F150 6.5 bed of pickup, thoughts?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plan on picking F6B in F150 6.5 bed of pickup, thoughts?

Plan on picking F6B in F150 6.5 bed of pickup, thoughts?

I have a 2013 F150 with a 6.5 foot bed, I am planning on picking it up using my truck and putting it in the bed. I will have a full sheet of 3/4 plywood to balance weight with the tailgate. I have a wheel chock in the front. At the Honda dealer, they have ramps. Anyone think there will be any issues with my tailgate? weight wise while pushing or driving it up? thoughts? thanks Bob

shooter
    With the plywood you should be OK. The B is about 9 ft long. Cables on the F150 tailgate will hold the B no prob. My concern would be the height of the tailgate vs the length of the ramps. Why not ride it home?

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    With the plywood you should be OK. The B is about 9 ft long. Cables on the F150 tailgate will hold the B no prob. My concern would be the height of the tailgate vs the length of the ramps. Why not ride it home?
    Picking up on the way home from Iowa on 12/26, 1-3 inches of snow calling...... AND 700 miles.....And will have my son.....and lots of Christmas presents.

I'd rent/borrow a trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by BobinMich View Post
    I have a 2013 F150 with a 6.5 foot bed, I am planning on picking it up using my truck and putting it in the bed. I will have a full sheet of 3/4 plywood to balance weight with the tailgate. I have a wheel chock in the front. At the Honda dealer, they have ramps. Anyone think there will be any issues with my tailgate? weight wise while pushing or driving it up? thoughts? thanks Bob

If it was me I would buy, borrow or rent a trailer for the drive down to the dealer or rent a U-Haul trailer at the dealer location and do a one way haul with the bike on the trailer. The problem with a large motorcycle on the back of a short bed pick-up is getting it on and off. Unless you have a very long ramp you run the risk of high centering the bike when it is in transition with one wheel on the ramp and the other on the truck. This is an 840 lb machine that once it starts moving will be hard to control if it starts moving in the wrong direction. Plus, you would need an extra wide ramp to allow you to be able to put both feet down as you ride the bike up and down the ramp. Your call but I wouldn't risk the chance for a disaster.
    Good luck and enjoy your new ride.

X

Quote Originally Posted by BobinMich View Post
    I am going to strongly echo what has already been said. Not that it can't be done, but man the idea of getting this bike on and off a truck bed scares me. I have seen too many of such videos on You Tube where it went wrong. Like mentioned, there is no saving it if things don't quite go as you want. Please rent or borrow a trailer.

trailer no doubt

$32.95...all you need is 6 tie down ratchet straps !!!!

http://www.uhaul.com/Locations/Trail...-48060/003414/

A 5' x 9' Utility Trailer with Ramp has been added to your cart.

Save your back! Hire a Moving Helper in your area to load your equipment.
    Your Shopping Cart

Click the trash can to remove items from your cart.

Rental Equipment Remove
    Edit 5' x 9' Utility Trailer with Ramp $24.95
    Edit Damage coverage
    SafeTow®
    $8.00
    Edit Rental Dollies/Pads
    None selected $0.00
    Edit Pick up: 12/27/2014 9:00 AM
    Solo Storage
    6 hour rental
    Equipment subtotal: $32.95
    Due in store
    Due today: $0.00

All rates are in US dollars and do not include sales tax or shipping unless otherwise noted.
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I'm not too concerned with riding it up/down the ramp. I have ridden Harley Ultra Classics UP and down a ramp into a pickup bed...but that was when I had my 8' box F250 and did not have the tailgate on. The TAILGATE issue is what I am worried about. I DO have a kendon trailer, actually 2 of them, both the single and double versions....but I am going to NW Iowa for Christmas and really didn't want to haul an empty trailer out there and then to Waukon (900 miles empty total) if I didn't have to.....I do use an 8' ramp, 4 foot wide aluminum, but they say they have one there. I would verify their ramp size before leaving my ramp home. Whenever you have a trailer behind you, there is always an extra risk there as well.

Plus with the kendon....the poor F6B will get a LOT DIRTIER! much lower to the ground and gets wheel splatter from the tow vehicle.

No big deal. I've done what you're suggesting many times. The trick is to park the truck with the front on a slight incline. I once took a Harley Road King in a 1/2 ton Ford Ranger from Orlando to Milwaukee and back without any problem. Trailers are nice, but they too have drawbacks.