f6b speaker and amp upgrade
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: f6b speaker and amp upgrade

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Any updated progress picts ?

TIA
    I can say, after modifying the grill for the tweeters AND riping off the case for the tweeters, the 6501 mm's woofers do NOT fit. use the 5 1/4. Now I have to get creative. I have the polk tweeters with polk x-over wiht stock woofers. im going on a trip to the smokies.

please no one else try to use the 6.5 polks. they do NOT fit.

grrr

Quote Originally Posted by pressorv View Post
    I can say, after modifying the grill for the tweeters AND riping off the case for the tweeters, the 6501 mm's woofers do NOT fit. use the 5 1/4. Now I have to get creative. I have the polk tweeters with polk x-over wiht stock woofers. im going on a trip to the smokies.

please no one else try to use the 6.5 polks. they do NOT fit.

grrr
    You have to trim the 6.5" polk bezels. Others have done it successfully on both F6B's and Wings.

6.5" Polks can be made to fit.
    I currently have a great sounding pair of DXI 651 Polks. It is a deliberate process but not hard or time consuming. Just detail work.
    Make a template out of either laying the oem on the 6.5, trace the outline or build a cardboard template.
    2 small areas on both speakers needing trimmed.
    The MMs will also fit with modifying them. 20150228_103206.jpg
    Jim
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

I have the 6.5" in on mine.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Is there a huge difference in sound quality between the Polk 6.5's and the stock speakers when using only the stock amp, or is it a must to upgrade the amp also. The audio is the only thing disappointing to me about the F6B.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg O View Post
    Is there a huge difference in sound quality between the Polk 6.5's and the stock speakers when using only the stock amp, or is it a must to upgrade the amp also. The audio is the only thing disappointing to me about the F6B.
    Without upgrading the amp, you'd be better off with stock or maybe the J&M speakers. IMHO
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    Without upgrading the amp, you'd be better off with stock or maybe the J&M speakers. IMHO
    Agreed,
    The OEM isn't bad. An upgraded set will allow you a bit better sound at high volume. Worth the upgrade, toss up.
    Without a significant power increase provided by an aftermarket amp, I'd say use a taller windscreen with the oem system. I can also say my stereo with amp and quality speakers is exponentially better in sound quality and volume.
    My neighbors say they hear a rock concert coming and going blocks away when I ride the black bike...

I have the latest and greatest JM speakers on my street glide. Not so much...
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

You have to trim the 6.5" polk bezels. Others have done it successfully on both F6B's and Wings.
    They bottom out at least a 1/2" if not more, and it seemed they were way to big to fit in the holes even if somehow you could cut up the speaker cradle.

Does anyone have some pics or more guidance? I bought the 5 1/4, but would much rather get the 6.5 working. It seemed I would have to really cut up the speaker beyond useable to make it fit.

We are both talking about the Polk 6.5 MM 6501 component series, right?

Quote Originally Posted by pressorv View Post
    They bottom out at least a 1/2" if not more, and it seemed they were way to big to fit in the holes even if somehow you could cut up the speaker cradle.

Does anyone have some pics or more guidance? I bought the 5 1/4, but would much rather get the 6.5 working. It seemed I would have to really cut up the speaker beyond useable to make it fit.

We are both talking about the Polk 6.5 MM 6501 component series, right?
    The Polk 6.5's should come with spacers that rise the speaker a bit so they don't bottom out. Both the spacers and speaker bezels need to be trimmed. There are a few threads here about it.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?5...ight=polk+trim

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?4...t=Thatonebiker

The Polk 6.5's should come with spacers that rise the speaker a bit so they don't bottom out. Both the spacers and speaker bezels need to be trimmed. There are a few threads here about it.

Ok, thank you for the post. I can see now I just need to see the differences between the mm651 and the mm6501, if you have any knowledge to share, much appreciated.

thanks!

----------------original post below---------------------
    http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?5...ight=polk+trim

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?4...t=Thatonebiker

Thanks, the second thread I had read, the first was new. thanks! I'm still confused.. So use the riser that comes with it, and trim what exactly? the riser I read they used the old speaker to trim and that was too much. Ok, so what needs cut off it to fit?

I can make a template of the opening on the bike and then overlay the riser. It seemed someone was saying you needed another 1/8" additional? would a ABS suffice? Or anther way to ask this, what EXACTLY needs cut off the speaker itself? I'm nervous about ruining the integrity of it.. does anyone have photos, or can use the photos of the other thread with the old a new speakers side by side, explain or draw what needs trimmed where? is is JUST the depth that needs trimmed?

Sorry for the confusing questions. I was just laid off and I am scrambling to get medical coverage, return tons of things that I can so I can eat. These speakers are already tweaked tweeters, so they can't be returned. i HAVE to have this working so I have something good to look forward to.

thanks in advance, and sorry for asking for more of your knowledge / experience. I will post this on this other thread