How big of a deal is ABS? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: How big of a deal is ABS?

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    Hmmm..... The anti lock braking concept was developed early on on the last century, but I'm fairly certain it wasn't BMW. Why would Honda include this feature for some countries but not others? Strictly economics as others have said here already.

If ABS wasn't beneficial to the safety and well being of the rider or to put it another way, if it was likely to cause harm to the rider, regulatory bodies and the manufacturers wouldn't approve it or include it as a feature/option.

I've never met anyone that is such a skillful a rider (although many think they are) as to not need technology to help them out in a jam once in a while. lol...
    FIRST CONCEPT :
    ABS was first developed for aircraft use in 1929 by the French automobile and aircraft pioneer Gabriel Voisin , but was very unreliable and couldn't be used in production of the cars , NOR MOTORCYCLES

ANTISKID ( which is not ABS ) :
    By the early 1950s, the Dunlop Maxaret anti-skid system was in widespread aviation use in the UK, with aircraft such as the Avro Vulcan and Handley Page Victor, Vickers Viscount, Vickers Valiant, English Electric Lightning, de Havilland Comet 2c, de Havilland Sea Vixen, and later aircraft, such as the Vickers VC10, Hawker Siddeley Trident, Hawker Siddeley 125, Hawker Siddeley HS 748 and derived British Aerospace ATP. - STILL NOT MOTORCYCLES

FIRST CARS WITH ABS :
    Chrysler, together with the Bendix Corporation, introduced a computerized, three-channel, four-sensor all-wheel[7] ABS called "Sure Brake" for its 1971 Imperial.[8] It was available for several years thereafter, functioned as intended, and proved reliable. In 1970, Ford added an antilock braking system called "Sure-track" to the rear wheels of Lincoln Continentals as an option;[9] it became standard in 1971.[10] In 1971, General Motors introduced the "Trackmaster" rear-wheel only[11] ABS as an option on their rear-wheel drive Cadillac models[12][13] and the Oldsmobile Toronado.[14] In the same year, Nissan offered an EAL (Electro Anti-lock System) as an option on the Nissan President, which became Japan's first electronic ABS.

BMW PIONEERED ABS IN MOTORCYCLES FIRST :
    After almost one decade of failures , in 1988, BMW fitted its new K 100 with Anti-lock Braking System, more commonly known in acronym form as ABS. In fact, the decision regarding the introduction of ABS had been taken much earlier. A lot of research had been done already, as development had started in the early 1980s. Finally the system was ready for production in 1988 and this signalled the start of a new era in motorcycle braking technology. Once again, BMW led the way in pioneering technology – and still does today. BMW Motorrad recently announced its entire 2013 model range would feature ABS.

Has anyone locked up the linked brakes yet on their F6B?

Quote Originally Posted by 1951vbs View Post
    Has anyone locked up the linked brakes yet on their F6B?
    I'd say no one in this discussion cares to answer your question.

One gent said he locked up the rear tire.

I thought I applied more than enough pressure to lock up the tires, but they didn't. So much so I was wondering if I actually had ABS somehow. (I didn't know ABS was not in the US at the time.)
    I have subsequently tried to lock up the rear wheel a few times "for training purposes" but the bike keeps stopping before that happens.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    I'd say no one in this discussion cares to answer your question.
    I can tell you that it is possible to lock up the front wheel. In a situation where a car turned in front of me, I locked up the front wheel in an emergency stop to keep from hitting the car. I felt it start to wash out, released the brake and reapplied. I didn't hit the car or crash. Would ABS have kept it from skidding? Without a doubt. Would it have kept me from hitting the car while keeping me from skidding? I have my doubts. Do any of you practice emergency stops? I do, along with other maneuvers. No amount of automation can protect you if you don't protect yourself thru practice.

Do any of you practice emergency stops?

I do, every once in a while. I also try to practice different scenarios on dirt roads to try to see what would happen under different circumstances.(without the wife, of course!)
    When that deer ran in front of me, I braked as hard as I could. When I felt the rear lock up, I let off a little and gave her more again. This all happened in probably 2 seconds, but practicing trains you to respond in an instant. If I had ABS, I believe I would have been into her farther and might have had a different outcome.
    Believe me, I was ON the tank from my body weight wanting to keep going. This bike stops VERY well !

Yes. I do practice emergency stopping. And figure 8s. And forcing my inside elbow down in turns to get the most lean angle. And emergency swerving. And rapid acceleration with a quick stop, simulating getting out of someone's way if I'm stopped and they aren't going to get stopped in time.

Although now that hiflyer said he got the front to lock up, I need to get a bit more aggressive and find that point.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post

Although now that hiflyer said he got the front to lock up, I need to get a bit more aggressive and find that point.
    It's that point, within a millisecond, after the "OH SH##!!" moment.

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    It's that point, within a millisecond, after the "OH SH##!!" moment.
    ...copy all. And replicating that moment in a training environment will not be easy.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce