Home Brewed Luggage Rack
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Brewed Luggage Rack

Home Brewed Luggage Rack

Several members have already devised a few Luggage Racks in lieu of using the OEM rack, which by the way has a 6 pound capacity rating Not wanting to exceed that weight, by very much, I decided to keep my creation small. Small rack, small load

I like working with vinyl as it's easy to cut, mill, drill etc. In addition it's rather durable and usually gives a nice appearing finished product. I choose a Kitchen District 9.5"x15"x3/8" Cutting Board which I found at Target for $13.00. The board has some sliver flake> Guess I may give the finished rack a coat or two of PlastiDip.

Using my table saw for sizing, I then used my drill press, spade and router bits to give the board some character If this proto works as planned, I may move up to a slightly larger board.

Here's some pics of the project!

100_0810.jpg100_0811.jpg100_0818.jpg100_0817.jpg100_0816.jpg

For $13.00 and a little work with the garage power tools you can't beat that

That looks great, nice work!

Very nice work Bob!
    Let it be known and let it be written, this is the best bike I've ever owned, and I ain't shittin!

When I saw 6 pound limit on the Honda site I almost blew beer out my nose. Who in the world would ever pack only 6 pounds worth of stuff?? Some luggage weighs six pounds with nothing in it! I just did about 800 miles over the weekend with my large camlebak loaded to the seams and bungeed it to the back seat-rest and handles, it weighed about 25-30 pounds. No problems at all, If riding two-up is not a concern for you, go with a seat bag, much more practical than 6 pounds. *end rant*
    Still Wingman after the site crash!

Seat Bag

Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    When I saw 6 pound limit on the Honda site I almost blew beer out my nose. Who in the world would ever pack only 6 pounds worth of stuff?? Some luggage weighs six pounds with nothing in it! I just did about 800 miles over the weekend with my large camlebak loaded to the seams and bungeed it to the back seat-rest and handles, it weighed about 25-30 pounds. No problems at all, If riding two-up is not a concern for you, go with a seat bag, much more practical than 6 pounds. *end rant*
    I ride solo all the time! I have a "Cruiser Bag" which always occupies the rear portion of my seat. I wanted the rack to carry my sleeping bag which is bulky but light. Using my small stretch net I can quickly secure the S bag to the rack.

The Cruiser Bag is constructed of 13" diameter PVC Pipe and covered in vinyl. Between my saddle bags, the rack and the C Bag, I should be able to take the kitchen sink when I travel

The Cruiser Bag.

100_0752.jpg

Cool

Nice lookin rack...round the back corners to mimic the F6 and you wil have something there !!!

I had approx 20# on my stock rack and it never complained...not sure where the weight rating comes from...it is bolted on top of the frame ?
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Luggage Rack Update

Still playing around with my Homed Brewed Luggage Rack. Spent a hour at a friends shop and used his engine lathe to turn the support spools for the rack. Had a piece to 7/8" aluminum round stock which I drilled and parted to size. The offset in height between the front and rear backrest mounting holes is 5/8". Made two spools 1 1/8" long for the front and two 1 3/4" long for the rear. Those lengths put the rack on a even plane. Im going to paint the spools satin black which will closely match the backrest bracket.

A few pics

100_0820.jpg100_0825.jpg100_0823.jpg100_0821.jpg100_0822.jpg

Luggage Rack Update

Finally finished my rack. Took some time getting the proper material but the wait was worth it. The original was made from a cutting board and had silver fleck and was smaller than I wanted. The new material is solid black and the blank was 12" x 18" which allowed for a larger rack. The material is commercial 7/16" black vinyl which is both durable and weather resistant. Used my hand saw, drill press with 3/4" and 1" spades bits to shape and drill the material. A simple task IMHO.

Some pics of the original and new rack

100_0860.jpg100_0859.jpg100_0863.jpg100_0866.jpg100_0867.jpg

Bob - good looking platform. I did a similar board ; but mounted it on top of the small factory rack. By the way , I stood on the factory rack with all my 190 lbs. ;it didn't even try to break. I had to know before we left on our road trip. We strapped at least 30 lbs. on it for 3976 miles.