Darkside - Front tire
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Darkside - Front tire

Darkside - Front tire

19,500 miles and I'm getting ready for a new front tire. It will be... a rear tire. It looks like 2 popular choices for the GW 1800 are:
    BT 45 Battle Ax 130/70H-18. Some claim it to be "smooth and quiet".
    Michelin Pilot Activ 130/70-18. Comments include "noisy but last a long time".

I would appreciate your suggestions/comments on the selection of a darkside front tire.

Now for the mounting direction of the tire. I have read the dissertations on why to mount it in reverse. What I'm most interested in is your experience and why you prefer to run your darkside front in reverse rotation or not.

Dana beads work great on my run flat rear tire. I have just discovered this ride on tire balancer/sealant:
    http://www.amazon.com/Ride-On-Tire-B...n+tire+sealant

Any comments/suggestions about this product - darkside or not? I'm thinking of using it on the front.
    II Kings 9:20...and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously. A.K.J.V.

Bridgestone Potenza RFT 195/55-R16
    BT45R 130/70-18

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    What are Dana beads?

Dyna Beads

I'm sure he meant Dyna Beads.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.php

I have been using them for years in my motorcycle tires. You CANNOT use them with any kind of fix a flat products that contains a liquid sealant.

BT45

I mounted a Battlax BT45 at 16.5K miles and currently have 10+K miles on the tire. In retrospect I made the right choice for my 6. The tire show barely any signs of wear. Mounted the tire in the same direction as the OEM Stone and run it at 41psi. I encountered a low speed vibration when the tire was first installed and it abated after 300 miles. I attributed the vibration to the wide staggering of the centerline sipe/grove. Once the sharp edges of the sipes softened from initial wear the vib was gone.

I'm really pleased with the performance of the Ax! It has a higher cross section radius than the OEM Stone and carves the corners better

Here's my original post on the topic!

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?2...ront-Tire-Time

Regarding balancing, I use the "old school method" of static with zinc weights for my cycle tires. Just had my motorhome tires treated with RideOn. It's a combination sealer/balancer. Worked great on my 1160 mile trek for Pa. to Fl. this past fall! I may use it in the future on my bike tires.

[QUOTE=BubbaJePH;58792]I'm sure he meant Dyna Beads.

I've used Dyna beads myself in a couple different bikes,,, Believe I still might have some out in the garage,,,

Thought maybe Dana bead's were something different,,,

I JUST DON'T BELIEVE ...

What ? Am I reading correctly ? On the FRONT WHEEL ? It's extreme !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Limoles View Post
    The BT-45 is the exact diameter as the OEM Stone! It is also 1/4" narrower!. The tire is duel compound with the center having the harder rubber. Full blown Wings have been using the BT-45 with great results. Some trike owners reverse the tire direction when mounting. Not sure why? So good is its performance I ordered a second Ax to have on hand once the current one is shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Limoles View Post

This has been done for years !!!!!!!!!!!!! as stated on the GL1800 and Runes and many other bikes as well. Famous quote from an old friend." how does the tire know which end of the bike its on" ALWAYS mount in the correct direction !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Famous quote from an old friend." how does the tire know which end of the bike its on" !!!
    Well, even a blonde knows that!!! It either feels like cars are following it all the time, or it's wondering where all the bugs and wind are comin from!!!

Ha, yes. Dyna Beads not "Dana"

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaJePH View Post
    I'm sure he meant Dyna Beads

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.php

I have been using them for years in my motorcycle tires. You CANNOT use them with any kind of fix a flat products that contains a liquid sealant.
    I'll update my signature next. Thanks.

I was thinking of using the Ride-On TPS instead of the Dyna Beads. The TPS product claims include:
    "Ride-On TPS (Tire Protection System) is a tire balancer and sealant compound that evenly coats the inner surface of tires
    •This coating balances tires and makes them into self-sealing tires while you ride."

This sounds great if it works.
    II Kings 9:20...and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously. A.K.J.V.

Bridgestone Potenza RFT 195/55-R16
    BT45R 130/70-18