Darkside - Front tire - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Darkside - Front tire

Ax info

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    I mounted a Battlax BT45 at 16.5K miles and currently have 10+K miles on the tire. In retrospect I made the right choice for my 6. The tire show barely any signs of wear. Mounted the tire in the same direction as the OEM Stone and run it at 41psi. I encountered a low speed vibration when the tire was first installed and it abated after 300 miles. I attributed the vibration to the wide staggering of the centerline sipe/grove. Once the sharp edges of the sipes softened from initial wear the vib was gone.

I'm really pleased with the performance of the Ax! It has a higher cross section radius than the OEM Stone and carves the corners better

Here's my original post on the topic!

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?2...ront-Tire-Time

Regarding balancing, I use the "old school method" of static with zinc weights for my cycle tires. Just had my motorhome tires treated with RideOn. It's a combination sealer/balancer. Worked great on my 1160 mile trek for Pa. to Fl. this past fall! I may use it in the future on my bike tires.
    bob109, Just the feedback I was looking for. Your high frequency vibration that went away after break in was new to me. I did read about a GW 1800 rider that cured his low speed head shake after putting a rear tire up front. Mine has a slight 40 to 45 mph head shake. Maybe any new front tire, dark side or not helps this? Mine is not too worrisome, it's a mostly noticeable on deceleration. Thanks for documenting your Ax experience.
    II Kings 9:20...and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously. A.K.J.V.

Bridgestone Potenza RFT 195/55-R16
    BT45R 130/70-18

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    This has been done for years !!!!!!!!!!!!! as stated on the GL1800 and Runes and many other bikes as well. Famous quote from an old friend." how does the tire know which end of the bike its on" ALWAYS mount in the correct direction !!!
    It looks like everything what I've learned and know about tires is subjected to many "wise interpretations" based on "experience" and never ending "projects" . Maybe so ? But :

There are two main differences between a front and rear motorcycle tire. The rear tire is flatter while the front tire is more triangular in shape. The triangle shape of the front tire helps the bike enter and exit turns while the flatter shape of the rear tire gives the bike more stability. The second difference is that the forces generated on the rear vs. the front tire are reversed. The rear tire is subjected to acceleration forces while the front tire is subjected to the majority of the braking forces therefore the inner lacing of the tires are set up reversed.

Unlike car tires, motorcycle tires actually need to be different for the front and the rear of the bike. Front and rear motorcycle tires are specially engineered to accomplish specific goals depending on the location of the tire and its purpose in your bike’s overall performance.

Rear motorcycle tires are responsible for certain bike functions, such as:
    1 ) Power - The rear tire has a flatter profile, to provide the majority of the acceleration and stability for your bike, and wouldn’t handle as well if put on the front.
    2 ) Weight - The rear tire carries the majority of the weight of the bike, calling for special design elements to keep you upright & safe at all times.
    3 ) Lean - Since the rear tire does not turn, it is subject to the lean of the motorcycle. This requires a sturdier tire with a flatter profile to accommodate all bike's performance .

So , what's your choice - brothers ?

Quote Originally Posted by Limoles View Post
    It looks like everything what I've learned and know about tires is subjected to many "wise interpretations" based on "experience" and never ending "projects" . Maybe so ? But :

There are two main differences between a front and rear motorcycle tire. The rear tire is flatter while the front tire is more triangular in shape. The triangle shape of the front tire helps the bike enter and exit turns while the flatter shape of the rear tire gives the bike more stability. The second difference is that the forces generated on the rear vs. the front tire are reversed. The rear tire is subjected to acceleration forces while the front tire is subjected to the majority of the braking forces therefore the inner lacing of the tires are set up reversed.

Unlike car tires, motorcycle tires actually need to be different for the front and the rear of the bike. Front and rear motorcycle tires are specially engineered to accomplish specific goals depending on the location of the tire and its purpose in your bike’s overall performance.

Rear motorcycle tires are responsible for certain bike functions, such as:
    1 ) Power - The rear tire has a flatter profile, to provide the majority of the acceleration and stability for your bike, and wouldn’t handle as well if put on the front.
    2 ) Weight - The rear tire carries the majority of the weight of the bike, calling for special design elements to keep you upright & safe at all times.
    3 ) Lean - Since the rear tire does not turn, it is subject to the lean of the motorcycle. This requires a sturdier tire with a flatter profile to accommodate all bike's performance .

So , what's your choice - brothers ?
    I'm unsure where you glean all your info from but I'll tell you, you are dead wrong when stating the BT-45 is a wider tire because it is a rear tire. That depends on rim cross width i.e the Stock Stone doesn't have as pronounced cross-sectioned radius as does the BT-45 when mounter to the same rim, which makes the tire carve corners more crisper than the OEM Stone. I've personally performed physical measurement of both tires on the same OEM F6B rim. That's no guessing, assumptions or bull $hit. The Ax is 1/4" narrower than the Stone on the same rim. You simply can't compare tire size on assumptions. You'll even have variables on tire width unmounted and mounted and that will vary on tire manufacturer to tire manufacturer and rim widths.

I'm always amazed that folks fail to gather actual data on the items they have in their hand. All it takes is two straight edges and a ruler to capture correct tire width data. Hell. I even carry a thread depth gauge along with my air gauge. Maybe I'm annal, but facts are facts and bull $hit is bull $hit. I don't want to appear to be condescending but IMHO there's nothing that compares to personal experiences. If you have never tried it don't knock it! If you do try it and don't like it you can always return to you old ways and no one will "crucify" you

With 10K accumulated miles on my first Ax I can state from first hand experience that it outperforms the stock Stone in ride and cornering! That's my observation! So pleased with it performance I have a new one on hand waiting to be mounted when the existing one is shot!

Like the original Stone, the Ax, when worn out, will be subjected to a tire autopsy i.e crossed sectioned so I have actual data to compare with pics between the two tire casings. I'll gladly post and share the results with all

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    There will always be arguments/disagreements on this subject matter. No different than Politics or Religion,,,

Isn't it about time this forum had it's own Darkside section?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    There will always be arguments/disagreements on this subject matter. No different than Politics or Religion,,,

I would have to say that you may just be the guy to start a Darkside Session! Anyone who's as smooth on their feet (rumor) as you, can handle this task

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post

http://hondaf6b.com/forumdisplay.php?15-DARKSIDE

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Supporting Vendor Goldwing Werks's Avatar
    I have ran a BT45 on my Wing in the past. Good choice however you must pay attention to the tire pressure. I would run 39lbs at a minimum. Also run it it the direction intended. Dyna Beads are a another great option.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    I would have to say that you may just be the guy to start a Darkside Session! Anyone who's as smooth on their feet (rumor) as you, can handle this task

LMAO!!!

Well, I see I must have somehow taken a wrong turn somewhere,,, ended up in the part of town,,,,

Sorry,,, I must be going!!!

I'm unsure where you glean all your info from but I'll tell you, you are dead wrong when stating the BT-45 is a wider tire because it is a rear tire. That depends on rim cross width i.e the Stock Stone doesn't have as pronounced cross-sectioned radius as does the BT-45 when mounter to the same rim, which makes the tire carve corners more crisper than the OEM Stone. I've personally performed physical measurement of both tires on the same OEM F6B rim. That's no guessing, assumptions or bull $hit. The Ax is 1/4" narrower than the Stone on the same rim. You simply can't compare tire size on assumptions. You'll even have variables on tire width unmounted and mounted and that will vary on tire manufacturer to tire manufacturer and rim widths.

I'm always amazed that folks fail to gather actual data on the items they have in their hand. All it takes is two straight edges and a ruler to capture correct tire width data. Hell. I even carry a thread depth gauge along with my air gauge. Maybe I'm annal, but facts are facts and bull $hit is bull $hit. I don't want to appear to be condescending but IMHO there's nothing that compares to personal experiences. If you have never tried it don't knock it! If you do try it and don't like it you can always return to you old ways and no one will "crucify" you

With 10K accumulated miles on my first Ax I can state from first hand experience that it outperforms the stock Stone in ride and cornering! That's my observation! So pleased with it performance I have a new one on hand waiting to be mounted when the existing one is shot!

Like the original Stone, the Ax, when worn out, will be subjected to a tire autopsy i.e crossed sectioned so I have actual data to compare with pics between the two tire casings. I'll gladly post and share the results with all
    Beside POLITICS and RELIGIONS , people found THE SCIENCE , which discoveries might convince those who are interested in following it . For me , understanding technology and engineering is more valuable , than getting into the "dark side" discussions , which its velocity could throw me to THE DARK AGES .

https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00786279/document