Darkside - Front tire - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Darkside - Front tire

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Remember - "Never approach a Darksider with any ~Earthly~ Engineering or Scientific data,,, Their data was compiled on the Executor during a trip to a galaxy called 'Seatofmypantius'!!"

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...ex-d6tquni.jpg

OOps!!! Gotta go!!!

Limoles... most/all the data out there is on 350# motorcycles that can stop on a dime and give you change, bend over to what, we have helmet sliders now...we ride a 900# Heavy Cruiser ..... this has been done for years and no one has caught on fire yet !!!

Don't knock what you have never tried...short of that...move along, nothing to see here.....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

BT 45 with DARKSIDE patch

If I had only one upgrade that I could make on the F6B.....it would have to be to replace the stock tire with the BT 45. The improvement in handling, stability and just seat of pants feel is worth every penny. The added bonus of more miles between tire changes is just that an added bonus. Like others have said PSI is critical. I run 39 PSI with nitrogen in mine and always run with the arrow for correct rotation to sipe water. My brother owns the full wing and he also has thousands of hard miles on the BT 45. We ride throughout middle and east Tennessee, KY, NC and southern Indiana and very few miles are on the slab. Hard fast twisties are how we roll. Recently did the Dragons Tail in the rain and the BT 45 was amazing. Pictures of rooster tails and steam rolling off the front tire and brakes is pretty cool.

Also have the Yokohama on the rear so the Double Darkside patch goes on my vest. Finally gave up on the bogus paint issue and have the panels at the paint shop now for a custom two tone black and mango tango orange look. Will post some pics when we get it back together.

As many who follow this topic have previously stated.....until the chosen few extoll the virtues of "how it works" we will be stuck with the age old argument of why it will never work. Boy am I glad that the guy who sailed this way from Europe did not listen to Earth is flat folks.

Take care my friends. I would never try to convince anyone to use a rear tire on the front or a CT on the rear of their motorcycle. I am simply stating what works for me and "how it works".

If you spot a black and orange beast with orange rims....wave - I always do.
    Michael Neal

just curious Mike,

what version yokohama did you go with?

(i hear darkside calling me)
    What? Coffee ISN'T free?

Rode-map

BT 45

"Like others have said PSI is critical. I run 39 PSI with nitrogen in mine and always run with the arrow for correct rotation to sipe water."

Mike Neal, I appreciate hearing about your experience, that helped. Glad to see you have it mounted for correct rotation as some don't and backwards mounting never appealed to me. BTW would like to see your Dragon run in the rain pix sometime! Thanks. Jehu
    II Kings 9:20...and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously. A.K.J.V.

Bridgestone Potenza RFT 195/55-R16
    BT45R 130/70-18

Quote Originally Posted by mike neal View Post
    If I had only one upgrade that I could make on the F6B.....it would have to be to replace the stock tire with the BT 45. The improvement in handling, stability and just seat of pants feel is worth every penny. The added bonus of more miles between tire changes is just that an added bonus. Like others have said PSI is critical. I run 39 PSI with nitrogen in mine and always run with the arrow for correct rotation to sipe water. My brother owns the full wing and he also has thousands of hard miles on the BT 45. We ride throughout middle and east Tennessee, KY, NC and southern Indiana and very few miles are on the slab. Hard fast twisties are how we roll. Recently did the Dragons Tail in the rain and the BT 45 was amazing. Pictures of rooster tails and steam rolling off the front tire and brakes is pretty cool.

Also have the Yokohama on the rear so the Double Darkside patch goes on my vest. Finally gave up on the bogus paint issue and have the panels at the paint shop now for a custom two tone black and mango tango orange look. Will post some pics when we get it back together.

As many who follow this topic have previously stated.....until the chosen few extoll the virtues of "how it works" we will be stuck with the age old argument of why it will never work. Boy am I glad that the guy who sailed this way from Europe did not listen to Earth is flat folks.

Take care my friends. I would never try to convince anyone to use a rear tire on the front or a CT on the rear of their motorcycle. I am simply stating what works for me and "how it works".

If you spot a black and orange beast with orange rims....wave - I always do.
    Michael Neal
    Kudos to you Mike for a excellently penned post. Like you, I believe the BT-45's performance well surpasses that of the OEM Stone in all aspects of handling. Corner carving is both pleasurable and sure footed. Keep us up to date on your continued experiences with this tire and enjoy safe riding

bob109

185-55 R16

Just a note to add.... the Yokohama CT that I currently run on the F6B is 185-55 16R. This specific tire has a stiff sidewall and I project 30k plus hard miles before needing a new skin. The rollout is a bit less than the stock MC tire so the added advantage is a you are a little quicker off the line and it gives me more opportunity to utilize 4th gear. The difference is not huge but it is a welcome advantage for my style of riding. The downside is that you loose a little bit at extreme top end but that is not where I do all my riding. I think I gained about 125 rpm at 70mph and that is just a seat of the pants observation. Maybe somebody else has better RPM data for a tire that is slightly less tall than the OEM MC tire. I always run nitrogen and like 40psi in the rear. I also have the suspension dialed up for more of a stiffer rebound on the rear shock.
    Oh I forgot to add that this is not my first rodeo with the CT on the back. Logged over 60k miles on two different wings. I did have the Hankook on this F6B but replaced it with the Yokohama after 18k miles (picked up a construction spike in a work zone). I definitely like the sidewall stiffness of the Yokohama but as always it is rider preference.
    Ride safe my friends.
    Mike Nedal

It's ON now...

The BT 45 was mounted today and my inital impressions are that this was a good move. In my quick 75 mile run today I did not see twisties, just a variety of speeds from Interstate on down. This is a smooth running tire!

Can't believe I ever debated which direction to mount it, there are some in depth post out there that made me think about actually running it backwards (scientific data no less ). In the end mike neal suggested he was pleased mounting his the correct direction to swipe water. That rang true and I followed suit.

Currently running 41 lbs, 2 oz of Dyna beads with the lead sinker removed. Before mounting the BT 45, during decell I had a slight 40 something mph wobble, it was most noticable with both hands off the bars. It's gone. As soon as I can get in some Spring runs up and down the Blueridge Parkway I'll report back.

Next for consideration is nitrogen for both. Thanks all for your input, I'm pleased with my decision and appreciate your help.
    II Kings 9:20...and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously. A.K.J.V.

Bridgestone Potenza RFT 195/55-R16
    BT45R 130/70-18

Battlax BT-45 mileage update

Battlax BT-45; how many miles on yours?
    Pics would be great. bob109, Drive Jehu, mike neal (any relation to LB Neal?)

Almost time to replace the Elite 3 up front and I am seriously considering the Battlax BT-45.
    Thanks,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by yabiah View Post
    Battlax BT-45; how many miles on yours?
    Pics would be great. bob109, Drive Jehu, mike neal (any relation to LB Neal?)

Almost time to replace the Elite 3 up front and I am seriously considering the Battlax BT-45.
    Thanks,
    Tim
    Make no mistake! The BT-45 is a superior replacement for the OEM Stone and Dunlop Elite 3! The radius of the Ax is more pronounced when mounted to the 6 front rim in comparison to the OEM Stone and 1/4" narrower. A great coroner carving tire IMHO.

With currently just over 12.5K miles on the Ax I'm already in possession of a exact replacement.

Here's a few pics of the Ax and worn out Stone for comparison of the "center groove".

DSC_0006.jpgAttachment 12702

You can expect a bit of high frequency handlebar vibration form the Ax until you get a hundred or so miles on it. Once the center grove edges soften/round over the vibration is gone. No need to be alarmed just letting you know in advance what I experienced.

I mounted the Ax with the direction arrow same as the OEM Stone.

I currently have no pic of the Ax with 12.5K accumulated miles. Did a thread depth measurement and have 7/32" remaining out of the original 9/32" thread depth. If I get a chance I'll get a pic and post it.

Ride Safe

bob109