My adventures in F6B Audio Upgrade - Page 10
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: My adventures in F6B Audio Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    I initially just plugged the antenna into the aftermarket stereo. I think I may have had to have a short extension or something. Since then , though, I did away with the factory antenna and installed a hidden powered antenna that is under the back tail piece. The stock antenna isn't worth much in performance and was always bent over whenever I had luggage on the luggage rack anyways.

I am getting ready to replace the aftermarket stereo with another aftermarket stereo. Color display and some other cool factors. Putting this in.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/pmx-1r

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/pmx-8bb
    Thanks, same here - I already have the pmx 2 headunit , and I have ordered the pmx 1r to go were the original radio controls go. I looked at the pmx-8bb, but it keeps stating everywhere use the PMX-8DH controller?, but can use the pmx 1r added with 3 way cord. Let me know if you found out that the pmx 1r can be used byitself with the pmx-8bb. by the Way the pmx 1r will be a tight fit where the stock radio controls are now- if that's where your mounting it. I like the way the pmx2 is working so far with the features, but it will not fit at all where the stock radio controls go, so that why I'm getting the pmx 1r to control the pmx 2
    2015 Matte Silver F6B (Current Bike)
    2011 Yamaha Stryker Copper Red (Wife's Current Bike)
    2011 Yamaha Stryker Impact Blue (Traded in for F6B)
    1997 Yamaha YZF 1000 (1997-2015 - sold recently)
    1995 Yamaha YZF 600 (1995-1997)
    1984 Yamaha FJ 600 (1984-1993)
    1981 Suzuki GS 450 E (1983-1984)

I come from the Sport Bike World. The things I used to blow by, I now cruise by and enjoy......

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Tater View Post
    Thanks, same here - I already have the pmx 2 headunit , and I have ordered the pmx 1r to go were the original radio controls go. I looked at the pmx-8bb, but it keeps stating everywhere use the PMX-8DH controller?, but can use the pmx 1r added with 3 way cord. Let me know if you found out that the pmx 1r can be used byitself with the pmx-8bb. by the Way the pmx 1r will be a tight fit where the stock radio controls are now- if that's where your mounting it. I like the way the pmx2 is working so far with the features, but it will not fit at all where the stock radio controls go, so that why I'm getting the pmx 1r to control the pmx 2
    Yes the PMX-1r has all the same functionality as the PMX-8dh with the exception that the PMX-8dh has a video input. The video input is for options that might be utilized on a boat or something , but not on the bike.To be safe, I had emailed Rockford Fosgate on the subject. They confirmed that was the case. Yes I am planning on mounting the PMX-1R right where the stereo contorls used to be on the left side of my fairing. I removed those controlss last year and fabbed up a panel there just for this purpose. When I initially bought the Clarion unit, it was because the Rockford was at that time still unavailable. It was several months, like more than a year before the Rockford finally became available.

What the 8bb does have, that the other ones do not, is "Steering Wheel Input". I'll be using a PAC Sw1-RC to adapt the Handlebar controls of the bike to operate the volume. channel up/down etc... At least that is my plan. Besides that, the 8BB also has a voltage function that is supposed to be displayable on the display. Not the main reason for buying it, but a nice feature to have.
    I'll be installing the 8BB where the Clarion unit is now, which is in the box under the passenger seat where the factory "Audio Unit " used to be located.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Yes the PMX-1r has all the same functionality as the PMX-8dh with the exception that the PMX-8dh has a video input. The video input is for options that might be utilized on a boat or something , but not on the bike.To be safe, I had emailed Rockford Fosgate on the subject. They confirmed that was the case. Yes I am planning on mounting the PMX-1R right where the stereo contorls used to be on the left side of my fairing. I removed those controlss last year and fabbed up a panel there just for this purpose. When I initially bought the Clarion unit, it was because the Rockford was at that time still unavailable. It was several months, like more than a year before the Rockford finally became available.

What the 8bb does have, that the other ones do not, is "Steering Wheel Input". I'll be using a PAC Sw1-RC to adapt the Handlebar controls of the bike to operate the volume. channel up/down etc... At least that is my plan. Besides that, the 8BB also has a voltage function that is supposed to be displayable on the display. Not the main reason for buying it, but a nice feature to have.
    I'll be installing the 8BB where the Clarion unit is now, which is in the box under the passenger seat where the factory "Audio Unit " used to be located.
    Would be nice to have the steering wheel input, but not a dealbreaker right now for me. But after i see what you can do, I may change to that unit in the future. Thanks

I come from the Sport Bike World. The things I used to blow by, I now cruise by and enjoy......

Jimmytee , I got caught up in the about the Rockford Fosgate stuff. Back to my original question about the antenna connection? I got the aftermarket with an extension cable, but the F6B antenna has special/different plug connector on it. Did you cut that connector and splice into it?, or did you find some kind of adapter. Also what aftermarket powered antenna did you go with?

Jimmytee , I got caught up in the about the Rockford Fosgate stuff. Back to my original question about the antenna connection? I got the aftermarket with an extension cable, but the F6B antenna has special/different plug connector on it. Did you cut that connector and splice into it?, or did you find some kind of adapter. Also what aftermarket powered antenna did you go with?
    I have an adapter, I believe, but don't think it was something I bought, it was just among the collection of stuff I had laying around. There are a few on this page. If I think about it, I'll look around and see which one it is.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=1NON9CLPTUGJK

I believe this is the one I used. It actually came from an install I had done in a Ford Econoline. I dunno it worked...lol

https://www.amazon.com/2007-2014-Fac...+for+car+radio

Honestly, it seemed to work at least as well as it did with the factory antenna hooked to the factory system. To be honest, I really don't use the terrestrial radio much if at all. I'm usually using Sirius XM ,USB, or Bluetooth I heart or Pandora from my phone. Living in Kentucky, terrestrial radio gets static and fades in and out with hills a bit. I'd post a picture of my antenna, but we don't have that feature back yet. You do know that the cable unplug from the bottom of the OEM antenna though right? The short cable that is attached to the Grey plug affixed to the antenna mounting bracket. A couple of the selections from the first page I linked to , are adapter kits. That might be the best route, then you can determine what works best.

Honestly, it seemed to work at least as well as it did with the factory antenna hooked to the factory system. To be honest, I really don't use the terrestrial radio much if at all. I'm usually using Sirius XM ,USB, or Bluetooth I heart or Pandora from my phone. Living in Kentucky, terrestrial radio gets static and fades in and out with hills a bit. I'd post a picture of my antenna, but we don't have that feature back yet. You do know that the cable unplug from the bottom of the OEM antenna though right? The short cable that is attached to the Grey plug affixed to the antenna mounting bracket. A couple of the selections from the first page I linked to , are adapter kits. That might be the best route, then you can determine what works best.
    Thanks, I did not know that that pigtail from the antenna unplugged. Glad to know and will try that adapter. I mostly listen to usb myself , but its good to have FM and this polk also has the WB. - if needed. Just a note, the album art does not show up with a usb. I have an old iPhone that I have plugged in and works great (found a use for it- instead of collecting dust).

Thanks, I did not know that that pigtail from the antenna unplugged. Glad to know and will try that adapter. I mostly listen to usb myself , but its good to have FM and this polk also has the WB. - if needed. Just a note, the album art does not show up with a usb. I have an old iPhone that I have plugged in and works great (found a use for it- instead of collecting dust).
    Yeah that was my understanding if using a USB connected to an Android phone. You need an I phone for the album art. I most likely would the USB for a thumb drive anyways. Whenever I want content from my phone , I just use Bluetooth. The Sirius XM should have whatever graffics are transmitted from each station though.

Yeah that was my understanding if using a USB connected to an Android phone. You need an I phone for the album art. I most likely would the USB for a thumb drive anyways. Whenever I want content from my phone , I just use Bluetooth. The Sirius XM should have whatever graffics are transmitted from each station though.
    Not a big deal, just the cool -wow factor of the album art, I just happen to have a extra iPhone anyways and 30 plus gig is enough for my music. I just gonna leave plugged in and forget about it- the pmx 2 powers it up and charges it. I will post all my details on what I have done later, I did try to incorporate the factory head unit, with a unit to clean up the summing, rolloffs -etc for a flat signal, and I guess I'm too picky like you- but I was still getting what I consider unacceptable floor noise which is built into the head unit. I mean getting noise at lower volumes even and at 0, and when the calibration kicked in even increased it. You will be happy with the Rockford Fosgate Unit, no noises at 0 at all and very clean signal. I have been fabricating a plate to house the pmx 1r and the fog light and hazard (2015) buttons, has been an adventure so far working around issues for space, and radiator -etc.