My adventures in F6B Audio Upgrade - Page 11
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: My adventures in F6B Audio Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Tater View Post
    Not a big deal, just the cool -wow factor of the album art, I just happen to have a extra iPhone anyways and 30 plus gig is enough for my music. I just gonna leave plugged in and forget about it- the pmx 2 powers it up and charges it. I will post all my details on what I have done later, I did try to incorporate the factory head unit, with a unit to clean up the summing, rolloffs -etc for a flat signal, and I guess I'm too picky like you- but I was still getting what I consider unacceptable floor noise which is built into the head unit. I mean getting noise at lower volumes even and at 0, and when the calibration kicked in even increased it. You will be happy with the Rockford Fosgate Unit, no noises at 0 at all and very clean signal. I have been fabricating a plate to house the pmx 1r and the fog light and hazard (2015) buttons, has been an adventure so far working around issues for space, and radiator -etc.
    I've really been pretty happy with the Clarion unit. The Rockford PMX-8BB adds a couple more features and then there is the better display. better display. I really kind of toiled over whether to spend the money because the Clarion works pretty well, but the Rockford was what I really wanted in the first place, but they kept delaying the availability ,with no clear availability date at the time. Yesterday the 8BB arrived and today the PMX-1R remote with an extension cable arrived.
    Just as I was typing , the UPS guy brought me another package...lol I've got a number of things going on/planned for my F6B. Started to dig into the forks last weekend, upgrading the front suspension, when I realized I should have new fork seals and bushings if I'm taking the forks apart. Don't know why I hadn't thought of that before then. Installing All Balls Head Bearings and Progressive monotube cartridges.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    I've really been pretty happy with the Clarion unit. The Rockford PMX-8BB adds a couple more features and then there is the better display. better display. I really kind of toiled over whether to spend the money because the Clarion works pretty well, but the Rockford was what I really wanted in the first place, but they kept delaying the availability ,with no clear availability date at the time. Yesterday the 8BB arrived and today the PMX-1R remote with an extension cable arrived.
    Just as I was typing , the UPS guy brought me another package...lol I've got a number of things going on/planned for my F6B. Started to dig into the forks last weekend, upgrading the front suspension, when I realized I should have new fork seals and bushings if I'm taking the forks apart. Don't know why I hadn't thought of that before then. Installing All Balls Head Bearings and Progressive monotube cartridges.
    OMG, I am extremely pleased with this Rockford Fosgate PMX=8BB. I really didn't expect that much difference sonically, but wow and with all the features. By the way, Papa Tater, Bluetoothing Pandora from my phone I do get album art. Haven't been outside the garage yet to try Sirius XM. Really don't have things finalized yet , just loosely hooked up with the 8BB in the box where the Clarion was and before that the OEM audio unit. So many nice features, with the real DSP on board the 8BB. Thoroughly pleased.

OMG, I am extremely pleased with this Rockford Fosgate PMX=8BB. I really didn't expect that much difference sonically, but wow and with all the features. By the way, Papa Tater, Bluetoothing Pandora from my phone I do get album art. Haven't been outside the garage yet to try Sirius XM. Really don't have things finalized yet , just loosely hooked up with the 8BB in the box where the Clarion was and before that the OEM audio unit. So many nice features, with the real DSP on board the 8BB. Thoroughly pleased.
    Sounds Great, I haven't tryed the Pandora Yet. I'm still working on fabricating a plate to mount the PMX 1r and driving lights and Hazzard buttons. You will see things are tight - also those two threaded studs on the back won't remove, but you can loosen the nuts at the base and those studs will go inside the housing. I did leave the nuts on with a little of the threaded stud showing, I was afraid it would fall inside the housing and not be able to remove and add a unwanted rattle.
    2015 Matte Silver F6B (Current Bike)
    2011 Yamaha Stryker Copper Red (Wife's Current Bike)
    2011 Yamaha Stryker Impact Blue (Traded in for F6B)
    1997 Yamaha YZF 1000 (1997-2015 - sold recently)
    1995 Yamaha YZF 600 (1995-1997)
    1984 Yamaha FJ 600 (1984-1993)
    1981 Suzuki GS 450 E (1983-1984)

I come from the Sport Bike World. The things I used to blow by, I now cruise by and enjoy......

Sounds Great, I haven't tryed the Pandora Yet. I'm still working on fabricating a plate to mount the PMX 1r and driving lights and Hazzard buttons. You will see things are tight - also those two threaded studs on the back won't remove, but you can loosen the nuts at the base and those studs will go inside the housing. I did leave the nuts on with a little of the threaded stud showing, I was afraid it would fall inside the housing and not be able to remove and add a unwanted rattle.
    My PMX-1R is already mounted.

My PMX-1R is already mounted.
    Good to know you got it going, I'm just trying get those silly little buttons to look like factory and function like factory. (Driving Lights and Hazzard) not such a easy task- at least for me. More time spent on that and trimming speakers and speaker grill bezels than I care to admit.

I come from the Sport Bike World. The things I used to blow by, I now cruise by and enjoy......

Good to know you got it going, I'm just trying get those silly little buttons to look like factory and function like factory. (Driving Lights and Hazzard) not such a easy task- at least for me. More time spent on that and trimming speakers and speaker grill bezels than I care to admit.
    I had already prepared the panel last year when I removed the factory stereo controls from the left side that were no longer used with the Clarion unit.

All I had to do was to mount the PMX-1R into that location. It's up to you, but after trying to fab up a couple pieces to , I ended up sacrificing the panel with the buttons. I removed all the buttons but the one for the fog lights. I smoothed/flattened off the surface of that panel with a dremmel . I then cut a piece of ABS plastic , thinking it was 1/16 thick, to the shape to fit over the panel. I cut out the square opening to fit around the fog light switch. Used a heat gun to conform it to the slight bend in the panel and glued it to the surface. Looking at it , you'd never know unless I told you,which I just did. ...lol I

I mounted my PMX-1R using the 4 screws though the four corners and into the supplied bracket on the opposite side of the surface. As far as those 2 bolts, They are not needed unless you want to mount with that clamp , which there is no room for that. So the expedient thing to do is use a cut off wheel on a Dremmel and cut those bolts down as short as you can.

I mounted my PMX-1R using the 4 screws though the four corners and into the supplied bracket on the opposite side of the surface. As far as those 2 bolts, They are not needed unless you want to mount with that clamp , which there is no room for that. So the expedient thing to do is use a cut off wheel on a Dremmel and cut those bolts down as short as you can.
    I had planned on cutting off those 2 bolts, I don't have the guts to hack up the $450.00 control panel LOL yet. Taking a break tonight on the fabrication. I have decided I'm going to send back the PMX 2 and get the PMX 8bb, after hearing from you that I don't have to get the other controller. Wanting the same features I have, but adding the RDS for fm is a plus and hoping that you get the handle bar controls to work would be great. Now that Picts are working on the forum now, would be nice to see what it looks like and your panel mod.

I removed all the buttons but the one for the fog lights.
    Still at it I see. Jimmy, what did you do with the sacrificial factory buttons? I'm looking at maybe utilizing an empty spot in the factory radio panel to install a factory button and control the garage door.

I had planned on cutting off those 2 bolts, I don't have the guts to hack up the $450.00 control panel LOL yet. Taking a break tonight on the fabrication. I have decided I'm going to send back the PMX 2 and get the PMX 8bb, after hearing from you that I don't have to get the other controller. Wanting the same features I have, but adding the RDS for fm is a plus and hoping that you get the handle bar controls to work would be great. Now that Picts are working on the forum now, would be nice to see what it looks like and your panel mod.
    Pictures are working? Where?

Yeah, well sacrificing the panel was a choice I made. I figured that I will never return the bike to stock and if and when I were to sell, well she'll be sold with the goodies.

Yeah I am really digging the 8BB. I haven't got everything back in it's place yet. I did get the handlebar controls to work the 8BB. I can walk you through that, it's not hard. I did have a hiccup that got sorted out today. I bought a PAC Audio SWI-RC steering wheel control adapter. The instructions online and that came with the unit say to set a selector switch to a position categorized as "Other". This other category is supposed to cover some various brands including Rockford Fosgate. It didn't. After calling Tech support today, I was instructed to set the adapter to the position for "Clarion". That fixed it and now my handlebar controls are working. YEAHHHHHHHHH