My adventures in F6B Audio Upgrade - Page 4
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: My adventures in F6B Audio Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by thatonebiker View Post
    I haven't gotten much farther than that latley. Just got a bit lazy on it I still have a few months before I can ride and I was working on customizing my seat some and making ridged dually d2 fit in the stock location in the front cowling
    What is the "ridged dually d2" ?

Quote Originally Posted by thatonebiker View Post
    Those would probably look pretty good if you could get them in there. Had much luck? I have the OEM lights in mine. I bought them with part of the incentive money from Honda. Otherwise, I might have looked elsewhere.

I have them mounted for the most part might have to trim the cowling just a little on the one side and wire them up I got a oem fog light switch

Amp in the right hand cubby

JimmyTee,

I have been reading and devouring your threads on your audio work. First off, thank you for taking the time to work through the issues presented by the tupperware and location of things on our F6Bs... Not only woirk through them, but also take the time to explain them and take pix and post it all.... I am one very appreciative forum member who applauds your help to us all !!!

Looking at the location that thatonebiker put his amp (the right hand cubby), do you think the NVX amp would fit in there as well ?? I really pack my side bags tight when I travel, and am loathe to give up any space if I don't have to !!

Also, you siad you used 5.25 speakers in your front, but that others had found 6.25s that could be trimmed and made to fit the front... I have a set of Focal 6.25s available to me and was curious to get your take on them as front speakers...

On my old H-D, I had mounted in the tour pack a 6.5" sub with extra amp, and then ported the container for some awesome sound... I am still on the fence about what to do for bass sound on the F6B... Like I said, I hate to give up storage room... I may just settle for a better set of up-fronts with a better amp...

Anyway... any info you can continue to share is always welcome.... Thanks for all your efforts to date...

Ride safe

Joe

Thanks for the affirmation.
    I don't think that there would be a problem putting the amp in there. You would have to fab up a way to mount the amp. My decision to put the amp in the saddlebag had a lot to do with location and proximity to the power source and the fact that I was going to put a sub in the same saddlebag too. I had thought about putting the amp in the fairing, but as it is, I put it in the saddlebag.It really doesn't take up any usable space, but if you're not going to do a sub, then that is one less reason to put it in the saddlebag. Really, I could have flipped a coin on the final location. I was back and forth and just made the decision to put it where I did so I could progress. I didn't see any negatives to putting it in the saddlebag.

sound1.jpgsound8.jpgsound11.jpg

Thanks for the post

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post

What I did end up doing.

I chose to tap into the pre out signals. Now, at the time of doing this, I did not have the Honda Shop manual yet. I now have that. Got it from my dealer for $69. Pretty good deal considering the best I've seen the net was $10 more. The mechanic let me take some pictures of his manual and the wiring diagrams needed. He had to unwrap his manual as it was brand new. They are a very new dealer that opened up about 2 years ago I think . It's where I bought my F6B and they're just 2 miles or so down the road. cooldude I tried to get him to just give me his in exchange for the one I ordered, but he said he'd be in trouble if for some reason Honda were to find him without one on hand..
    I removed the tail end body work and removed the OEM amplifier. The amplifier resides in an enclosure by itself behind the rear wheel. I didn't have to remove the amplifier to tap into the signals, but my intention was to put the new amplifier in it's place. The audio signals that feed the amplifier come from the "Audio Unit" located under the passenger seat in a black enclosure. This would be equivalent to what would be called the head unit in car audio terms. The controls on the fairing left side are just that. Controls. I pulled out the amplifier and made the decision to cut the wiring harness in half. The amplifier has three bundles coming from the amp to a plug that plugs into the factory wiring harness. I cut the three bundles mid way and now I had the factory plug with the wires needed. If I ,for some reason, wanted to return the bike to stock, I will have to splice and solder all those wires back together. In those wires are the speaker wires for four speakers ( the bike is wired for all four speakers even though it only has the front speakers) , the wires for the pre out signals for all 4 channels and positive power and ground. I made up a harness, thinking I'd try to use all the factory wiring. This proved unsatisfactory and I ended up only using the pre out signals. Both the factory power leads and the factory speaker wiring degrade the sound substantially. Here is a pic of the harness i first made up.
    Attachment 10651

Jimmytee, thanks for posting your findings and install. Will be helpful to a lot of people.

I'm gonna have to buckle down and read this thread one of these days... subscribed.

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Jimmytee, thanks for posting your findings and install. Will be helpful to a lot of people.
    You're welcome. It was a little frustrating that I had to go through the steps I did to accomplish the final outcome. That is why I tried to chronicle it. For me to do it again, would be sooo much easier as I would not waste anytime with doing it any other way. The only change I probably would make would be to have gone ahead with the MM6501s instead. However, with the sub, I doubt you would be able to perceive any differences really. Without the sub, I'm sure the 6.5s would have some low end advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    I'm gonna have to buckle down and read this thread one of these days... subscribed.
    There are more than one ways to "skin a cat" I've been told, but as far as the mechanics of adding an amp to the F6B, I'm not convinced.