My adventures in F6B Audio Upgrade - Page 7
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: My adventures in F6B Audio Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by pressorv View Post
    This is info I posted on the other thread: the MM6501 is 3/16" deeper than the 651. so I may need to make more mods to make it fit. I'll be damned if I don't make this thing work though. I want the best sound I can get.
    How did it turn out?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honda 2007 Shadow
    Honda 2006 VTX
    Honda 2013 F6B

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    Thanks for the update. So you'd say you're pretty satisfied with the results?

I know I have been. I just stayed with the 5.25" MM series as they really do rock and with the sub filling in the bottom end things are great.
    I'm still satisfied with the results and there is now over 12,000 miles on the system and still running strong. The fog lights are awesome but I do get flashed once on awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmetoc View Post
    How did it turn out?
    I have the mm6501 kit installed for over 12,000 miles sofar the sound is great but it's alot of time and trimming required to make them fit

Hey Jimmy, I imagine you read this guys posts at one time. Whatr your thoughts?

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt.../338866?page=1

Quote Originally Posted by Hdnvn View Post
    Hey Jimmy, I imagine you read this guys posts at one time. Whatr your thoughts?

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt.../338866?page=1
    Yes I read that thread before. If you've read my posting then you'll know that my first attempts with the NVX amp was with trying to use the speaker outputs from the factory system. That would have been the simplest and less invasive way to accomplish what i wanted. I tried using the speaker level inputs of the amp and using an external set of high to low level adapters. Both results were the same. Unsatisfactory. So much so, that I would have left the sound system stock before settling with that.

By all means, try that way My experience is mine( a couple of others as well) Maybe with a higher end adapter or converter the results would be different or with a different amp, I don't know.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Jimmy did you 'unmount' the tweeters in the end?

Hey Jimmy, thanks for your guidance in this space. Installed a set of the new J&Ms (tried cutting down a set of Polks, but failed miserably). Have built a box and mounted a 8" Rockford sub in the left bag, powering everything off a a Focal amp. I was looking at adding Polk tweeters and was wondering if you had any luck unmounting them and installing in the stock location?

Quote Originally Posted by BruceN View Post
    Hey Jimmy, thanks for your guidance in this space. Installed a set of the new J&Ms (tried cutting down a set of Polks, but failed miserably). Have built a box and mounted a 8" Rockford sub in the left bag, powering everything off a a Focal amp. I was looking at adding Polk tweeters and was wondering if you had any luck unmounting them and installing in the stock location?

You need to share some details and pics.

My tweeters are the Polk Audio ones that came with the MM series component speaker set. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...io-MM6501.html
    I have them surface mounted over the same spot that the factory tweeters used to be. I was on the fence which way I wanted to go, but chose to surface mount them allowing me to have a little more flexibility in aiming the tweeters. The surface mounting allows them to swivel a little bit in their mounting cups.

Someone else chose to un-case the tweeters and mounted the tweeters in the factory location. So yes it can be done that way.

Audio Upgrade Complete (for now)

You need to share some details and pics.

My tweeters are the Polk Audio ones that came with the MM series component speaker set. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...io-MM6501.html
    I have them surface mounted over the same spot that the factory tweeters used to be. I was on the fence which way I wanted to go, but chose to surface mount them allowing me to have a little more flexibility in aiming the tweeters. The surface mounting allows them to swivel a little bit in their mounting cups.

Someone else chose to un-case the tweeters and mounted the tweeters in the factory location. So yes it can be done that way.
    As someone once said, it didn't happen if there were no pictures (or something like that)

8" Fosgate Punch, Focal Amp, J&M mid range speakers and Polk tweeters. Happy with this for the moment, the sound is pretty darn good.
    Attachment 19688Attachment 19689Attachment 19690

Quote Originally Posted by BruceN View Post
    As someone once said, it didn't happen if there were no pictures (or something like that)

8" Fosgate Punch, Focal Amp, J&M mid range speakers and Polk tweeters. Happy with this for the moment, the sound is pretty darn good.
    Attachment 19688Attachment 19689Attachment 19690
    Looks nice. Did you vent the saddlebag to allow air movement? Your amp looks like it is mounted where one of my three vets are.
    So you have the J&M speakers hooked up to the Polk crossover or no?
    Your sub looks like it takes up a little more space than mine. Is that a vented enclosure, did you make it?

Some details

Looks nice. Did you vent the saddlebag to allow air movement? Your amp looks like it is mounted where one of my three vets are.
    So you have the J&M speakers hooked up to the Polk crossover or no?
    Your sub looks like it takes up a little more space than mine. Is that a vented enclosure, did you make it?
    Hey Jimmy,

Used the stock wiring for the J&Ms and just wired up the tweeters with their supplied passive crossovers. Two vents in the bag wall behind the sub (tyre side) with frogzkins. Thinking about a third vent, but have not made up my mind location and how to tidy it up. Thinking about just going through the leading edge of the bag and covering up with a speaker grill of some type.

The enclosure is sealed and yes, I knocked it up myself. It is just bigger than the minimum volume required for the woofer.