Questions for the fast guys
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Questions for the fast guys

Questions for the fast guys

Picked up my 6 in December, a left over 13 red standard, and have only been able to put about 50 miles in so far. I’m a peg scrapper at heart, although I’ve never gotten a knee down. Nothing squidly here. On the street I’m quick enough to keep all my track day junky riding buddies interested when they are following me thru the mountains. Been riding the Smokies and the Gap since before it was the “Dragons Tail.” I’m coming off a 98 Valkyrie standard. (Never thought I’d say this out loud, but I think I do miss the chrome.) I’ve got two VFR’s (a 98 and a 2000) and a 250 ninja for the girlfriend in the stable now. Previously owned 3 V-65 Sabres, a GPZ 550, and started out 35 yrs ago on a little 305 kawi CSR. I picked up the valky because I wanted a big comfy scoot that I could ride every day and would still hold it’s own in the curves. From the first picture I saw of the 6 I wanted one, and I’ve chased enough Wings through the mountains to know what it is capable of.

I’ve been lurking around here on the board for a few weeks and have really learned a lot about what I think I may want to do as far as mods, but I need some seat time to get the wish list sorted. Riding season here in Cincy won’t be for a few months. Sorry I got so wordy, now the questions:

What drags after the pegs? And how deep into the pegs before things start to get out of hand? We all know that being smooth with the inputs and picking a good line early is the best way to be quick, especially with something this big and heavy. The Valk was fine on the pegs for a bit, but the next thing down was a hard, seat cover enema inducing, trip across the double yellow. Only got there once and learned what the limit was. The real question is how much cushion is left after the pegs touch? Or is that a line I don’t want to ever get to?

And BTW I’m pretty sure the red ones are faster---could Ducati and Ferrari been wrong all this time!

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    We lost a F6B in 2013 at the Dragon. Too fast and too much of a lean, down he went on a turn (New F6B Totaled).
    I understand that the famous "Yellow Wolf" recently lost his Goldwing on a turn also.
    When the pegs are scrapping ... I believe you are at 95% of maximum lean (don't hold me to it)
    Next part to touch the ground is your from crash bar which lifts your front tire off the asphalt (say a prayer)
    Next to touch is your rear crash bar.

Some have added Platinum pucks under their pegs, they shoot a trail of sparks for added effect.

You are not alone, many of us are Chromaholics.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Lean angle is not the issue... You can pick a better line and be faster... there are a few here that can give you an example at the rally if you want to see it done !!! Yes Yellow Wolf threw his in the bushes and has not been heard from since....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    We lost a F6B in 2013 at the Dragon. Too fast and too much of a lean, down he went on a turn (New F6B Totaled).
    I understand that the famous "Yellow Wolf" recently lost his Goldwing on a turn also.
    When the pegs are scrapping ... I believe you are at 95% of maximum lean (don't hold me to it)
    Next part to touch the ground is your from crash bar which lifts your front tire off the asphalt (say a prayer)
    Next to touch is your rear crash bar.

Some have added Platinum pucks under their pegs, they shoot a trail of sparks for added effect.

You are not alone, many of us are Chromaholics.
    Phantom...I find the need to correct a couple of points on this. First, the pucks are titanium, not platinum . And second, the peg pucks touch down to serve only as an indicator of where you are. You have a fair amount of relatively safe lean angle remaining. In my case, the next thing to touch down are the pipes, somewhere around the heat shield area. Now, after that, well, it gets pretty dicey but I would say it probably is the crash bars as you have pointed out. The last fast ride I took with a couple of Yellow Wolf's buddies, I never got past my pipes. One of those days was in the rain and I did fine except for one "pucker" moment when I hit wet leaves and the back stepped out a foot or so. The "6" handles surprisingly well for a large bike.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Belly pan then mufflers then eng guard. If you have berthing pegs on your engine guard it will catch an you will be sliding in to the promised land. The ideal we strive for is to set up properly for the curve and not drag at all. I ain't mastered it at all. Good luck.
    Deer Slayer
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it.

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Phantom...I find the need to correct a couple of points on this. First, the pucks are titanium, not platinum . And second, the peg pucks touch down to serve only as an indicator of where you are. You have a fair amount of relatively safe lean angle remaining. In my case, the next thing to touch down are the pipes, somewhere around the heat shield area. Now, after that, well, it gets pretty dicey but I would say it probably is the crash bars as you have pointed out. The last fast ride I took with a couple of Yellow Wolf's buddies, I never got past my pipes. One of those days was in the rain and I did fine except for one "pucker" moment when I hit wet leaves and the back stepped out a foot or so. The "6" handles surprisingly well for a large bike.
    Ken, Thank You for correcting me.
    Now that you've mentioned it, yes you are correct .... I also have scrapped my exhaust shields not once but twice (forgot about those incidents call it a brain fart) replaced the scraped OEM set with a chrome set 4 years ago and scraped the heck out of the chrome set last time we were in Franklin. Just went out to the garage and YUP scratches are still there .

I also drag my pegs, haven't had to replace the acorn nuts yet. But I just don't push the bike too much past the initial contact with the pavement. I agree these bikes handle very well, but my crotch rocket racing days are behind me and leaning over to the point where it may require a clean pair of underwear just isn't appealing to me anymore. Thanks again for the correction. Ride safe

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Bought my 6 in July 14, now have 5600 miles or so. Already see that new pegs are needing to be ordered soon. Need to put the pucks on this bike. Cuts down on buying pegs.

In past I've try this many times on my previous sport bikes . Never crashed any of them , but found is not necessary to cross the line , or unnecessarily spent money for repairs . I love my B so much and don't need to create any harm on her . Beside that , I spare my legs for dancing and walking on the beach .

Reading along and thinking---- Sometimes it is nice being old! I thought a lot about the B and what I could/would do once I got it. Never was one of those thoughts about dragging the pegs.

Still can't get the music too loud though.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Agree with Deer Slayer. Pegs, then the belly pan. When the front engine guard scrapes chances are so will your body somewhere.