Questions for the fast guys - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Questions for the fast guys

Slayer and Hornblower, that was what I was looking for. Been dancing with the Valk for six years, and ten on the big sabres (UJM's, not the customs). Didn't want to find out the hard way what was next. I've gotten the impression from the motorcycle mags that there is not too much shaft jaking with the wings, the sabre was pretty bad with that. Learned to trail the rear brake a bit on entrance and decel with the sabre which helped with the squatt, even through acceleration on exit which kept her from standing up and running wide. When you pushed the Valk she could get a little flexy in the frame. Always loved strafiing some gixr mounted poser on the Valk.

If you haven't done it yet, crank up your rear suspension to at least halfway. I was dragging way too much before I did that. Now I don't drag much at all, unless I'm trying.

One thing I have noticed on mine, and my previous 09 GW, is that these things don't give many "signals" that you are exceeding the envelope. They happily lean down further until all sorts of bits are dragging, and it kinda took me by surprise. I ride it like I'd drive an older Porsche 911; slow in, fast out and be smooth!

shooter
    Saber my son lives in Amelia and I haul a bike out there several times a year. We'll have to get together. We go over into KY and ride amish country and usually end up down in Rabbit Hash to take a break and enjoy a cold beverage. Stay off that front crash bar.

Draggin' belly pan...well, maybe. It really depends on the belly pan. Some pans mount further in like the Macgyver I have on now and it isn't nearly as susceptible to dragging. It's also a bit more robust than some of the other pans.

As far as taking better lines to prevent dragging of hard parts...that's only true to a point. Dragging is inevitably related to speed and corner angle. Also, as someone mentioned earlier, jacking up the rear suspension with preload is necessary for the more aggressive riders. In fact, some of the really aggressive riders install a longer custom-made rear shock clevis to raise it up even further.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Push Mountain Road in Arkansas. Foot peg dragging then a NEW scraping sound, wonder what that is. Then I could feel the front end starting to unload. On first inspection, just a heat shield. Next day I noticed what I thought was a mud spot. Nope, rust spot on right crash bar. I had shifted over on the seat on corner entry, not monkey style but a cheek. Since then I added a Show Chrome belly pan that I have shined up the edges on. Was going to touch up both heat shields but I keep shining them back up. I did find that the front section of the belly was not letting the pan to fully go up all the way. Trimmed 1/2" off each side.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Saber my son lives in Amelia and I haul a bike out there several times a year. We'll have to get together. We go over into KY and ride amish country and usually end up down in Rabbit Hash to take a break and enjoy a cold beverage. Stay off that front crash bar.
    Give me a hollar when you're this way.

Shooter, I grew up in Amelia, lived there off and on till I got hitched to a west side girl. Lost the girl, kept the house, live in Delhi now.

Right now I have my beloved F6B and my beloved CBR1000F. Two very different bikes that require and are built to do different things.My CBR is my need for speed baby. Footpegs and carriage high greater len angle possible and much higher top end.
    I dont have to explain the virtues of my 'B'.
    It will take curves surprisingly well at good speed and my 'chicken strips' have gotten narrower in the one season I have had it.I was surprised when I noticed how far I was leaning this bike.When I first got it I was touching my toe to the ground,using the riding style I was used to on the CBR with my toes down. Changed that after scaping my boots.
    I live in Colorado and get plenty practice in the mountains.
    All said on either bike when the pegs touch,my brain takes over and reminds me that I dont want to know what will scrape next. I am going too fast and while that sounds exiting,losing the bike is not on my list of things to do.
    IMHO when the pegs scrape,next is something hard that will upset the bike...or something soft like my @ss -Chill boy racer

Quote Originally Posted by grendl View Post
    All said on either bike when the pegs touch,my brain takes over and reminds me that I dont want to know what will scrape next.
    +1
    Always a good and safe ride,
    Karim