Questions for the fast guys - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Questions for the fast guys

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    I never said that I ride like that all the time. On occasion, I push the limits of the bike but my comfort level is probably a lot higher than most in the mountains. I have forty years of experiece riding the twisties. I make no claim to be the fastest but I do run with some extremely fast wingers from time to time. I spent a few years road racing motorcycles and I know how to pick the fastest lines throught the corners. If you and another rider take the same line through the corner and you are at 35 degrees of lean and they are at 40 degrees, I promise you will be a lot slower than they are. It is simply the laws of physics at work. I also know and understand my comfort zone and the limits of the machinery that I ride. Like I always say, " Ride your ride" and don't tell me how to ride mine.
    What laws of physics? More lean means less downward force on the tires, which means less friction and traction no?

Keith Code has some interesting comments on the subject; he's in the camp that says more lean is not necessarily faster.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiSteve View Post
    According to you I should be playing the lotto? This is both sides. Real pictures here guys not bullshit theories or advice. You CAN drag engine guards. Just depends how good you are.
    Nothing like patting yourself on the back eh

I jam just dragging my arse out of bed.Having a Java and reading this...always interesting. Never a dull moment. Everyone enjoy the wknd.

Quote Originally Posted by Wmorgan2k View Post
    I'm just offering either A: slow down a little and don't drag your parts or be learn how to be fast by using body position, throttle control and your brain vs brute force of dragging your $25,000 motorcycle all over the asphalt.
    I'm sorry but I just have to call on this. Of course, taking good lines and using body position are factors but ultimately whether or not you drag hard parts on a Gold Wing is based on speed and turn radius. If you go fast enough, you will drag hard parts in the twisties on this bike, regardless of your skill level or technique. In fact, the very fastest Wing riders have added suspension components to improve the clearance. And speaking of skill, I know of no better big bike rider than Big Dawg and, whether you realize it or not, you have come across in a chiding manner to one who, I'm confident, can ride circles around you. So, go ahead and talk the talk but I ain't buying what you're selling!
    Ken (Hornblower)

" Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I practice proper riding techniques and which include proper throttle control, proper line choosing in a turn and countersteering etc...Been practicing these techniques since I started riding on the street at age 16. It is true that with proper technique you can get through a corner faster and at reduced lean angles, but if you're riding fast enough, you're going to come to a point where your pegs and parts are going to touch down, plain and simple.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    I practice proper riding techniques and which include proper throttle control, proper line choosing in a turn and countersteering etc...Been practicing these techniques since I started riding on the street at age 16. It is true that with proper technique you can get through a corner faster and at reduced lean angles, but if you're riding fast enough, you're going to come to a point where your pegs and parts are going to touch down, plain and simple.
    And its just that simple ladies and gents. Jimmy hit the nail on the head. You ride it hard enough you're gonna scratch it. I don't care what you think you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    You will need two bags!

You guys must be talking about leaning flat over in a long sweeper.

My scuffs are from pivoting on the front wheel 90% of the bikes weight on the front tire cornering.

I have yet to scrape exhaust or anything aft of the pegs. You guys should try sitting as far forward on the seat as u can elbows bent.

Most of us that ride the big school busses in a spirited fashion, have installed traxxion forks with stronger springs in the front along with a fork brace and a Penski shock in the rear. I also have the fork tubes pushed down in the trees to raise the front of the bike even higher, In the rear I have a custom clevis on the rear shock that is 1/4" longer than stock with results in raising the rear 3/4" . My kick stand is an 1" longer than stock to compensate for the bike being so much higher. Bottom line, it takes a lot more lean angle to drag pegs on this bike than a stock one. However, when I am dragging pegs, a rider on a stock bike could be in trouble trying to stay with me. I will stay that there are a group of guys that I ride with that have similar set ups on their wings and they are all extremely fast. Most all of them are running a car tire on the rear too.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    Most of us that ride the big school busses in a spirited fashion, have installed traxxion forks with stronger springs in the front along with a fork brace and a Penski shock in the rear. I also have the fork tubes pushed down in the trees to raise the front of the bike even higher, In the rear I have a custom clevis on the rear shock that is 1/4" longer than stock with results in raising the rear 3/4" . My kick stand is an 1" longer than stock to compensate for the bike being so much higher. Bottom line, it takes a lot more lean angle to drag pegs on this bike than a stock one. However, when I am dragging pegs, a rider on a stock bike could be in trouble trying to stay with me. I will stay that there are a group of guys that I ride with that have similar set ups on their wings and they are all extremely fast. Most all of them are running a car tire on the rear too.
    Which fork brace do you recommend ? I have had the Traxxion front and Penski rear, but never had the fork braces.